Anger and HG

Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

Anger and HG

Postby UKmommy » Aug 15, 2005 1:28 am

Hi everyone, I know my topic probably sounds scary,lol...but is anyone else still angry at people that crackered them in their pregnancy?? Or angry because you think someone should have helped you and didnt?
I am SO angry at dh..he was a complete *******(insert you own word there) when I was experiencing HG. He got mad when I didnt go to be with him at night(couldnt move off sofa!), got mad when I couldnt kiss him, got mad when he couldnt sit next to me on sofa(movement), screamed at me to make his dinner! told me the house was a tip, why didnt I clean up?(he should have known something was wrong then, as I am a complete cleaning freak!) he was so mean to me, and did not help at all. I would run every morning to the dreaded kitchen to make my morning food, just so I wouldnt puke( didnt want to do this, but had to eat something) and he would yell out....*HEY MAKE ME SOMETHING WILL YA???* :twisted: He just did not get it! It wasnt until I had a bleed scare at 12 weeks that he started helping and shut up. I really resent him for treating me so bad. How do I get over this?Thanks for listening.

1 NON hg pregnancy, Dusty, 16 years old
2 Severe Hg pregnancy, loss
3 Mild HG pregnancy Josh, 6 years old

Preg with twins due Feb 2011. Fluffy pregnancy !!!
UKmommy
Been There Done That

Postby Proudmama » Aug 15, 2005 4:24 am

I am so sorry that you husband treated you so badly. Was it a case of him not believing you about how sick you were or was he scared/worried for you? I know that sometimes when my husband gets scared/worried he will become angry.

I was really blessed though. My husband was really supportive through my pregnancy. The only time he got angry was when I broke down and asked him to take me to the hospital. He has been trying to get me to go for weeks. I finally thought I was going to die so I asked him to take me. It scared him so bad.

I am not sure what to suggest about getting past the hurt. Have you discussed it with your husband? Does he understand how you feel?

Please know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 22, 2005 7:30 pm

First, let me apologize for being so slow in responding to your post. I’ve been thinking about what you wrote and what resources and help I can offer you.

What you speak of, the resentment and anger, are things I carried with me for years after my first HG pg. I relate to these feelings so completely and understand why you are angry and resent dh. Afterall, there you are sick as can be, having about the worst time of your life, and there he is not supporting you as you need. Sadly, it’s not uncommon and we are not alone. I’m just so sorry you’re going through this.

Several options come to mind:
-open and honest conversation
-individual therapy
-couples therapy
-look to your faith community for help

I’ll share a bit of my post-hg emotional journey with you. Many things didn’t work, and the worst possible thing in the world did save us from the resentment.

My dh and I tried therapy together, but he never really bought into the idea himself...I also had severe PPD and it was easy to blame that for everything. AND our therapist seemed unwilling to address dh’s behavior as the source of some of my anger...and I did have the right to be angry. But, as I said, the PPD really got in the way. But I can say there was a time when we WERE past it all; then we learned I was pg with HG again, so that can triggered some old feelings we thought were resolved.

How did we get past what you describe? We got past it in the most horrendous, unrecommended way possible. We stood together last May and stared at our little Hope, born too soon, gone forever from this world. Somehow when that happened, all the past anger, bitterness, guilt, and resentment just left. In it’s place was grief and so much more, but we were finally, once again, together. Everything was so obviously different that even Chris knew the old ugly days were gone.

Like I said, most folks don’t get put in such situations and have it take away problems. In fact, many bereaved couples find their problems compounded. And I don't know how your relationship faired after your loss. But somehow, tiny Hope brought many miracles...the biggest is the miracle of healing in our marriage...such a gift for her big brother, and now we learn, also a gift for her little brother. But as I’ve also said, this latest case of HG has brought back some thoughts and feelings that I hate.

I wish I could say nothing bugs me any more and we’re completely past it all. I guess it still bugs me that he was angry at me for the HG, but I also can now see he had no place else to direct it. Afterall, he could not blame the illness, that would be foolish. So it transfers to me.

I must constantly remind myself that my daughter’s life was given to save our family and I cannot allow HG to steal our peace again...I remind dh too.

There is no one answer to this complex and painful issue you and dh are facing. HG is cruel and is a destroyer of so much. Remember we are here to support you and help you work through feelings. Let me know where you’re located (you can PM me), and I’ll look into therapists and marriage counselors in the area, again, if you would like help with that.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. It’s a miserable place to be. We’re here for you.

Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby BrandiJK » Aug 22, 2005 8:20 pm

I too have been dwelling on this one. I wish I had an answer, but I don't. I still carry anger at my ex-in-laws due to their treatment of me while I was at my worst. And the fact I refer to them as my ex-in-laws should tell you pretty much what happened to the marriage. He never stood up for me during those times, and I never forgave him. Of course, there is so much more to divorce then somethng that simple. But the point is, we never got it together to fix it. So every thing else just kept getting worse.

