Flashbacks

Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

Flashbacks

Postby Armymommy » Feb 09, 2006 9:05 pm

It has been a year since I found out I was pregnant and got really sick... it was between the end of december and February when I got really sick... once the cold came, I found that when i walked outside and the air hit me in my face, I felt a flood of anxiety and a complete sense of uneasiness.... the same thing happened when I had Wendy's.... which was about all i could stomach during my hg preg.....

I know what this is... there are other instances... where smells, or cold, take me back to when my head was in the toilet...

I really thought I had moved on... does this go away? They don't happen very often.

Also... did you all find that there was a period of absolute elation that you weren't pregnant anymore... and then a slump because you didn't know how to be normal after spending the last nine months sick.... and then a leveling off...

I have been away from the site for a while and have had these experiences and i think I just want to know if others have had them too and if this is just part of the back side of this horrible horrible thing

Keep me posted...
Armymommy

Postby Erinf » Feb 09, 2006 9:34 pm

Yes, I know how you are feeling! This week is the "anniversary" of when I got sick. (I still say sick, not pregnant). My son is almost 5 months and I thought that I'd be thinking less and less about HG, but it seems to always be in the back of my mind. I spent 9 months as a sick person, and it's like everything I experience is new to me. I forgot what it was like to eat, go to the movies, go shopping etc. I guess I got really good at being sick, that now I'm not sure how to act as a normal person.

My family keeps saying "move on", but everything reminds me of HG. TV shows, certain foods, driving near the hospital, hearing friends talk about their pregnancies, even clothing reminds me of it all. I guess it was such a change in my lifestyle (I had to leave my job, lived on the couch, spent time in the hospital) that I haven't felt normal in a long time. Next week is my birthday. Last year during my birthday I was hospitalized getting a PICC line. I think that it will just take time to not associate everything with HG.

~Erin :D
Erinf
Welcomed Friend

Postby Gail » Feb 09, 2006 9:36 pm

I still after many years have some things that trigger a flashback. Usually a smell. I don't think your any different from the rest of us. I know there was a thread a while back where every discussed triggers for them. They do get less frequent and less intense, at least for me anyway. I'm sure you'll hear from others. Try not to obsess about it though. Enjoy your baby and being HG free!!!!
Mom to two girls
Sydney (6-7-95)
Lauren (10-13-99)
Lost Angel (2-9-04)

Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections than people who are most content---Bob Dylan
Gail
Opinionated HGer

Postby rjdecker » Feb 09, 2006 10:00 pm

Armymommy! Haven't seen you for a long time! When did you have your baby? So glad to see you!

Yes, I am really struggling with the same issues. I hear some music I listened to when pg and it brings it all back. I remember smells quite well. Can't stand the smell of Cheer laundry detergent, and I can smell it on others who use it! This was from way back with my first pg! I have a hard time with crackers. Just cannot stand the thought of them. And pretzels are bad, too.

I get panicky when we go somewhere for dinner and they serve food that I have struggled with with HG. There are several dishes I cannot stand. And even cooking is hard for me b/c by the time it is ready, I am sick of it! I have found myself going all day long without eating a thing for various reasons and not realizing it until my sugar drops and the dh has to make me eat!

Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Return to Anxiety & Depression During & After HG