ppd

Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

ppd

Postby krsweetpea » May 16, 2013 7:07 pm

Needed a safe place to come today. I was diagnosed 3 months ago with postpartum depression. I'm on medication and seeing a counselor and that is helping, but I'm hardly well.

I feel like a shell of my former self after HG, bleeding for 7 months, and now working on healing from ppd. Now that I want to live, I am so angry at everything that I have lost. What has helped you?
krsweetpea
Been There Done That

Re: ppd

Postby leahmsilverman » May 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Time. Honestly. With HG and PPD and all that goes with it, I just needed time to recover. It is long and hard and lonely, but it DOES pass. Take care of yourself.

Big hugs to you.
DS 12/22/08, hg from 10wks to birth
DS 09/15/10, hg from 6wks to birth
DS due in 08/2013, hg from 4wks to birth

Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC)
leahmsilverman
Been There Done That

Postby Nardles81 » May 19, 2013 11:45 pm

Agreed, time and support. You don't have to do it alone. My family is a huge reason I was/am able to manage my mental health during and after HG. Big hugs!!
DD 4/7/07 fluffy
DD 8/13/10 hg weeks 7-delivery at 37 weeks, iv fluids, zofran pump weeks 15-31
DD 6/23/13 hg weeks 4-33 weeks when induced for preeclampsia.
This time I had... iv fluids, reglan, zofran pump, phenergan, unisom/b6, pepcid, protonix, picc line with tpn, methyprednisolone
Nardles81
Welcomed Friend

Postby DivineLotus » Oct 18, 2013 2:07 am

I agree. I'm taking medication as well. Take time. Mybdd is almost 2.5 yes and I'm still in it.
Second HG baby. 8/6/15
Treated with zofran, diclegis, compro, colace, jigsaw magnesium. HG 7 weeks - 17 weeks. Continued meds.

First HG baby. 4/11/11
HG 4-20weeks, little treatment, severe. Zofran, reglan, B6, placenta pervia, lost 12lbs, depression, ptsd.
DivineLotus
Opinionated HGer

Postby IslandDreamer » Oct 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Big hugs to you.

I've not been on the boards for a long time, but this is this is the first place I stopped. I remember all too well. I've battled PPD four times (twice after loss) and had a bout with PPP, so first, I want to say I empathize completely.

Second, what did I do.

In addition to medication and therapy, as you mentioned, I focused on sleep, vitamins/minerals, exercise (ya right...when is a new Mom supposed to do that). Sleep helped a great deal. Be sure to take sufficient B6, B12, magnesium, and zinc (the minerals help with cell function). Recently, I learned of a study that put It's an old study, and I'm bent it didn't get more play in the social networks we frequent with PMADs. Folic acid/folate helps with production of brain chemistry we want. The second link makes me think the bleeding we suffered may have contributed to the depression. Maybe? I would, if possible, have a vitamin panel run and be sure you're supplementing sufficiently.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/folate/NS_patient-folate/DSECTION=evidence

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15671130

I also took epsom salt baths, which helped some. I bled a lot, too, so that could help with relaxing you, too. And I chatted here and at PSI (Postpartum Support International).

Hugs to you.

Love, Suzanne

krsweetpea wrote:Needed a safe place to come today. I was diagnosed 3 months ago with postpartum depression. I'm on medication and seeing a counselor and that is helping, but I'm hardly well.

I feel like a shell of my former self after HG, bleeding for 7 months, and now working on healing from ppd. Now that I want to live, I am so angry at everything that I have lost. What has helped you?
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Schatje » Oct 31, 2013 12:38 am

What has helped? Time, acceptance, meds, therapy (talk, visualization, parts of CBT, DBT, and others), improving my physical health, getting enough sleep, eating right, taking vitamins and supplements to make up for what my body lacks, seeing a naturopath in addition to my GP, Pdoc, and Tdoc, relaxation, avoiding triggers, not pushing past what I know is healthy for me to handle when it comes to stress, asking for help when I need it, and giving myself a break as I can be my own worst judge and jury. It isn't easy, but I'm much stronger for my struggles.
~Heidi 2X HG survivor
Schatje
Forum Moderator

Postby krsweetpea » Dec 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi...I took a loooong break from here. I'm doing better though still struggling with some depression. I am going to a new dr (moved to a new city) and want to bring up nutrition.

I had a wonderful therapist in my previous city. She helped me understand how far a departure HG is from the average experience and come to terms with much of my guilt related to the affect HG had on my son.

I have a way to go, but healing is coming.
krsweetpea
Been There Done That

Return to Anxiety & Depression During & After HG