oral zofran success stories?

A place to discuss all things treatment-related. Medications, IVs, midlines, PICC lines, NG tubes, sub-q pumps, home health care, etc. Also includes alternative and homeopathic remedies including NAET, vitamins, liver detoxing, and more for active HG and TTC preparation.

Moderators: JennyK, mammaclare, nomore

oral zofran success stories?

Postby mimismum » Mar 29, 2007 1:19 pm

please can you post here if you have had success by using oral zofran and let me know how you you did it!!!
thanks
mimismum

Postby TwoIsEnough » Mar 29, 2007 2:47 pm

Are you referring to the pill form (swallowing) or the one that dissolves?

I have been on oral (pill) zofran with both pg and had success...at times. I have tried several other medications and in other forms (other than oral) and did not have success with them. When I am at my worst I cannot keep the zofran down, and have usually ended up in the hospital where I get it via my iv. However, when I am hydrated and can keep some things down, it seems to help. I remember telling my doctor that it wasn't working and I wanted/needed something different. I didn't have any refills left and it was a Friday...they never got back to me about something new and told me to see how I do over the weekend...wow, it was helping a lot more than I thought when I went almost 72 hours without it!!!

At times I notice that it wears off by about 4-4 1/2 hours (only prescribed every 6 hours) but since I am prescribed 16mg a day, but can take up to 32mg if needed...I sometimes cheat and take it earlier than the six hours if I can't handle it anymore. It definately isn't the drug that stopped the vomiting or the nausea for me (as I am on others too), but I have noticed some people have no more vomiting with it or minimal to no nausea.

Hope this helps some. Did you have any other specific questions about it?
Lauren

DD#1: Moderate HG for six months then PTL.
DD#2: Severe HG all the way through delivery along with PTL.

TwoIsEnough
HG Expert

Postby mimismum » Mar 29, 2007 3:46 pm

hi, thanks for the reply, i just really wanted to know if anyone had any success with it, not the dissolving one because here in uk the treatment for hyperemesis is not very good and this is one thing i will try as nothing else worked last time.
thank you
mimismum

Postby Susannah » Mar 29, 2007 6:52 pm

Oral zofran worked very well for me to limit the vomiting. The nausea was somewhat better on the zofran, but I ended up taking meclizine too which helped the nausea.
Susannah
Elizabeth born at home 5/25/06 HG 8 weeks-delivery
Rose became our angel 8/2/07
Grace born at home 5/23/08 HG 7 weeks-delivery

Susannah
Forum Moderator

Postby sarahkate » Mar 30, 2007 2:04 am

Hi again Jacqui,

I think Natalie gave you most of the information but there is now a sticky in the 'HG outside the US' folder and it does mention ondansetron. I would certainly encourage you to do as suggested and find a dr to oversee your pregnancy, as self-medicating, especially with powerful drugs like ondansetron, can be very dangerous. If there's anything not in the sticky we can help with we would be very glad to.

Sarah x
sarahkate
HG Diva

Postby krdoty » Mar 30, 2007 10:22 am

I took 8 mg of Zofran twice daily Phenergan (25 mg?) at night throughout my recent pregnancy. I started on both medications as soon as the severe nausea hit, but before the vomiting started. I was able to manage my pregnancy with just those meds and some pretty severe environmental changes.

By that I mean that there was no cooking in our house for the duration of hte pregnancy. There were a very few things I could stand the smell of in the microwave. Otherwise cold foods and take out were what my husband and son ate. I also did not get into the refrigerator. Instead, my husband packed a cooler for me every day before he left for work with the foods and fluids I would need to get myself and my toddler through the day. I also put myself on modified bed rest because moving made the nausea worse.
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby mimismum » Mar 30, 2007 12:51 pm

hi, sarah, i know i shouldnt really even be thinking about self medicating but i have been so let down with 2 molar pregnancies and 2 hgs pregnancies (2 miscarriages 2 terminations which i said before i just cannot get over). i have tried all the meds i think apart from zofran, i asked my GP last time and he had never even heard of it, so i just feel like giving up on the NHS.
i really want to give it one last try, i will go to my doctor next week with the zofran i bought and will show it to him and tell him i need it to get through another pregnancy!

xxxxx
mimismum

I'm on my 2nd pregnancy with Zofran

Postby lisee22 » Mar 30, 2007 2:13 pm

Zofran was the miracle drug for me my first pregnancy. It took it all away. Because it was so expensive, I would bite pieces off at a time depending on how I was feeling. I took it the whole 9 months because whenever I tried to stop taking it I spent every few minutes throwing up, and then back at the hospital. It was a true miracle.

The bad news is, with my current pregnancy it wasn't the miracle cure I was expecting. I still ended up in the hospital even while taking the full dose. I had to combine it with Reglan. I had to tell my doctor what to try because she really didn't realize I got as sick as I do. I think that it is important to take your health into your own hands and make suggestions to your doctors. If they are good, they'll work with you.

Good luck!
lisee22

Postby faithlove » Apr 11, 2007 10:27 am

I totally agree about taking your health into your own hand with HG! Around here, none of the medical commujnity even recognizes it!

Anyway, I have had great success with the oral (non-dissolving) tablet. My sister in law gave me a bunch when I had no insurance at the beginning. It was either take them or go to the hospital that night which I could't afford to do. It absolutely felt like a miracle. I was nauseus still, but who cares when you can provide nutrition to your baby!! I didn't realize you can get other medicines for nausea until today when I read it on the boards. So I went for about 7 weeks with severe nausea and here I am at 14 weeks and I have lowered my Zofran dosage some and I'm not as nauseus as I was before. I throw up at night sometimes, but no big deal as far as staying healthy. I went off it when I ran out at 12 weeks and was vomiting every half hour with or without anything in my stomach, so I know I still need it. I got a new scrip from a really kind nurse (the Dr. wouldn't give me any whne I was there the week before even though she knew I was almost out). I am hoarding them, trying to take the least dosage so they last long!

I would totally give pregnancy a try with Zofran, I think it helps a lot of women. THere are two women at my church who have had HG and both took Zofran the whole time with all their pregnancies. One has 3 healthy kids and the other has 4 healthy kids.
Loss at 16 wks in Oct 2012. Now pregnant again! :)
Moderate HG with DD '07 and DD '10, both homebirths, angel baby Oct of 2012.
"Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths."
faithlove
Been There Done That

Postby phillybrenda » Apr 16, 2007 10:57 am

I have been taking oral pill form of Zofran, actually the generic - and I have been very happy. Still nauseous some times, but it has been the only thing that stops me from vomiting. I've been cutting down my daily dose now, but I still can't say enough good things about it!
phillybrenda
Devoted to You

Return to Medications, Treatments & Alternative Therapies