blighted ovum or molar pregnancy anyone?

A place to put all your general HG related questions, topics and comments.

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme

blighted ovum or molar pregnancy anyone?

Postby mommybull » Mar 23, 2005 4:13 pm

I never suffered from HG with pregnancies #1 and #2. However I did have HG with #3 that turned out to be a blighted ovum or "missed pregnancy" Pregnancy #4 was not a "missed pregnancy" but the HG was just as severe. Has anyone else experienced HG for the first time with a blighted ovum or molar pregnancy and continued to experience it with subsequent pregnancies?
mommybull

Postby PamelaRose » Mar 25, 2005 10:04 am

My first pregnancy was a blighted ovum, miscarried at 12 weeks after a month of HG. My following pregnancies (three healthy babies) all were HG, too. In my case, I'd guess it's just how my body is pregnant, healthy pregnancy or not. Interesting that your HG developed after a couple of "normal" pregnancies. We do see quite a few women here whose stories are similar--it's not unheard of to progress from morning sickness with one pregnancy to full-blown HG in another. It rarely works the other way, though, so once you've had HG, you're likely to suffer again.

My grandmother had easy pregnancies with her first 2 babies, but developed NVP bad enough to merit B6 injections with numbers 3 and 4. I don't know if there needs to be anything that sets sickness off, or if it's just some mysterious trigger in each of us that's either set off immediately or by degrees from pregnancy to pregnancy.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Natalie » Mar 27, 2005 8:48 am

Hi there

This is so bizarre that a post on this cropped up right now - I just had a D & E last week because I had a Blighted Ovum.

My experience is not the same as yours but it might be helpful to dcument it all the same just in case it is helpful to someone else in the future...

I have only been pg twice; with my first I had moderate HG and that resulted in my dd. I just got pg with my second last month but about a week after getting the +ve HPT, I knew something wasn't right. It was already a totally different type pf pg than my first; I had hardly any symptoms and the ones I did have were pretty mild. I know every pgy is different but I just knew with my previous Ob. Hx, I was unlikely to be 'just that lucky' to have a pgy with hardly any symptoms at all. So on instinct, I booked an early scan and was proved right: a blighted ovum. I knew by 6 weeks I had had a missed mc and had the D & E when I would have been 8+2. At that time my only symptom was feeling permanently icky but nothing else at all.

Hope you find some answers

Love Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby pippa » Mar 31, 2005 9:34 pm

Very interesting.

I had severe NVP with my daughter... or possibly very mild HG. Then a blighted ovum (m/c on my own), then NVP, worse NVP, now HG. My mother and my sister NEVER THREW UP ONCE when pregnant... my mom had two, and my sister three. I try not to hate them. :)

~ pippa

^i^ Baby ^i^ 4.95
Beanie 1.10.00
^i^ Sprout ^i^ 6.01
Buster 3.07.02
Bug 8.10.03
Tattoo (One determined baby... got past a tubal ligation!) due 9.23.05
pippa
Welcomed Friend

Postby Lil7Deb » May 01, 2005 5:33 pm

I didn't have a blighted ovum, but I recently had a chemical pregnancy and experienced the same Level of nausea and vomiting that I did with my first pregnancy. I went on to become pregnant again shortly after and a slower onset of symptoms then the first two. Not sure if that has to do with the fact I'd just been pregnant or not. Though I do wonder.
Deborah

Mom to Mackenzie (2002) and Collin (2005)
Lil7Deb
Been There Done That

hi

Postby IslandDreamer » May 01, 2005 9:15 pm

My two cents won't help much.

I had two losses before testing positive for pg, but I KNEW I was pg. I lost both at about 5-6 weeks without HG symptoms. With Jonathan, no HG but got PPD. With Lily, I had lots of joint problems and couldn't hold a pencil that September, hard when you're a teacher. My department was ready to buy assistive technology when I miscarried her naturally. Either of these babies could have been blighted ovums...don't really know.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Lil7Deb » May 04, 2005 5:24 am

Suzanne -

You had some really unique symptoms with each of your pregnancies. How is this one going?
Deborah

Lil7Deb
Been There Done That

hi

Postby IslandDreamer » May 04, 2005 8:54 am

Hi Deborah,

That would be me, weird pg symptoms all over the place :roll: . Makes me laugh when people assume I was TRYING to get pg...have they seen my resume? :shock:

This pg is going better than the other two HG pgs. I'm definitely sicker than with Chris but receiving adequate care, which I did not receive with him. I honestly don't know how we both survived. The pg with Hope was beyond nightmarish with no meds or IV treatments working. Right now I'm adding Zofran to my cocktail, but I really want fluids since that's what really works best for me. WHY add more meds when fluids would do it. Currently arguing my point with my new doc. :wink:

Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Lil7Deb » May 04, 2005 10:29 pm

Suzanne -
I was certainly lucky this pregnancy. What I wanted I got. BIG change from last pregnancy when my prenatal care didn't start until 16 weeks. I was a disaster at that point, but had no reference point because no one would see me. DORKS.

VERY glad that you're pushing your point with the new dr. You should totally do that :P I'm a HUGE fan of making dr's listen to me vs the other way around.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.
Deborah

Lil7Deb
Been There Done That

Return to Polls & General HG Questions