fibromyalgia post hg?

A place to put all your general HG related questions, topics and comments.

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme

Have you been diagnosed with fibromyalgia?

yes
39%
no
39%
no, but I suspect I may have it
22%

Total votes : 18

fibromyalgia post hg?

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 08, 2004 2:36 pm

Anyone else diagnosed with fibromyalgia after delivery? My diagnosis was four years in coming, but the symptoms of fibromyalgia were present early after Christopher arrived.

Also diagnosed with ibs in early 90s. . .the whole cluster of disorders (what's the right word--I've heard it called fibrous 5 or something like that) includes: tmj, fibromyalgia, ibs, chronic fatigue syndrome, and oops, can't remember. FMS is coupled with different conditions at different sites, but here are some basic resources.

What is fibromyalgia?
http://fmaware.org/fminfo/brochure.htm#whatis

http://www.gnc.com/health_notes/healthn ... 07&lang=en

Article about links between ibs and fibromyalgia
http://www.pharmacytimes.com/article.cfm?ID=1264

Large index of sites on fibromyalgia and related conditions
http://www.fibromyalgia.net
Last edited by IslandDreamer on Feb 02, 2005 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

six months after first born

Postby kmwilson » Aug 18, 2004 8:59 am

Six months after my first child was born, my doctors thought I had a rare form of arthritis called Spondylitis. However, over the years my symptoms and progress didn't match other anklyosing spondylitis patients.

Therefore, we started all over with the tests and x rays etc. There were a lot of symptoms that didn't fit in anywhere. Low and behold I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.

Only two weeks after that my mother was diagnosed with fibro as well by a completely different doctor.

The great news was fibro wouldn't kill me or disable me as would the other diagnosis. Chronic fatigue, battling headaches, pains that aren't explained but aren't all that frequent anyway etc. are my symptoms. My main symptoms is to be completely wiped out, feeling like the flu, after having seized the day several days in a roll. Then I have to take it easy and let my body rest.
Kimberly
Frisco, TX
2 HG Pregnancies
Daughter 2000
Son 2002

HG began at 6-8 wks; Zofran from 12 wks until around 25-26 wks. Despite HG, I loved the miracle of birth.
kmwilson

Postby jjbeck » Aug 24, 2004 9:11 pm

I was dx w/ fibro years ago, but recently my doc says no, I dont meet the criteria, the painful points. I have lots of arthralgia and joint inflammation though. I do have the IBS, TMJ, hypermobilty interstitial cycstis , dreadful fatigue etc. Mine may or may not be from having had lyme disease ( chronic lymes).
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Possibly Fibromyalgia

Postby Katagillian » Nov 16, 2004 6:18 pm

Hello!

It's been a long time since anyone posted here, but I thought I would give more on my vote of "I think I have it."

Since last year (when I weaned my youngest child) I've had a lot of unexplained symptoms. After spending a year on tests (you name it, I've had it done) things have been narrowed down to either Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I go to a new doctor on Dec. 3rd to figure that out.

I can't help but wonder if all these health problems have anything to do with three HG pregnancies in a six year span. From what I read it seems a lot of women with HG suffer from various things since they had their babies. (and yes, I've got IBS too, a very common complait it seems)
Kristine

mother of Aleksandr (9), Thaddeus (7), Elisabeth (HG, 6), Amanda (HG, 4), and Sarah (HG, 4)
Katagillian

fibromyalgia or ?

Postby Abby » Jan 08, 2005 12:45 am

I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia post-partum. I had a strange cluster of symptoms: muscle ache, insomnia, cystitis, and digestive symptoms as well. I was very sick. Several things helped me, so I can't say for sure which worked (but I'm pretty much symptom-free now). I had acupuncture, treatment from a very good homeopath, and also --a mercury detox protocol. It turns out my mercury level was very high! I don't know whether or not this was related to the HG. Please feel free to email me if you want more info about any of this.
Abby

WOW, Me too!!!

Postby katismommy » Feb 09, 2005 10:48 am

I was kindly redirected to this post after I had posted something similar about my symptoms of CF/Fibro/IBS. My doctors thought I had Lupus but my tests said otherwise. SO after several nos on my tests he said I had CFS/FIB/IBS but that it was just a "dumping ground diagnoses" when nothing else seems to fit. Since my last pregnancy w/HG I have been totally fatigued! Yes, it feels like I am coming down with the Flu, low grade fevers, joint pain, migraines, muscle weakness and fatigue - feels like I ran a marathon, digestive and menstrual problems, foggy memory, I even forgot how to drive one day yikes!!! After any exertion I am on the couch for days just too tired to move.
What my Rheumatologist found out from a huge panel of blood tests:
ANA Positive; CRP elevated; some protien in urinalysis; cortisol levels slightly low; thyroid mildly enlarged on US, but tests came back normal. Then he told me to just deal with it...hah!
I am on Lexapro for the depression, and I was given Naproxen for joint pain - but I really don't take it because I have had a past history of kidney infections and I know that the ibuprofen in Naproxen can worsen kidney problems. I am now going to see a Holistic dr this week.
The worst thing is that I weigh more now than I did when I was 9ms preg!!! I hate this. I was an athelete most of my life until HG. Running, gymnastics, swimming you name it. My norm wt is around 105, I am now at 162, and I feel trapped because I cannot exercise to get this off!
I will let you all know if the Holistic doc tells me anything good!
katismommy

me again

Postby IslandDreamer » Feb 09, 2005 10:58 am

Hi,

I just wondered if the doctors ran the thyroid antibody test? You may show normal on the standard test, and the antibodies are present and causing symptoms like you describe. [u]Living Well with Hypothyroidism[/u] by Mary Shomon lists all the tests in detail along with tons of other helpful information.

I hope there is something useful on this thread and that it was okay with you that I linked it.

Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Thank you!

Postby katismommy » Feb 09, 2005 10:04 pm

You have been so helpful. Thank you!!!
I will check with my dr about the tests that were taken and see what may need to be done. I appreciate the leads and the links.

Take care,

katismommy

HG survivor/mommy to 3 - Izaak 8/Ethan 4/ Kati 2
katismommy

Return to Polls & General HG Questions