Vegetarian HGers?

Share HG-friendly foods or simple recipe ideas.

Moderators: Cin, caleighbelle47

Vegetarian HGers?

Postby sarah23 » Jan 31, 2007 7:02 pm

Any ideas for a vegetable source of protien? I've had a couple of eggs, and they seemed to perk me up a bit, but they're on my yucky list right now. Soy doesn't agree with me under ordinary circumstances, and I'd hate to see what it does to me with this sluggish Zofran GI system! I do eat some organic meats, but they seem too hard to digest right now...
Sarah
sarah23
Master of HG

Postby theannex » Jan 31, 2007 7:47 pm

Could you stomach [foodment] beans -- hummus, veggie burgers, maybe a plain bean burrito? Maybe a simple veggie soup with some beans? [/foodment] I was off meats and dairy too for the longest time, it really makes protein a challenge!
Patricia
mom to DD (b. 2003, had severe HG with PICC/TPN) and DS (b. 2007, controlled HG with pre-emptive meds and also diet-controlled GD)
theannex
Opinionated HGer

Postby Natasha » Jan 31, 2007 7:57 pm

Have you tried TVP?
Natasha
Been There Done That

Postby NurseNicole » Jan 31, 2007 10:56 pm

What about nuts?? One of the only 2 things I can keep down with ANY success is cashews. Flax seeds, sumflower seeds??
NurseNicole
Opinionated HGer

Postby Cindygirl » Feb 01, 2007 2:06 pm

My sister has been really sick with some GI symptoms for several months now...along with me. Anyway, my mom found this protein powder that is soposed to be tasteless that she's going to try adding to a FOODMENT shake /FOODMENT for her. She also makes FOODMENT frozen yogurt /FOODMENT and she's going to try adding it to that. If you can handle FOODMENT shake or slushy /FOODMENT type things, maybe it can be added to that too. I feel your pain...meat is hard on me right now too!
Mommy to:
Kalli-9 yo dd, moderate HG
Tiarra-5 yo dd, no HG
Michael-2 1/2 yo, mild HG
PG with baby boy, moderate HG

Cindygirl
Opinionated HGer

Postby Hilary » Feb 08, 2007 11:26 am

I tried Slimfast (actually Krogers) diet meal bars. My dr suggested them to me when I stopped holding down all other forms of protein. They are very easy to digest and are high in protien. All though we eat mostly vegitarian (one of dds will not touch soy or beans) we are not stict. I am not sure how vegitarian the meal bars are. The chocolate chip cookie dough (again Krogers brand) was the easiest to get and hold down. Good Luck! I hope that you find something that works for you.
Hilary
Devoted to You

Postby Cheri » Feb 09, 2007 1:28 pm

Boy, that can be a tough one. I've gone through periods where my protein intake has been in trace amounts through misc. things I'd eat. I hate to even type out my ideas because I think they might make you sick, but here goes...

***Foodments***
Beans of any kind...in burritos, taco salad, soup
Cheese, yogurt
Peanut Butter or Almond butter
Even cereals, grains, breads, have protein
How about eggs fixed/disguised in a recipe
***End foodment***

Good luck!
Cheri
Baby Lost at 15 weeks 3/02
Cheri
Opinionated HGer

Postby justbishop » Sep 14, 2008 3:29 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I'm dealing with the same issues right now as far as protien goes, and thought I'd share what's been working for me:

*FOODMENT BELOW*

Frito Chili Pie - Canned chili starter (I forget the brand, but it just has beans with concentrated chili flavor in it...it says to add meat and fresh tomatoes, but I don't eat either in any circumstances anyway) w/ small can of tomato sauce over Fritos corn chips, topped with a bit of cheddar cheese.

Bean soup - Veggie broth (1 box or a few cans), 1 can tomato sauce, 1 can black beans, 1 can chick peas, 1 can green beans, spices to taste (celery salt is esp. important for that classic "soup" taste!). Just drain and rinse the beans, combine all ingredients, simmer for a bit, and enjoy :)

Protein drinks - Controversial, as most seem to not be able to stomach the thought of them, but I've been pretty successful with the chocolate flavor of Boost.
Claudia Charles - March 14, 2009
justbishop
Been There Done That

Postby jexia » Mar 16, 2009 5:00 pm

I've been relying on hummus and falafels. Hubby found some falafel mix, and rather than frying them (shudder) we grill them in the George Foreman grill.
jexia
Been There Done That

Postby GenevaKate » Mar 27, 2009 6:31 am

I also am a vegetarian and don't tolerate milk products very well either...even though i'm not vegan.

here's what i've been trying lately that has worked for me (but everyones different!)

