Please list your baby's and your own post hg complications

A place to put all your general HG related questions, topics and comments.

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme

Please list your baby's and your own post hg complications

Postby sickmama » Jul 04, 2004 11:59 pm

I have been told that my daughter's many complications are totally unrelated to my HG, but I'm not buying it. I'd love to hear about the issues you and your child have had that you believe might be related to HG.

Miya:
Reflux - continues at 13 months
Umbilical Hernia - closed at 5 months
Sacral dimple - deep pit at the top of the "crack" of the rear.
VSD - small murmer, still exists at 13 months.

Me:
Gallbladder disease - developed at 8 months pregnant
Heart palpitations - still suffering, undiagnosed.
gastritus - treating with Prevacid.
Karen - HG Survivor
Mother of Miya Laurenza, born June 5, 2003 - severe HG until 16 weeks, then mild HG until delivery
Siena Michaela - due July 16, 2010 - mild HG 5-16 weeks, medically fluffy since then.
Blog: http://hgkaren.blogspot.com

"Courage is not about being unafraid, it is being scared, and doing it anyway!"
sickmama
Been There Done That

Postby Valerie Cruz » Jul 06, 2004 2:55 am

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my HG and I never asked but both of my daughter have had problems.

Vanessa, 6yrs: born with jaundice, diagnosed with asthma, and was sick every 3 months until this year. She has been doing pretty good.

Serenity, 5mon: born with jaundice, gets really sick and sounds like asthma (so far she hasn't been diagnosed), so far she's been sick three different times.

Myself: since my first pregnancy I've only gotten severe UTI's, I bleed and have to be hospitalized.

I'm pregnant again and I'm hoping this time the baby is very healthy.
Valerie
Valerie Cruz

Postby mandy » Jul 06, 2004 8:31 am

My children and I have all been absolutely healthy. My 4yr old has asthma (which I believe is unrelated). Otherwise no problems atall.
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby emily » Jul 06, 2004 2:24 pm

My daughter has been the picture of health as well. I think I got really lucky though. I don't know anyone else that has a child as healthy as mine.. all of my friends are complaining about all of their children's health problems.
emily
Devoted to You

Postby kirsty » Jul 24, 2004 3:10 am

my first child is as healthy as an ox, my second has severe reflux still at 18 months and eats like a bird, only just weaned. I have digestive problems now, and take zantac at night. also had my gallbladder removed when my second was 3 months
Kirsty
kirsty
Welcomed Friend

Postby stephensmam » Aug 08, 2004 5:31 pm

first baby now 6 severe reflux lots of meds didnt cleare up till aprox 20 months, positional talipies in both feet had to have physio and had his legs a feet strapped up for 7 months, developed asthma at 1 and a half constant chest infections every 6 weeks till he had his tonsils and adoinoids out when he was 2 and a half then got the usual chicken pox and got very bad whooping cough at 8 months dispite inoulations , what else oh yes has ADHD severe language disorder and a severe sensory disorder but i thinsk that only the reflux is related to teh hg, and its deffinatly nothing to do with any meds i took cause i didnt take any only ivs with him this pg dont know im hoping shes well and healthy but im prepared for reflux too.
lots of love and hugs Jacqueline
HG pg no 1 28/04/98 darling son Stephen ivs only,pnd
HG pg no 2 01/09/04 darling daughter Sarah ivs , zofran, steroids, meclizine, b6.http://lilypie.com/Kids_Birthday_code.p ... y_code.php#
stephensmam
Been There Done That

Healthy?

Postby kmwilson » Aug 18, 2004 9:02 am

Both my children were quite healthy with excellent apgar scores as well. As long as I practice yoga regulary, I'm in the best shape of ever. However, I have to drink water more than before or my body can not handle as much.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia lately and it is kept at bay by practicing yoga and seeing my chiropractor regularly.

