OB thinks its all in my head

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

OB thinks its all in my head

Postby LisaT » Dec 03, 2013 10:20 pm

I've been living off the posts since I was diagnosed Oct 29 and I'm now 17 wks. I have moderate hg (I've tried every at home remedy that I've heard of) and have lost 27lbs in six weeks. Without any trouble my OB gave me zofran without even seeing me, but now, even after she's admitted me twice to the hospital (amidst four ER visits now) getting on a more permanent regime is like pulling teeth. She seems resigned to the fact that I just need antidepressants. I humored her and saw the psychiatrist thinking they'd be able to help me therapeutically work on my HG induced anxiety (fear of getting sick while driving and causing an accident) but instead I got told I was going to be completely agoraphobic and a bad mother when my baby is born.

She told me the only other thing she can offer me is steroids. I work in a medical lab and I would rather have an invasive PICC line than torture my body further with steroids.

I want desperately to advocate for NVP management via home health. Im a hair from losing my job, im doing good if I manage to muster enough strength to take two showers a week. I'm in a perpetual cycle of dehydration/starvation. I have up days when I get the fluids and constipation relief but quickly go down hill within a day or two.

I want to put my foot down but her passiveness intimidates me, which is further proof that I'm not feeling well because I've never been accused of being timid. I considered having my husband talk to her since he's the one picking up ALL of my slack, but he's a kind man and forcefulness isn't his strong suit either. The rest of both our families are over two hours away. I feel weird telling my professional superior how to do their job, but the patient in me wants to scream at her. Has anyone had this issue before?
First time HG sufferer.
Undiagnosed till week 11 and have already lost 27lbs by week 17.
Due May 2014
LisaT

Re: OB thinks its all in my head

Postby DebbieS » Dec 04, 2013 2:22 am

Sorry you are going through OB troubles. I think we all struggle with this, because many Drs don't have a lot of experience of anything beyond mild HG (eg they know a med or two, know IVs are good, have read some very outdated material about it being "mental" then reach the end of their knowledge). If you aren't able to work with your Dr in developing a plan to manage your HG better (and your weight loss shows it isn't being managed well), you need a new Dr. Bit confused why steroids is torture - having taken it two pregnancies (long term) I am aware of its side effects, but managed well it can control the HG, and keep you and your baby healthier than without them.
Deb
3xHG
DS 2003; Loss 2005.
DD 2007.
DebbieS
Devoted to You

Postby LisaT » Dec 04, 2013 8:33 am

My stomach can't handle medications. I got the dissolvable zofran, otherwise I wouldn't be able to take that either. That aside, steroids would still be a last resort for me. They might work without issue for some people, but I'm not comfortable with it even of I could manage to keep them down.

I really believe if I can just get and stay hydrated that I could have some quality of life. I got a second opinion from a different Dr (which I found out when I got to the appt isn't covered under my insurance and ended up having to pay outright) and she felt home health was my best next option. I would love to go to her, but there's no way I can afford it.
First time HG sufferer.
Undiagnosed till week 11 and have already lost 27lbs by week 17.
Due May 2014
LisaT

Postby DebbieS » Dec 05, 2013 3:27 am

Agreed that meds can be hard for the stomach to take! Is there a different Dr your insurance will cover? Then you could get home-health with IV meds. It could save them money as better managed care can lead to less ER/Dr visits/interventions. Steroids were the best option for me as where I live in Australia home-health/PICC lines/zofran pumps were not options, and my other choice was spending the majority of my pregnancy in hospital with a feeding tube. Initially the steroids were via IV but within a few days I had a happy stomach that could tolerate meds, an appetite, a healthy diet, hydration managed and generally feeling 200% better. Hope you can get a better Dr & more managed hydration.
Deb
3xHG
DS 2003; Loss 2005.
DD 2007.
DebbieS
Devoted to You

Postby Sstuart » Feb 10, 2015 8:18 pm

I am currently eight weeks pregnant with my third HG pregnancy. I previously had amazing Dr.'s and OB.'s but because of a move for my husbands work we needed to find a new Dr. We knew I was in trouble with this pregnancy right away as the nausea and vomitting had started strong At four weeks. My husband insisted that we start med.'s right away to avoid the frequent hospitalization from my last pregnancy.

Our new family Dr. Is HORRIBLE!!! We attended our first appointment and I explained I was an HG sufferer. She dismissed us but still prescribed diclectin. Two weeks later I was in hospital with an IV line and the emergency Dr. ( wonderful) prescribed Zofran. While Zofran is helping, I am still very limited in functioning. I can barely bathe myself and spend most days lying in bed, feeling so nauseous, dizzy, faint etc. I had to stop working. I asked my Dr. For assistance filling out short term disability forms and she took her time completing these and charged $80!! The forms were incomplete and in the illness line she wrote- nauseous- self limiting. I am so upset. I do not limit myself the HG does!!! It is hard enough coping but to have no support and know I risk losing my job now, not to mention the financial implications for my entire family, I am beside myself. We are looking for a new Dr. But these are hard to come by. I have asked my OB if he can fill out the paperwork for me and am waiting to hear back.
Is there any recourse for a physician who is so uninformed and uncompassionate???
Sstuart

Postby DivineLotus » Feb 10, 2015 10:21 pm

God I wish there was. Right now I wouldnt know where to begin. I've dealt with those kind of OB, they make you suffer unnecessary. Try to find, or your husband a new OB.

I understand the stomach sensitivity. I'm heavily medicated and even though I'm semi normal. I'm scared my stomach will.betray me any day. I also feel drugged always.
Second HG baby. 8/6/15
Treated with zofran, diclegis, compro, colace, jigsaw magnesium. HG 7 weeks - 17 weeks. Continued meds.

First HG baby. 4/11/11
HG 4-20weeks, little treatment, severe. Zofran, reglan, B6, placenta pervia, lost 12lbs, depression, ptsd.
DivineLotus
Opinionated HGer

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment