Can stress hurt my baby badly?

Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

Can stress hurt my baby badly?

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Sep 04, 2005 4:11 am

I'm terribly stressed and sleepless a lot these days. We've moved 3 times in the last 3 months, I've been in the hospital a few times for HG, lost our jobs, have money problems, huge family conflicts have come up, and, argh, much more! So, I've been a ball of stress almost constantly! I'm supposed to start a job tomorrow, to try and reduce the financial stress on us. I'm freaked about that, and it feels extra stressful (although not having a job is even more stressful in some ways).
I'm So worried (ironically more stress from this worry) about how the stress levels/hormones in my body are affecting my poor little baby! Am I a horrible person for subjecting my baby to so much stress? Will I doom the poor kid to a lifetime of anxiety and depression because I'm like this now?

:( Sarah in Norway
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby mandy » Sep 05, 2005 4:08 am

Sarah,

All I can say is that I am a stress ball myself. I drive my dh mad. I was like this thro pregnancy (x2) - we had little money, big stress from my boss, super duper dose of hg, meds, hospital etc. I remember crying so, so hard I really thought I would miscarry. I have never cried like that in my life. BUT................................... I have the two most chilled children EVER! Honestly, my 6year old breezes through life, strolled into nursery and school on her first days, makes a friend of everyone and tells me not to worry now! My 3 year old is similar too. They are healthy, extremely happy and love their little lives.

Hope that helps to ease your mind.......................and your stress! Good luck with the job, I hope your worries resolve one by one for you soon.

Mandy x
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Sep 06, 2005 7:31 am

Thank you!! That helps a whole lot!!! Your kids are adorable!
:) Sarah
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Stress & babies

Postby Kimber » Dec 09, 2005 10:41 pm

If you want to take a research view, it's definitely better to minimize stress as much as possible, especially during the first trimester. Research finds an increase in challenges such as social adaptation and ability to transition from one activity to another in kids exposed to lots of stress hormone in pregnancy. I know most women with HG have lots of stress and we find that most women do not report issues with their children. It likely is a combination of predisposition and stress. My suggestion is to do the best you can - get aggressive treatment and take the best care of yourself as possible.

Kimber
kimber@HelpHER.org
Kimber
kimber@HelpHER.org
kimber@hyperemesis.org
HER Foundation Co-Founder
Director of Ed & Research
2 pg w/nine-months of HG
Mom of two - 1999, 2003
Kimber
Forums Administrator

Return to Anxiety & Depression During & After HG