Reflux

A place to put all your general HG related questions, topics and comments.

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme

Reflux

Postby Natalie » Jun 16, 2004 1:53 pm

Hi All
I have heard somewhere (can't remember where) that babies born to HG mothers are more likely to have reflux. Does anyone know anything about this? Can you point me in the direction of this 'research'?
Thanks
Natalie
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby Lil7Deb » Jun 16, 2004 4:12 pm

Hi, yes that does seem to be the case. Many of the women here have children with Relux. They have not yet determined whether HG is a factor or any of the medications are a factor in Reflux.

I belive there is an article about reflux. Let me talk to a couple moderators and the HER foundation and see what I can find for you.
Deborah

Mom to Mackenzie (2002) and Collin (2005)
Lil7Deb
Been There Done That

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 16, 2004 5:36 pm

Hi, Natalie. Motherisk out of Toronto would be the place to go for the latest information on reflux. www.motherisk.org
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Lil7Deb » Jun 17, 2004 9:52 am

Thank you Pamela! You were who I was gonna talk to.
Deborah

Mom to Mackenzie (2002) and Collin (2005)
Lil7Deb
Been There Done That

Postby adelmaal » Feb 11, 2005 3:33 pm

<U><B>Copied from my other post:</B></U>
NO WAY! I was shocked to see this post! My daughter, who happened to be my worst pregnancy with HG, had awful gastro esophagel reflux after she was born. I was unmedicated throughout that pregnancy because I was afraid the drugs would hurt her and my doctor never even mentioned the fact that I could have HG and need serious medical intervention. I was clueless at that time as it was my first.

It was so much drama getting her fed and to sleep at night. She would start nursing around 10 and want to nurse for 1 to 1 1/2 hours straight. She was fussy the whole time if I stopped her. Then she would fuss for about an hour (it would be around midnight by then) and she would proceed to projectile vomit accross the room (literally). She could clear the end of a king sized bed when I was holding her by the headboard. So it would then be off with the bedspread, off with my clothing, off with her clothing, into the bath, get us dressed, clean up the mess and then proceed to nurse again until she would finally fall asleep (by about 1 or 2 in the morning). It would really be drama when I would take her out anywhere not knowing if she was going to projectile accross a restaurant or at night I would be freaked that she was going to aspirate. I can't even tell you how many times I had to strip down the carseat and wash the lining. Eww... Pulling over to the side of the road, stripping down my daughter, pulling the lining out of the carseat and then getting her back in it with a blanket... WOW! It all comes back clear as day when talking about it and it was 10 years ago.

My daughter still gained weight so the doctor didn't worry so much about it but It was very stressful. He said we could have her admitted and stick a tube down her throat to measure the acids but it probably wasn't necessary just to get a diagnosis we already knew was pretty absolute.

With my son I was treated with Phenergan for the HG and he had no reflux.
Aryn-Leah

Alexandria Caelan, DOB 3/25/95
Cole Vincent, DOB 5/27/98
Raegan Reese, EDD July 24 2005
adelmaal
Been There Done That

Return to Polls & General HG Questions