I am new!

A place where partners, fathers, friends, and family members can discuss experiences and difficulties regarding loved ones' Hyperemesis.

Moderator: cormander

I am new!

Postby rlawson » Oct 23, 2007 3:00 pm

Boy! How did I get here!?! I have often wondered about this. My wife is 19 weeks and has been suffering from HG, and we didn't know it until week 12.

We have effectivley fired doctor number 2, and are looking for number 3. I am still dumbfounded at the general ignorance that exists about this disease. You would think there would be symposiums on this or something. Or even a note in the Physicians desk reference. Nope.

The last battle fought with the Dr. was a direct result of the fact that I was giving my wife the zofran through her PICC line. Apparently, this did not set well with her and she wanted the line removed and switch back to oral meds...which were not working.

ARRRGGHH!

Anyway, here I am. And I have been reading the info on this site. Very useful.
rlawson

Postby krdoty » Oct 23, 2007 3:25 pm

Welcome! Congrats on your wife's pregnancy! I am so sorry that you've had to find us, but I am very glad that your wife has such a supportive husband. If you enter a post with your location in the title in Find A Physician, we might be able to suggest an OB in you area. I do not have any PICC experience myself, so I will leave that to the others. But I am glad that you are pushing for further care since oral meds were not sufficient for your wife. I look forward to getting to know you and your family, and hopefully hearing about a whole LOT of progress in your wife's health in the coming months!
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby rlawson » Oct 23, 2007 3:40 pm

Thanks. I can't tell you who to go to in our area, but I sure can tell you who not to go to. My wife is on this site as well. We have both been reading up on this so that we can educate the next Dr. We live in Western KY, and probably will be moving back to Northeastern KY next spring.
rlawson

Postby krdoty » Oct 23, 2007 4:15 pm

Oh, no! Your wife doesn't need a doctor that you can educate about HG. She needs a doctor that already knows and has treated HG, but is still interested in learning more. Some patients are able to educate their docs enough to get through HG, but it is absolutely not ideal. As much as I advocate advocating for yourself, it is MUCH better to have a doctor with more knowledge about your medical condition than you have! Otherwise you are going to end up butting heads at some point when a treatment that is appropriate for HG is considered inappropriate in general. (Anti-nausea meds are just one example.)

Where in Western KY are you now? I am just outside Louisville.
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby krdoty » Oct 23, 2007 10:19 pm

So in talking to some of our users who have PICC experience, I have even more questions. I'm going to pose some of those questions to you in an attempt to figure out exactly what we can do to help you and your wife from this point.

What form of Zofran have you been giving through the PICC? Was that prescribed for the same doc or a different one than the one that told you not to do that?

Would you mind posting what meds (including dosage amounts and frequency) your wife has tried and the reason each/any have been discontinued?

Any treatments that have been rejected from consideration? Any particular reason?

What non-medical treatments have been tried? (ex: changes to routine or environment)

I'll let you answer those before I bombard you with any others. :D
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby Lil7Deb » Oct 23, 2007 11:04 pm

Congrats on you, and your wife's pregnancy. I'm glad you found us here. I know how lonely a time it can be being a spouse. My Husband talks about it frequently.

Looks like Kendra has already gotten off to a great start asking and answering your questions. I hope that we're able to help you out and make your wife's life easier.
Last edited by Lil7Deb on Oct 25, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deborah

Mom to Mackenzie (2002) and Collin (2005)
Lil7Deb
Been There Done That

Postby rlawson » Oct 25, 2007 9:22 am

My wife got to the new Dr. yesterday, he is great. Not a bad doc at all. He was very understanding and got all of the meds back on line again. We had a delivery of the the Phenigran and the Zofran last night.

We live in the Madisonville area. My wife is orginally from Ashland, and we are more than likely relocating there in the spring.

I wish I could tell you all of the dosages, but I can't.

She is on this site as well and has posted in the second trimester forum. She is mubeth. She can probably answer your questions better than I could.
rlawson

Postby krdoty » Oct 25, 2007 9:42 am

Oh, good! The girls in the trimester forums are really good about offering alternate suggestions. Your wife is in good hands. :D

I'm glad to hear that the new doc is going to work out. HG is difficult enough without having to fight for treatment! How are you doing with the stressors of HG?
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby carla » Oct 25, 2007 2:06 pm

HI and welcome. Sorry to hear about the HG, but hopefully the advice from the ladies will help. I am currently on a double lumin picc line. If your wife has only a single lumin line, the DR. might be worried about putting the meds through the same line. Orally meds have not worked for me either. The only thing that has helped is the double line. I have one port for meds and the other for D5 lactated ringers saline solution that runs 24/7. Was the port blocked? Please write us back and let us know how it is going?
Severe HG with DD (Gracee) 30/03/2006
Severe HG with DD (Amara) 01/04/2008
carla
HG Diva

Return to Partners, Friends, and Family