Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

Postby IslandDreamer » Mar 01, 2006 9:25 pm

The thoughts (illogical, persistant, scary) are called Intrusive Thoughts, ITs. They totally suck. Tell doc you have ITs.

So glad you got in!
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Gracie » Mar 02, 2006 9:48 am

I hope that this will help you; Just to share an intrusive thought I had after ds was born.... it was completely overwhelming and distressing at the time but I kind of find it funny now.

ds was born 4 wks before Thanksgiving; I decided, despite mild PPD and fatigue to host my immediate family that year. I had the turkey and all the trimmings...

When I pulled out the turkey pan it said "for 10 - 14 lbs" and the immediate thought in my head was "Hey, ds will fit!". It completely threw me off to know that I would even think that, I was still pretty rational and functional but for the next week I was TERRIFIED to be alone with the baby because I kept thinking "What if I just lose it and try".... and for months after (even with therapy), everytime I used the oven I would feel a lump in my throat and a knot in my stomach.

I managed to share what I had thought/visualized with my family about a year later, and over the years we have managed to joke about the thought (not the PPD and the distress I felt).
Gracie
Gracie
Master of HG

Postby IslandDreamer » Mar 02, 2006 3:01 pm

(((Chaz)))

and

((Gracie))

Just to encourage you both. Even normal nonHG, nonPPD mommies get intrusive thoughts. I was actually relieved to hear this from my fluffy friend...phew! :roll:
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Marie » Mar 02, 2006 9:05 pm

(((((CHAZ))))))

Please udate after your doc appointment.

Thinking of you,
Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Previous

Return to Anxiety & Depression During & After HG