This time, current husband (his second time going through HG and me) is not doing so great. First time he was amazing, now it seems like an old hat to him. That, and our first child together was not this hard. We had a period of several angery and guilt pointed words he flew at me and I went into an intense spiral of depression which I am still rising out of. Much of my feeling like a burden is due directly to his words and actions.

However, this time I am not making the same mistakes, but was upfront with him around how I was feeling, and I didn't back down, but brought it up for a few minutes at least every night until he was willing to talk to me about it. (It also helped that he got a MASSIVE stomach flu that was pretty much how my HG was daily. He had an example to draw from and I point it out often.) We were struggling and barely making it, I was petrified that this pregnancy would tear us apart. Now, we are still working on it, but our heads are way above water. And, the open communication has helped on so many other levels. He does not let me hide in my depression, but calls me on it and pulls me out through talking. We have at least an hour every night where we talk about our feelings, where we are, my coping skills, his coping skills, what ever is up. But we never let a night pass with out talking about this deep seated stuff.

And before you say, "My dh won't talk to me like that, so that's out.", let me tell you my hubby is about as red-neck as you can get while still living in CA. He's arrogant, gets angery easily, gets offended easily, does not handle emotions well and normally handles them with anger, and quite frankly can hide in a stiff drink when the world has pushed his buttons too far. (He has good qualities too, but that won't help muchhere. Just want you to know he's not a total sh*t) However, seeing me at my emotional worse, my honesty with my emotions and feelings with out reverting to yelling, and the knowledge that my trust and faith in him were slipping and slipping fast helped a great deal. The talking was very hard and uncomfortable at first, and still is sometimes. But it is becoming normal and is helping.

I have only my experiance to offer, and I feel like it is pretty muddled. I hope it is readable for you. It's an emotional topic for me still.
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby Alison » Aug 25, 2005 8:40 pm

Oh, I am so sorry that you had to go through that. I can't imagine having to deal with so much of that while dealing with sever HG. I will keep you in my prayers!

Brandi has a good point though about pointing to their experiences. I have learned over time that men only rationalize as far as their own experiences. If it did not happen to them, it doesn't matter or exist. I use this technique (in a non-threatening way of course) with Bradley sometimes when he just doesn't seem to get whatever my point to him is. Once I compare it to something I know he has experienced, then he understands and a light goes on. :idea:

Keep in mind though, sometimes they (though not all) have a short memory... so you might have to remind him a few times before it really sticks. :lol:

It is a conscious effort to forgive. Pray for help to forgive him and for him to understand what he has done so that it won't happen again - in any situation. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Alison
-5 Little Angel Babies with Jesus-
www.enivamembers.com/vitalhealth
Alison
Been There Done That

Postby UKmommy » Aug 27, 2005 6:00 am

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your wonderful heart felt replies. That means so much to me, to have someone understand, and to help me feel a wee bit better. I have never told my hubby that he made me that angry. Once I did say to him..oh,you didnt help out much, and he was like, what do you mean?? Of course, I did! :shock: So, I dont even go there! I am never having any more children, so that is how I keep my sanity, knowing I dont have to go through the anger again. The anger is worse than the HG. I am sure that contributed to my severe Post Natal Depression. Of course, I forgive my husband, as I love him dearly, but I cannot ever begin to forget the treatment he gave me. Perhaps time will heal my wounds. Thanks for caring.! God Bless.

1 NON hg pregnancy, Dusty, 16 years old
2 Severe Hg pregnancy, loss
3 Mild HG pregnancy Josh, 6 years old

Preg with twins due Feb 2011. Fluffy pregnancy !!!
UKmommy
Been There Done That

Postby BrandiJK » Aug 27, 2005 4:48 pm

One thing I learned in life (greatly strengthed by HG, and even more by divorce) is to respond to hurt feelings by calming, yet truthfully, saying, "That really hurt my feelings. I would just like you to know that." And just leaving it at that one statement.

Lately I have been having friends by pass over emotions (sad, happy, angery) by holding their hands over their bellies...as if to say, we know, your pregnant, that is where this is coming from. It was really getting to me, and I said exactly that (adding in that it was akin to a men dismissing a womans anger by declaring she was premenstral). They got a little defensive at first, but really heard me and honored my statement. I even got some apoligies!

I think it's something I'll stick with LOL
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby Alison » Aug 27, 2005 4:59 pm

Nicely put Brandi! There is not much worse than someone dismissing your true feelings on something and attributing it to temporary insanity due to either being pg or PMSing. That is great that some of them got it and appologized to you.

It is sad that after so many years of existence 'women' dismiss other women with this same logic. My goodness, what does it take??? One day, with enought research and knowlege distributed to the masses - we will get there... Others will at least acknowledge it for what it's worth rather than passing it all off as nothing. Wether it be due to HG or just our feelings in general without anything they can dismiss it with.

I hope that last line wasn't confussing... if so, read it by its self and maybe my point will come across correctly. I know it sounds a bit weird and jumbled - sorry, I don't know how else to word it. :?

Your friend,
Alison
-5 Little Angel Babies with Jesus-
www.enivamembers.com/vitalhealth
Alison
Been There Done That

Return to Anxiety & Depression During & After HG