I've been blessed.
Kimberly
Frisco, TX
2 HG Pregnancies
Daughter 2000
Son 2002

HG began at 6-8 wks; Zofran from 12 wks until around 25-26 wks. Despite HG, I loved the miracle of birth.
kmwilson

Postby Caurie » Aug 26, 2004 10:07 am

Brice
~ Large umbilical hernia
~ Two partially webbed toes
****I am not sure the degree (if any) HG and the medications I was on (Anzemat, Unisom, Pepcid and Prozac) played in these - but thought I would still mention.

Myself
~ Osteopenia (pre-cursor to Osteoporosis) My OB believes my severe HG contributed to this.
HG Survivor and Mommy to:
Brice 11/04/03
Pregnant! #2 due 01/29/07
Caurie

Postby nomore » Aug 26, 2004 10:32 am

Intereing reading:

My Daughter Madison: 18 months today! She still suffer from reflux, but her dosage had not been increased since she was 6 months old, although she isnt ready to wean yet. We actually have an upper Gi series amd lower bowel flat and up right scheduled for her this coming Monday to rule out a possible hernia. Otheriwse is very well on track for age, with a vocabulary too high to even count any more.. well over 200 words. Physically is in 25% for weight and 50-75% for height. Motor skills are on track as well. (Crawled just before 6 months and walked at 10 months). Still, there doesnt go a day when I dont worry that the meds I took for HG didnt somehow hurt her.

ME:

GERD & Gastritis, diaginosed after HG, which I take aciphex for (Although I had reflux problems at a much smaller rate for several years before HG).

Gallbaldder- removed 3 weeks ago. I delayed it from when DD was born, but got it out before we TTC again. Nausea and pain has finally STOPPED.. yeah!

Weight: Cant seem to knock off the last 15 pounds of weight- I havea much harder time denying myself food- since I counlnt really eat much for 10 months!!!
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby Suzand3girls » Sep 19, 2004 9:08 pm

Rachael, 8: asthma, allergies, eczema. I don't think these are HG related, family history of all of them.

Annika, 5: asthma, allergies, eczema. Severe reflux, still medicated and will likely have more testing soon as it is suddenly becoming worse again. Speech delayed, Sensory Integration Dysfunction, Dysphagia (swallow disorder) has resolved. I wonder if the reflux isn't HG related somehow. Her therapists tell me the speech, SID and dysphagia are all likely caused by the reflux. She may have a hiatal hernia as well.

Linnea, 2: asthma, allergies, eczema. Reflux, still a problem but she is off of all meds currently and we are holding our breath hoping to keep her that way. She does have a hiatal hernia.

Me: Uterine Prolapse, HG very likely played a big role in this.
Susan, 4X HG survivor with 4 beautiful girls, 7-18-96, 9-9-99, and 6-10-02, 4-8-08
Suzand3girls
Been There Done That

Postby adelmaal » Feb 11, 2005 3:07 pm

Daughter: Bad reflux (lots of projectile vomiting), low birth weight, sleep issues, allergies to the point where she eventually had her adnoid out, tonsils out and tubes put into her ears (my HG was untreated with her and threw up relentlessly the whole way through)

Son: Asthma, Allergies, Ecsema, chronic ear infections/ruptured ear drums (my HG was treated with Phenergan with him and I threw up less and eventually not at all)

They are now 7 and 10 and have since outgrown all their health issues.

ME: Borderline high cholesterol (probably more genetic than anything else) - I weigh 115 and am 5' 4".
Aryn-Leah

Alexandria Caelan, DOB 3/25/95
Cole Vincent, DOB 5/27/98
Raegan Reese, EDD July 24 2005
adelmaal
Been There Done That

Postby adelmaal » Feb 11, 2005 3:17 pm

I'm amazed at how many children in here had REFLUX. There's got to be a connection. None of my friends had HG and none of them had children with REFLUX. They all looked at my baby like she was possessed when she would puke accross the room - LOL.
Aryn-Leah

Alexandria Caelan, DOB 3/25/95
Cole Vincent, DOB 5/27/98
Raegan Reese, EDD July 24 2005
adelmaal
Been There Done That

Postby earthangel637 » May 05, 2005 2:43 pm

I was diagnosed with HG March 2004 with my second pregnancy. I was put on Zofran and felt a lot better by my seventh month. My son Malachi was born September 30,2004. He was absolutely perfect at birth. He had an umbilical hernia that drained a little blood every day and was finally closed when he was 6 months. Now I have noticed his left ear is not growing at the same rate as his right ear. I don't know what to do or if anything can be done for him. Please Help.
earthangel637

Postby helen-l-a » Jun 11, 2005 4:23 am

Emily 7

Emily was very drowsy a few hours after she was born and did not feed. She was my only HG pregnancy prior to this one. She seemed to be almost unconcious, was floppy and extremely pale. I completely lost it with the midwife who patronised me and told me she was fine??? I think not! She had no urine or poo output.. she was discovered to have virtually an undetectable blood sugar level, basically a life threatening stage of hypoglycaemia. She was given a regime to follow by the Dr who visited the following morning, however although I followed this to a T the midwives did not.... this resulted in my daughter being transferred as an emergency to Special Care. The staff there were furious that she had not been transferred immediately when she was initially found to be hypoglycaemic. For the first few days I doubted very much whether I was going to bring her home, alive, at least and my gut feeling was that she was dying. At the end of the week they decided to discharge us. Unfortunately Emily had not put on a single ounce despite being tube fed and with additional breast feeds and we were not discharged. By that same afternoon she was limp, floppy and grey looking again. After demanding a recheck of her blood sugar level it was again barely registering. This resulted in all hell breaking lose and various blood tests were taken and a very distressing lumbar puncture performed, which I could hear her screams through fire doors!

A week later we were both discharged with regular visits from the Community Special Care Baby Nurse. A few weeks later I recieved a call from the hospital to say that one of the tests had come back as showing a different reading to that expected. I was asked to take Emily back for about 6 hours and to be starved, observed and re-checked, unfortunately no answers could be provided.

Today Emily is not registered as having any medical problems as such, but she does receive extra help in school for Reading, Writing and Maths. She does find it difficult to concentrate and feel that although she will get there eventually, she will never find it easy. As for her personality, she is bright, cheerful and happy go-lucky and far too trusting for her own good of strangers and the like.

I think I am lucky that I have her here and although I am not sure if it was HG related, they have suggested I may have had an undiagnosed Gestational Diabetes... I guess I will never know.
Mum to.....
Luke 1990 not a HG pregnancy.
Jonathan 1994 not a HG pregnancy
Emily 1998 HG pregnancy!
Thomas Bailey 2005 HG pregnancy

helen-l-a
HG Expert

Postby HelenA » Sep 08, 2005 4:01 pm

I got told at 38 weeks I MAY have GD but they wouldn't test me as it was so close to my EDD.

Kimi had reflux..ish! I say that because I think it may have had something to do with the formula she was on, rather than plain ole reflux. Once we changed her (at 5 weeks) to another formula she stopped hurling like the woman in Reposessed, to just a little dribble. Whether this was coincidence I don't know.

Apart from that we are both completely healthy.
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby essexgirl » Sep 10, 2005 12:42 pm

Not reflux exactly but my ds2 was very possety, however that was soon fixed by the cranial osteopath. He also developed eczema at 4 months but homeopathy and my cutting out dairy from my diet and probiotics soon completely cleared that too!
essexgirl

Postby Guest » Sep 10, 2005 3:08 pm

My first daughter was born 9 weeks premature and had reflux. They told me it couldve been due to my malnutrition - which was caused by HG. My second daughter was born at 28.5 weeks and also dealt with a little reflux - which she is over now. My second girl came early due to an abruption but Id been in the hospital for 4 weeks when that happened due to premature contractions (which they suspected was also due to dehydration, and stress - caused by HG)
My oldest is almost 3 and competley healthy now and my youngest is 5 1/2 months and also healthy. They both are tiny and developed motor skills later than most but thats due to their prematurity.

Postby megs4413 » Sep 18, 2005 9:02 pm

Maddie:
severe reflux, probable milk allergy
Mommy:
PTSD, pernicious anemia, thyroid problems, migraines, irregular heartbeat, iron-deficiency anemia
megs4413
HG Diva

Return to Polls & General HG Questions