Does my dr care or get it?

Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

Does my dr care or get it?

Postby SkunkPaw » Feb 24, 2006 12:00 pm

I broke down during my 6 week apt today... I told her that I KNOW that I am going through PPD again.... explained the crying spells, can't sleep, can't eat (just started), feeling sick, and what nots. She said that she is going to get me into a counsler and THEN IF I needed meds she will give them to me. I KNOW I NEED some meds. I am so freaking high strung right now.

She called me back and hooked me up with the same guy that misdiagnosed me with bi polar when it was PPD before so I was like NO WAY. So they are trying again...

WILL THIS END?
*Chaz*

SkunkPaw
Been There Done That

Postby IslandDreamer » Feb 24, 2006 12:56 pm

I'm sorry the doc isn't getting it. Here are a few things you can consider as you look for a different therapist and a psychiatrist with specialty in PPD, or one who has at least heard of it :roll: . (BTW: I keep getting the same misdiagnosis every time I get PPD...very frustrating.)

1. Get some help around the house or ignore the house.
2. www.dona.org (or com, can't recall at the moment) Is Doulas of North America. Perhaps there is a postpartum doula in your area that can help.
3. Sleep sleep sleep...if you need to take a unisom or two, it's not like we all don't know THAT package :P . But do what you can to get your sleep in order as you look for a doc. You may need something more than Unisom, I did, but it's worth considering as you seek a new doc.
4. Don't stress yourself about cleaning and stuff like that (see #1)
5. Some of the crying is normal, but your baby is old enough at this point that the crying should be clearing up and lessening if you are dealing with baby blues.
6. Prenatal vitamins...I start mine after delivery :lol:
7. B6 and B12 are also helpful for some, and certainly not hurtful.
8. Omega fatty acids. And fish oil is a source, which is a lot to ask of an HGer, but I know folks who swear by it. Make sure to get the kind purified or checked (or whatever it is called) for mercury content. You don't need mercuy in your system.
9. Deep breathing exercises help another PPDer I know...I'll get the details from her and post them.
10. Try to get out of the house into the sun each day, if at all possible. Or, if going out of the house is too much stress, then make sure some friends come over to visit. Maybe someone each day for an hour. I did that the first week, and it helped so much. I also have had some company the last week, and it is helping me as the start of AF is causing some back slides.

Remember: This is NOT your fault. You WILL heal. And we DO love you and will support you.

Love,
Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Feb 28, 2006 4:13 pm

Suzanne said it all, and I needed to hear that too. You poor dear! Great that you have the awareness, so you can then take the next steps. Sorry you're going through such a hassle though :evil:

Big hugs

Sarah
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Return to Anxiety & Depression During & After HG