Venlafaxine alternatives in pregnancy?

Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

Venlafaxine alternatives in pregnancy?

Postby beccyliz » Jan 18, 2006 2:40 pm

I'm pregnant for the 2nd time after terminating my first at 8 weeks due to HG. I'm currently almost 5 weeks along and terrified that I'll get it again.
I suffer from anxiety, panic attacks and clinical depression and have done for 11 years, and for the last 4 I've been taking Venlafaxine 150mg daily which has helped me no end - I can now live a semi-normal life.
During my first pregnancy I couldn't keep them down after I developed HG, and as a result I became suicidal and began self-harming - this is why I terminated.
My GP says it is safe to stay on them throughout my pregnancy, but that they are only available in capsule form.
Has anyone else taken Venlafaxine during pregnancy - if so were there any problems? Can anyone suggest a similar alternative that can be injected or dissolved on the tongue during the worst of the HG?
beccyliz

Postby JennyK » Jan 18, 2006 3:01 pm

Venlafaxine is category C, so it is safe, but I don't know of any options that you won't throw up. All I can think of is taking it at a time when you think it is unlikely to come back up, and stay well hydrated and medicated with anti-emetics. :(
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Return to Anxiety & Depression During & After HG