*egg whites (boiled) this might sound gross but if they are organic and the eggs were a week+old when you boil them, i dont think they have that "eggy flavor"

*vegetarian refried bean burrito w/ sliced avocado

*peanut butter (there's 7g of protein in 2tbsp!!) on banana slices, or apples w/ raisins on top

*black bean burritos or tacos w/a little lettuce cilantro, and veggie cheese

*potato bread (good protein + fiber!) with some fake-veggie balogna + a little mustard.

...i also bought this awesome cookbook called "the vegetarian mothers cookbook" that has a few REALLY high calorie foods in it...i haven't tried any yet but i totally am with you and can relate to trying to get protein, for me the biggest thing is gaining weight! I'm 93lbs and i only started pre-preg at 101....i'm now in my 2nd tri and really hope my body starts picking some up. i have to eat really small meals, every 2 hours and i still feel SO FULL all day...but we'll see.
HG: Week 6-41
ER trips-2x
Matria Homecare wks 14-25+
Phenergen,Ondansetron ODT,Ondansetron SubQ Pump till week 25, Unisom/B6 combo until delivery.
Gave birth to my healthy baby girl (DD#1) all natural on 9/24/09! 7lbs 4oz!
GenevaKate
Welcomed Friend

Postby ninabear5 » Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm

One of the only things that even sounds good to me lately is bagels. Natural Ovens blueberry bagels have 11g of protein :) I've been a vegetarian for 6 years and was vegetarian during my pregnancy with DD, and had severe severe nausea. I also ate protein bars to help get my weight up - gensoy, but that was after I was 16 weeks along.
DD: Born 10/09/08
Baby #2 due 11/1/10
ninabear5

Re: Vegetarian HGers?

Postby witch_baby » Apr 30, 2013 4:20 pm

I am a vegetarian that cannot eat a lot of foods because of intolerances and migraines. I really can't eat much currently due to HG and am not as concerned about eating protein as my not eating anything.
Some good options are
nut butters or seed butters (I make sunflower seed butter in food processor) you could make cashew, pistachio, almond
hummus
bean dishes (middle eastern, Indian, Afghan)
lentils
beans
soy/fake meat products
tofu
eggs
quinoa
tempeh
avocado
pumpkin seeds
Whole grain sprouted bread like Ezekiel can be high in protein
oats
yogurts, especially Greek
bean plus rice are almost a complete protein
cheese
Veggies high in protein: asparagus, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli
witch_baby
Welcomed Friend

Postby melissa84 » Sep 03, 2013 1:38 am

Hello, here are some thing's that helped me (also vegetarian). I've blocked out a lot of my pregnancy but tried to recall as much as I could!

Foodments...

Saltines with peanut butter
Almond milk (or any kind of milk really) with sugary cereal
Bean and cheese burritos (the US brand Reiser's is the best)
String cheese
Greek yogurt with fruit
Flour tortilla with American cheese slice inside, rolled up and microwaved
Malt o meal hot cereal mix
Fake meats like chicken nuggets if you can stand them
Baked potato with cheese

I couldn't stomach eggs or beans at all but those are the best for protein. Hope this was of some help. :)
Celina 1-21-2012 moderate HG
melissa84

Postby c600 » Nov 12, 2016 8:34 pm

Before I got on a good medication plan and was still feeling like death I actually couldn't eat eggs or dairy. I became a defacto vegan. I am feeling almost normal now but I still can't stand the thought of eggs. I managed to eat a curry with paneer in it and a pizza, so I can eat cheese again. When I was really suffering I found that white pasta with a tin of tomatoes and nothing else would go down well sometimes.
c600

Postby HG_George » Mar 05, 2017 5:14 am

c600 my wife is in the same place as you. She has a hard time stomaching some foods - especially dairy products. A tips for anyone who has the same problem is to hide the protein source in something that overpowers the taste of it. I did this when cooking for my wife and it kind of works. Not always but most of the times. Hope it helps!
HG_George

Return to Foodments