Does benadryl make you snarky?

A place where partners, fathers, friends, and family members can discuss experiences and difficulties regarding loved ones' Hyperemesis.

Moderator: cormander

Does benadryl make you snarky?

Postby Jeanne Garvey » Feb 01, 2008 3:00 pm

hi all. the matria nurse said I should stop the iv/benadryl for awhile and get her up--give her a bath, and maybe get her downstairs. She snapped at me awhile ago that I was "feeding her too much." The matria nurse said I should try and make her eat something every couple of hours, so I've been trying to do that--and I bring her stuff, like oatmeal, and she ate it all--and now she's mad that the matria nurse said all she needed to eat was a bite! I didn't tell her she had to eat it all! So--I'm trying to stay upbeat and helpful, but there are times when I just want to go home, and say "good luck"! not really--it still breaks my heart just to look at her. We are cutting back on the reglan to once every 8 hours, and also the same with the benadryl. She seems better able to take pills, although the nights from about 5-9 are really bad. The only fluid she'll take is crushed ice with dr. pepper. She said yesterday that she thought maybe a blueberry muffin sounded good--so I went right out to get one. We have also tried diced pears in little plastic cups, and a lemonade slushy--graham crackers....soup and little oyster cracker saltines. maybe I am overdoing it with the food, but she does seem less nauseus and her mouth isn't so full of saliva all the time. Now she's just tired and grumpy....
Jeanne Garvey

Postby krdoty » Feb 01, 2008 4:03 pm

Grumpy sounds good! Seriously. The way you've described your daughter in other posts makes me think listless, lethargic. It's hard to be grumpy when you are that incredibly sick. Small, frequent meals are typically good. The Matria nurse is absolutely correct that even one bite of food is good. But if your daughter wants to eat more than that, by all means let her! Her body will tell her when it's time to stop. If she tells you that she REALLY wants something, help her get it right away. Forget nutrition. Forget how horrible it sounds. Somehow our bodies are less likely to reject those foods that we crave. And those cravings don't last long!

Why are you cutting back on the Reglan and Benadryl at this point? My personal opinion is that HGers should be given some time to "stabilize" on whatever med cocktail works for them. Then when stable for some time, cutting back could be tried, but should be done slowly and cautiously. And always one med at a time! Because to do otherwise is risking a spiralling of symptoms that would set her back further than she was before the meds.
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby JennyK » Feb 01, 2008 6:49 pm

Reglan made me snarky. Just feeling sick made me snarky too. You and the nurse are doing the right thing, but I'm sure it gets frustrating for your daughter to hear it. She's feeling miserable, and it's not fun to keep trying to eat. It's always "safest" to lash out at those who love us unconditionally, too. I remember points at which I KNOW my mom felt just like you and I felt and acted just like your daughter. (Sorry, Mom!)
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby Susannah » Feb 01, 2008 11:33 pm

I agree with kendra- grumpy is good. At least she's involved and cares enough to be upset.
:hugs: You're doing a great job being there for her. Even if she can't say it now, she appreciates all you are doing.
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Postby MichellevsHG » Feb 02, 2008 10:29 pm

although the nights from about 5-9 are really bad.

That was my bad time - and yeah, was totally snarky!

Hang in there! :hugs:
DD, 9/14/07, (6w -38w) Severe HG (induced due to PreE) - barely treated until 20w; 40+lbs weight loss; multiple ER/hospital visits, PICC, zofran, benedryl, zantac, & baby aspirin; new Ob at 21/22w; mild Polyhydramnios (37w)

Loss, 9/17/13 (11w6d), Aggressively treated severe HG from 5w - 5% weightloss in 6 days, IV protonix/fluids/zofran @ 8w; zofran pump, benedryl, phenergan, zantac, baby aspirin

Loss, 12/7/13 (4w5d)

Angel Sent to Heaven, 10/21/92 (7w4d), Undiagnosed/Untreated Severe HG
MichellevsHG
Forum Moderator

Postby Caitlin's mom » Feb 03, 2008 12:21 am

Bless you for being such a great mom and grandma. Your daughter really does appreciate all that you're doing for her. I know it's really frustrating
for her to be crabby while you are working so hard to help her. I was horrible to my poor mom when she flew out to see me when I was HGing. Just keep in mind that she can't help it right now and you are doing a great job of trying to keep her hydrated and nourished. I very much appreciate all the people that helped me during my pregnancy, although I couldn't express it at the time.

Bridget

Caitlin's mom
Devoted to You

Return to Partners, Friends, and Family