Long term affects of zofran on child development and Autism

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

Does your HG child have developmental delays?

No
80%
Yes, slightly
4%
Yes
8%
Yes, my child is on the Autism Spectrum
8%

Total votes : 49

Postby Natalie » Sep 25, 2007 2:36 pm

I pm'd you

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Sep 25, 2007 11:14 pm

Mary, have you had his hearing tested? That was one of the first things they did with my son as he too often tunes out and you can call and call him but he doesn't respond. I'm glad you don't have a waiting list to get seen but I'm unsure if they can provide you with an accurate diagnosis at 12 months. They may give you some possiblities as to what it might be and just say keep an eye on this and this and then see us again in 6 months or whenever. Just wanted to tell you that in case you get your hopes up for some answers when there may not be any answers given. I had that happen to me a couple times.

And I was also going to suggest is there any support groups in your area that you could connect with? I was able to connect with other parents of kids with Sensory Integration Disorder through the help of our child psychologist (they actually ran a mini-class on the disorder) and it was so very nice to meet other parents who shared the similar challenges to me and who could offer ideas that worked for them.

Do keep us posted on the outcome of your appt. I would be very interested to learn what you find out.
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby sarahkate » Sep 26, 2007 1:22 pm

I am sorry you have these struggles with your son, Mary. I think we can all very much empathise with your quest for answers.

I think using the site for looking at the number of babies with any given problem is never going to be accurate, though. My daughter has met most of her milestones ahead of her real life peers, whether you look at it either through toddler groups or developmental charts. However, compared to the other babies on here, she lags well behind. One could assume that HG, or Zofran even, produces babies that are developmentally more able. But it is likely that the true picture is that there is some sort of self selection, or a reporting bias. I can only imagine the same is true for autism, or any sort of developmental delay.

Sarah x
sarahkate
HG Diva

Postby becca93 » Sep 28, 2007 2:23 pm

I pm'ed you as well.
DS b12.12.06, mild HG wks 5-32
becca93
Opinionated HGer

Postby Carriebeary77 » Oct 05, 2007 12:52 pm

I have had HG with all 3 pregnancies. Only 1 child is autistic (Asperger's, specifically). That one also was vaccinated till 9 mos. Only this current pregnancy has been medicated w/ Zofran, Phenergan, Reglan, and Pepcid.

Max's autism wasn't triggered by the shots, either. I knew that boy was different before he was even born. I just KNEW him. Max's IQ testing is still in progress but we've been told it's very high. The adults in his life (educators, doctor) are very impressed with it already and we haven't gotten the final number.

Rachel is not autistic. But she is ahead of her peers in school. She was not vaccinated, either, but as I stated regarding Max, I don't believe the shots trigger it for our family. (I have a cousin w/ Asperger's and my husband shows many of the signs as well.)

Given that my son is on the Spectrum without drugs during HG, I don't think it's connected. Not for us, anyway.

I'm expecting this baby any day now and it's been my first medicated HG pregnancy. I hope this baby isn't autistic. I say that because I see the challenges Max is faced with and I don't wish it on anyone.

:hugs: It's hard to accept that our kids are different, but somehow we keep going and they bless us with their differences. :)
~ Carrie HG Survivor x3
Max 4/2000
Rachel 10/2001
Thomas 11/2007
Baby due 12/2012
Miscarriages: 8/2005 and 3/2012
Carriebeary77
Devoted to You

Postby tgger007 » Oct 09, 2007 10:44 pm

I just saw this thread/poll.

My stepson is Autistic, but my Zofran babe is not. He's way off the charts at doing things then his brother has ever done. There are even things he does at a year that my dss 7 yr old struggles at.

I am so sorry you are going through this, if you ever need anything. I'm a PM away.
Crystalyn

tgger007
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies