First experience with HG

A place where partners, fathers, friends, and family members can discuss experiences and difficulties regarding loved ones' Hyperemesis.

Moderator: cormander

First experience with HG

Postby jallison86 » Sep 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi all. I'm the husband of a woman going through HG for the first time. We've been pregnant twice before but both times ended in miscarriage. This time we went the IVF route and my wife is pregnant with twins, which is great. However the nausea and vomiting set in and got steadily worse until she had to be hospitalized. Fortunately the hospital staff and our OB recognized this as Hyperemesis and not "just morning sickness." I've read some stories of women who can't get appropriate help and it's maddening!

Now she's home with a PICC line delivering TPN. This is working inasmuch as it gets her nutrition and fluids, but the nausea remains. Just how it is, I guess. We're in our 11th week, so we may have a while to go. I just hope it doesn't last throughout the pregnancy.

It's been great to discover this forum and read about experiences others have had. At first we were feeling very alone -- lots of suggestions to try ginger, peppermint tea, small meals, the brat diet and so on. OF COURSE we tried all that! I know people are just trying to help but you get tired of it after a while.

I'd be happy to share more of our experiences with folks here if anyone is interested. Just reply to this post or PM me.

- Jeff
jallison86

Postby eliana1300 » Sep 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Welcome Jeff! It is so nice of you to be reading here with (or for) your wife! My husband knows of this forum, but I don't think he has been on it by himself. You are so right, there are lots of "remedies" out there that work well enough for morning sickness, but for an HGer can be almost torture! The BRAT diet and ginger were one of those for me, but others have found other "cures" equally horrendous. It sounds like your wife's OB is very proactive, since many don't want to give a PICC, much less TPN. I had a PICC, but my dr said I didn't have enough malnutrition to warrant TPN (I don't know how that's possible, though--I didn't eat anything from 2 months to 6 months).

Anyway, welcome again, and any questions you have feel free to ask. Congrats on your wife's pg, especially with twins!
Eliana
1st pg = HG 8 weeks to c-section delivery due to breech presentation--D&C at 4 months PP for retained placenta
2nd pg = HG from 6 weeks up to 7 months--scheduled c-section
eliana1300
HG Diva

Postby joy_g » Sep 14, 2011 10:30 am

my husband and mom have fielded SO many of those helpful suggestions.

i mean, really, if saltine crackers would've cured this, would i really choose to continue suffering??

hopefully the nausea will tame down before long. with multiples, the hormone load is higher, so all NVP will be worse. that doesn't mean it won't subside at one of the many "magic number" weeks.

just call me Mighty Mom. (mighty what i'm not gonna say.)
DD May 2008
DS New Year's Eve, 2011
DD May 2013 HG 5w-delivery every single time.
joy_g
Opinionated HGer

Postby nekorachan » Sep 14, 2011 10:53 am

welcome! and thank you for supporting your wife. HG is easier to bear with a supporting partner. feel free to ask any question, no matter how stupid you think it is. and please let your wife know she can come here to rant / vent at any time.
~Shelley
Davis Alexander - 11/10/06
Angel Baby - 2/08
Jared Constantine - 12/29/10

"You don't "get" HG, unless you get HG."
nekorachan
Opinionated HGer

Postby teddi » Sep 15, 2011 12:51 am

Congratulations on the babies. Hopefully the fact that your wife is getting proactive care will mean she will suffer as little as possible (not that it's saying much) during this pregnancy. She's almost done with the first trimester. There still is hope that the HG will ease sometime before 20 weeks. Really, all you can do is hope and take it day by day. Welcome to the forums.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby jallison86 » Nov 08, 2011 12:07 am

Following up on our story...my wife began to feel a little better in week 17. Toward the end of the week she could eat and drink a little bit, which was a huge breakthrough. She felt better day by day -- with some minor setbacks -- to the point where she could eat enough to have the PICC line removed late in week 18. We're now in week 19 and she's able to eat regular small meals and even take her prenatal vitamins. She still gets nauseous from time to time, but things are *SO* much better than they were.

Mainly writing this in case anyone going through HG needs some hope. It CAN get better. Everyone is different, of course, but look toward week 20...you may be feeling better by then!

- Jeff
jallison86

Postby joy_g » Nov 08, 2011 9:55 am

so glad to hear your wife and babies are doing better. it is really nice when occasionally someone around here recovers before 40 weeks!
how is her appetite? or has she been hungry the whole time?

joy_g
Opinionated HGer

Postby jallison86 » Nov 08, 2011 9:59 am

joy_g wrote:
how is her appetite? or has she been hungry the whole time?

Her appetite is pretty good. She's eating small amounts frequently -- every couple of hours -- and she gets full quickly. But I could see that changing to a pretty normal eating routine over the next couple of weeks.

- Jeff
jallison86

Postby DivineLotus » Nov 08, 2011 11:20 am

She sounds like my recovery. It will take time but rest assure that the cravings will come. I'm happy for you both. :D
Second HG baby. 8/6/15
Treated with zofran, diclegis, compro, colace, jigsaw magnesium. HG 7 weeks - 17 weeks. Continued meds.

First HG baby. 4/11/11
HG 4-20weeks, little treatment, severe. Zofran, reglan, B6, placenta pervia, lost 12lbs, depression, ptsd.
DivineLotus
Opinionated HGer

Return to Partners, Friends, and Family