New member from Australia

A place where partners, fathers, friends, and family members can discuss experiences and difficulties regarding loved ones' Hyperemesis.

Moderator: cormander

New member from Australia

Postby Sonya1970 » Mar 03, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi to everyone,
My name is Sonya and my daughter Rochelle is 17 and is 11 weeks pregnant for the first time. She is also suffering terribly from HG. I was sent Ashli McCalls awesome book "Beyond Morning Sickness" and have read it cover to cover. We have my daughter on doxylamine and B6, but the nausea is still really bad. She told me last night if she didnt have the nausea, she wouldnt know she was pregnant. Early on she went through the stage of wanting to terminate due to the severity of the HG. When we finally got some real answers about HG, she has decided to soldier on in the hope that the symptoms back off soon. She is going to the doctors today to enquire about other medications to help with the nausea. Any input would be great, as she is sleeping 20 hours a day, as when she sleeps, she doesnt feel sick. But when she wakes up, the nausea hits her bad. So if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them, and so would my daughter.
Sonya
Sonya1970

Postby krdoty » Mar 03, 2008 8:35 pm

Welcome Sonya!

I'm glad that you've found us, and so glad that your daughter has you! Has your daughter been on any other meds or combos? Or just the doxylamine/B6 combo she is on now? I was on Zofran for the vomiting and Phenergan for the nausea. Bendadryl is an OTC that helps with the nausea.

While I relied on meds right up to delivery, it was the environmental changes that made the biggest difference for me. Do smells bother Rochelle? If so, I think it would do a lot of good to help her banish them. Cleaning out the fridge (while she hides in aother room with the door closed!), emptying the trash and cleaning the trash can will help. Cleaning the bathroom so she has a non-smelly room to puke in will help. When I say non-smelly, I mean non-smelly to an HGer. Most of the smells that my husband worked so hard to banish were smells that he couldn't smell himself!

My husband cleared old food out of the refrigerator every week on trash night. He packed a cooler for me before he left for work each day with my safe food and drink, as well as the least smelly snacks to get my toddler by. He cooked out on the grill or brought home fast food. The only cooking that took place in my house for 8 months was the microwaving of my safe foods.

I hope that some of these ideas will be helpful for your daughter. Please let us know if there are specific areas or questions that we can get into more detail to help her through. And be sure to let us know if we can do anything to help you through this!
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby Sonya1970 » Mar 03, 2008 8:45 pm

So far Rochelle is only on doxylamine/B6. I am going to ask the doctor today about other possible treatments. We have been following her lead on what "smells" affect her and dealt with them accordingly. When she gets hungry, she craves KFC..Lucky for us my partner is Asisstant Manager at our local store, so all the food is fresh for her. I would really like to combat the nausea so she can have some sort of social life with the family, as she sleeps 20 hours a day to combat the nausea. What would you suggest as the next step medication wise to help with this?
Sonya
Sonya1970

Postby janbabe » Mar 04, 2008 12:02 am

Hi Sonya

Welcome! Im also from Australia and am currently nearly 16 weeks pregnant. I have had a severe hg pregnancy before but luckily only have severe nausea and occasional (average once a day) vomiting this time round. The first medication they usually prescibe here is maxallon, which does help slightly with the nausea and can ease vomiting. The pills are tiny too which makes them a bit easier to tolerate. If that doesnt help they might prescribe zofran, which is considered by a lot of people here to be a miracle drug for easing vomiting. Unfortunately for us here in Australia its not on the PBS and unless you are suffering from cancer you have to pay for it yourself, its VERY expensive, works out at aroud $12-15 per pill. Maxallon is on the PBS and cost me around $15 for 100 pills

Good luck and I hope your daughters hg eases a bit for her soon :hugs:
~Janene~
Mum to an angel baby, May 2007 @15 weeks
And Tex born 28th August 2008 9lb 6oz
And.... its another boy!
Jethro born 9th June 2011 9lb 7oz
janbabe
Forum Moderator

Postby janbabe » Mar 04, 2008 12:12 am

P.S. I forgot to add, in my last pregnancy my doctor sometimes gave me maxallon injections which are a thousand times more effective than the tablets. And also you can get a product at the chemist called ketostix so you can check at home by a urine test whether your daughter is dehydrated or not, if she is I would head straight to a hospital with her and get her on a drip

:hugs:
~Janene~
Mum to an angel baby, May 2007 @15 weeks
And Tex born 28th August 2008 9lb 6oz
And.... its another boy!
Jethro born 9th June 2011 9lb 7oz
janbabe
Forum Moderator

Postby krdoty » Mar 04, 2008 11:50 am

My ideas for the nausea are Phenergan and Benadryl. But I'm in the States, so I have no idea about availability there or what they would be called there. I would follow Janbabe's suggestion about the maxallon since she is local and knows your medical system.
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Return to Partners, Friends, and Family