Aflac

Get help finding a doctor or discuss questions about/difficulties with your insurance or employer.

Moderators: Atsie, aaronsmommy

Aflac

Postby Summer » Dec 09, 2007 9:50 pm

Hi! Right after I got married (5 yrs ago), I signed up for Aflac insurance. I got it because I knew that I eventually wanted to have a baby. The extra money would allow me to stay home a few weeks longer with the baby. Little did I know that I would have HG. (I never knew HG existed!) All I have to say is Thank God for Aflac! They were incredible! I stopped working my 8th week because I was so sick. In fact, I was out for the rest of my pregnancy. I called Aflac and told them my situation and... the checks started coming, immediately!!!! They were phenominal! All I had to do was send a note from my doctor. They sent me a check each month through out my whole pregnancy. My husband and I were able to pay the mortgage thanks to Aflac! In fact, I was still eligible for money even after the baby was born. I received 2 more checks because I had a C-Section. I just signed up for Aflac again because we are planning to have another baby. In the event that I have HG again, I know that I am covered! Please note that I do not work for Aflac. I am actually a counselor at an elementary school! It may be too late to sign up now because you are already pregnant, but it is something to think about for the next time. HG is hard enough! Knowing that you have some extra money coming in is one less thing you and your husband have to worry about!
Summer

Postby SouthernGal » Dec 11, 2007 9:10 am

Which policy did you purchase? I have been talking with an Aflac representative and they told me they don't do disability insurance for individuals. I had to go through another company they recommended; however, I did purchase their hospital plan because it will pay me for any hospitalization I have including delivery.
Alana
"Is it 9 months yet? Seriously, I'm done!"
My Darlings:
Michael born 1/17/99 Bad Morning Sickness until Month 5.
Makenzey born 3/7/03 Severe HG
Expecting #3 - August 3, 2008 - Moderate HG

SouthernGal
Been There Done That

Postby Susannah » Dec 12, 2007 11:28 pm

They wouldn't cover me for pregnancy after my last HG pregnancy :cry:
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Postby JennyK » Dec 14, 2007 11:52 am

Aflac saved my butt, too.

SouthernGal, policies vary from state to state. Could you get an Aflac short term disability if you formed a group of one through your employer? That's what I did.

Susannah, how old was Elizabeth when you applied? If she was under 12 months, I bet that's why you were denied. For my policy I couldn't have had hyperemesis within the last 12 months, but it explicitly covered hyperemesis.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Aflac?????

Postby rachaeljlinton » Nov 03, 2008 4:15 pm

I am on Aflac now, but I didn't know it would help with HG. I had HG with my first baby (on State insurance) and now want to get pregnant again. How did Aflac help? What did you do to get the help? Do you have to have a certain plan? Is this available in Utah?
rachaeljlinton

Re: Aflac

Postby SCH » Jan 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Hi. I know this is an old thread, but can anyone share their experience with Aflac. I'm still fighting with them over my claim (filed in June!) and could use others' experiences to help me with my claim. I was told hyperemesis was covered and now they are denying my claim because since I enrolled, the policy changed and now hyperemesis is only covered if you are "confined" to a hospital (very vague). I'm grandfathered under the old policy though (it doesnt have that language), but I'm just not getting anywhere with them. It looks like I may have to litigate this issue, which I really did not want to do after these last terrible 9 mos (I'm due in 3 days).

Can anyone share their experience?
SCH

Re: Aflac

Postby birdy3 » Feb 21, 2015 10:45 pm

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I just went back to read my Aflac of NY policy because we are considering having baby number 3 (had HG with both girls) and lo and behold Aflac of NY will NOT cover HG. It has an explicit carve out saying it is not considered a complication of pregnancy and will not be covered. So please be wary if you think you are purchasing a policy to cover HG. I specifically read the terms and conditions prior to purchasing and spoke to 3 different reps who assured me it would be covered, but apparently the actual written contract (which I did not review in as much detail as the application information) is where the carve out is contained. To say I'm disappointed is of course an understatement. Please be warned!!
birdy3

Return to Help with Finding a Doctor, Insurance & Employment