A little helpful advise??

Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

A little helpful advise??

Postby BrandiJK » Aug 18, 2005 11:46 am

How do I get myself out of this depression? I feel like an unwanted burden no matter where I am, and I am sad, sad, sad, or mad, mad, mad all the time. I cry a HUGE amount of my day, and it just makes me feel even more of a burden and annoyance.

How do I get out of this? This has never happened to this extent before. I feel like I am drowning.
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby dwtegli » Aug 18, 2005 11:50 am

Could you be dehydrated? When I was dehydrated and needed to go in for IV's, I used to feel like that. I really do know how it feels. Please CALL YOUR DOC would be my advice. Also, please keep us posted how you are doing.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby BrandiJK » Aug 18, 2005 4:45 pm

No, not dehydrated at moment. Though midwives have offered a weekly IV if I would like, and I think I am going to take them up on it.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby emily » Aug 18, 2005 9:04 pm

Like the pp, I always found my emotional level tied greatly to my level of hydration.

But, you could be dealing with depression, and you should talk to you HCP. There are several pg approved anti-depressents. But, HG IS depressing! I mean really. How could someone feel happy during hg?
emily
Devoted to You

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 24, 2005 11:13 pm

Jeepers, Brandi, I'm sorry I missed this.

Have you spoken with your doctor? It's understandable that you would be distraught with HG. But is it possible you're dealing with perinatal depression too? I ended up starting meds at 15 weeks.

It's been almost a week since you posted (and I'm SOOO sorry). Are you feeling any better? Any worse? Talked with the doc?

MotheRisk is a great place for med info. You might consider calling them if you are concerned and thinking about meds.
Last edited by IslandDreamer on Aug 25, 2005 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby carla » Aug 25, 2005 8:17 pm

((((Brandi)))))

So sorry to hear that you are not feeling very well. It sounds like maybe your hormones are playing tricks on you right now. YOu may just need a little something to level them out a bit. Tell us more about what is upsetting you, and maybe there is a root cause to it?

thinking of you,

C/
Severe HG with DD (Gracee) 30/03/2006
Severe HG with DD (Amara) 01/04/2008
carla
HG Diva

Postby BrandiJK » Aug 26, 2005 11:19 am

Well...first off...I apparetly was going down hill in the hydration department, but going on pure steam and adrenalin. I did crash, got some fluid, and was told (very firmly) that I am simply taking on too much. Once again, the golden rule of HG was forgotten in my mind. My body has two thing to do, grow a baby and keep hydrated. If I try to do more, I just break down.

I have been very honest with hubby (even more honesty, isn't there ever enough LOL) about how I feel like a burden to him and to my family. Talking helped a lot, and I realized just how much of that came from my own issues, and he realized just how much came from him. He feels left out with this pregnancy. Last pregnancy he was mor einvolved and I was healthier. And, he admits that he doesn't get it. I refered him to this site for understanding, and I hope he looks. I know he doesn't get how sick I am, always trying to get me to go out and make special dinners. It's hard. But I know he is trying.

I also belong to a religious group, we talk in person and online. No big gatherings lately, so only a handful of them knew what was happening with me. I realized that I was hiding because I was embarressed of the HG, VERY afraid I would be judged, and again, felt like a burden. I finially laid it all out for them, gave them links to this site as well as the petition, and was very honest about what's happening with me, doc appts., weight loss (27lbs. so far), med battles, everything. I was afraid it would live as an ignored post (low selfesteem comes along with feeling like a burden) but that was not the case. I recieved a HUGE amount of support, and that helped so very much.

I was also feeling like a burden here, and relly just letting myself get down and down. Then I started just reading, and the more I read the more people responded, the more I started to feel like I have support and even more, I CAN BE support. That is the key that changed my outlook here.

We hired someone to come and clean the house once a week, and my mother has upped her visits to help and support me (as an HG survivor, she really understands). DH is taking over dinners with out argument, and on good days I make him something homemade. Or let him go out to dinner w/ a buddy, give him a break as well.

Emotions are still up and down a bit, but leveling out.

Those bags of fluids helped a lot though. I am starting to feel sick again today, and if dehydration comes again I will not assume I can pull myself out of it. It just gets me down in the mud, ya know?
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby BrandiJK » Aug 26, 2005 11:20 am

By the way, thank you very much for responding :)
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby garrett » Aug 26, 2005 11:51 am

I have told my wife that she needs to stay in bed untill noon everyday. I don't let her do a thing. She is only allowed :D to play on the forum here, eat and drink when I ask her, and I take her for a car ride once a day. She doesn't make any food, I don't even let her take her dishes to the dishwasher. She must remain idle. You are not a burden. As a husband, it is the least we can do. After all, we don't have to go through the devastating illness. You are doing this to better your family. Going through pull hell, and unfortunately we can't share the illness to give you incredible women a break.

Good luck
garrett

Postby BrandiJK » Aug 26, 2005 11:56 am

Garrett, thank you very much. What a blessing you are to your wife!
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby dwtegli » Aug 26, 2005 12:31 pm

Brandi,

I am glad you got the fluids you needed. ONe of the first signs of dehydration seems to be the despair. I know how hard it is not to hide with HG, but it is amazing to realize that people do care and will help when needed. I think back to when I was so sick and how we had help from my mom and his parents and I think, now why didn't I also ask for help from the church. I KNOW they would have been more than willing to pitch in and help. We made it through, but would it have been easier? I will never know.

I remember well feeling like such a burden. It is so hard to be so used to having a life and being able to clean and take care of the kids and then all of a sudden not being able to get out of bed for months on end. Hang in there, and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Garrett, you are awesome. We have such supportive men on here right now, I just think it is amazing. My DH was very supportive, but I have yet to get him to this site. Kudos to all you husbands who are helping out your women, you are the best!!!
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Return to Anxiety & Depression During & After HG