floppy baby?

A place to put all your general HG related questions, topics and comments.

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme

floppy baby?

Postby Janehh » Nov 11, 2004 11:22 am

I'm in my 2nd hg pregnancy, and thinking back to everything that stank about the last time...After my son was born, we had a terrible scare because he was "hypotonic", basically he had low muscle tone and was floppy. He couldn't nurse properly and his legs and arms dangled loosely instead of curling up like newborn's usually do. We were scared to death and worried about all kinds of dire things, but he got gradually more "toned" over the next 3 months and at 2 is perfectly fine--strong and very active.
Anyway, my sister is a np and told my story to a dr. at her practice. The doc said she had heard of other hypotonic babies born to hg mothers.
Anybody heard of or experienced this?
Jane
Janehh
Been There Done That

Postby emily » Nov 11, 2004 12:00 pm

We didn't, but how scary!

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

Not Here

Postby adelmaal » Dec 09, 2004 5:39 pm

We did not experience this with my daughter or my son but... My daughter did have an awful hard time breastfeeding. She did not fuss but it would take her about 1 1/2 hours to get a letdown if at all. I was up all night all the time with her nursing forever. She would nurse every hour to hour and a half and it would take her that long just to get a meal.
Aryn-Leah

Alexandria Caelan, DOB 3/25/95
Cole Vincent, DOB 5/27/98
Raegan Reese, EDD July 24 2005
adelmaal
Been There Done That

Postby jlgrafix » Jan 06, 2005 10:45 am

My son was "floppy" but he also was born with Down syndrome so I think that may have been the cause of it.

Will let you know if the second child is "floppy" also.

Interesting point.

Jen
----------------
Jen
DS 9-01 (HG from weeks 6-32)
Due with DD Jan 12, 05 (HG started at 6 weeks and still going)
jlgrafix

Postby Guest » Mar 01, 2005 9:36 pm

My son has low muscle tone, but I and some family members do as well. Low muscle tone can coincide w/ other issues, such as sensory issues. I know I have low tone and numerous sensory issues - oversensitivity to stimulation, oversensitivity to motion/motion sickness, oversensitivity to medications and side effects, easily fatigued, uncoordinated, etc.

I think the HG might have been related to these issues for me - an oversensitivity to the hormoones of pregnancy. I wonder if other HG moms have sensory issues and low tone issues - and if so, low muscle tone may be inherited by their babies more often than in the general population.

One of the theories of HG is that the hormones cause the muscles in the digestive system to relax too much/ slow down digestion. If a women already has low tone, and the muscles in the digestive system relax even more, that may cause an excessive amount of muscle relaxation and excessive sickness? I wonder if women w/ low muscle tone or women w/ sensory integration difficulties are more prone to HG.

Postby chichie » Mar 08, 2005 7:24 am

This is really an interesting issue, I always thought that the fact I staid in my bed nearly all the pregnancy and did not move a lot could partly explain the lack of willing to move of Elisa. She is 13 months and just starting to moove only one meter or 2: she is sat and move like this, with her legs. Contrary to waht you said, she is not exactly "hypotonic" since she can for example stand up on her legs if I place her in that position. BUT she never moves by herself, I never saw her to stand up alone. It's like she had no idée a human being is done to move :roll: and when I do think about it, it's logical: she staid 8 months in my tomy and I did not moove, she is not used to the movement senstions maybe, well it's my idea... :?
Elisa born on february 2004, 6kg610 and 52.5cm at week 38, after HG weignt loss 8%
chichie

Postby hollymom » Mar 08, 2005 4:05 pm

My youngest son, born January 18, 2004, had low tone. In fact, he was unable to nurse and had to be fed with a cup and a special bottle (a Haberman feeder that allows you to squeeze milk into the mouth) until he was finally able to nurse at ten weeks of age. The lactation consultant who helped me was an angel. By about twelve weeks, the hypotonia seemed to have resolved and except for slight upper body hypotonia he is fine today. I have no idea if it was related to the hg, but I did have a very severe case of it. I had hg with my other pregnancies, but none of my other babies had this problem.

Love, Holly xxx
Holly xxx
wife to Brian
mom to eight beautiful children
five hg pregnancies
three adoptions
hollymom
Been There Done That

Postby chichie » Mar 08, 2005 5:48 pm

hollymom how was your youngest son's weight at birth?
Elisa born on february 2004, 6kg610 and 52.5cm at week 38, after HG weignt loss 8%
chichie

Postby hollymom » Mar 08, 2005 6:49 pm

Hi Chichie,

Jonathan weighed 7 pounds 4 ounces, but he was 22 inches long so he was a skinny baby! I am thankful that I was receiving nutrition (T.P.N.) through a picc line during my pregnancy and I think that helped him to grow well despite my continuous vomitting.

Welcome to the forum Chichie! I read your introduction in another thread and am sorry to hear how very hard your pregnancy was. Thank you for trying to educate the people of France about hyperemesis. Hopefully, things will get better there for the other women who are suffering.

Love, Holly xxx
Holly xxx
wife to Brian
mom to eight beautiful children
five hg pregnancies
three adoptions
hollymom
Been There Done That

Postby chichie » Mar 09, 2005 4:01 am

arg how many kilos does it make? :lol:

I think the worst was not HG itself (well of course not funny huu :shock: ) but doctors' ignorance and tha lack of comprehension around me :cry: "she exagerates" " this is psychological" and so on... :roll:
chichie

Return to Polls & General HG Questions