Those good 'ole docs

Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

Those good 'ole docs

Postby byrnea » Mar 03, 2005 11:54 am

I too heard "the baby'll be just fine" throughout my 23 weeks of hg in 1999, and I thought, "good, but what about me?" Even the thought flooded me with guilt, but I was just plain angry when I found out, upon my third hospitalization for dehydration that I could have taken Zofran all along. It was the one doctor in the practice who actually seemed to have a sense of empathy (and coincidentally the only woman) who finally said she was willing to fight the insurance company if need be in order to get me the medication I needed to quell the vomiting.

In all those weeks, despite my depression and thoughts of termination, no doctor in the upper-end Great Neck, Long Island, NY practice asked how I was, offered a referral to a therapist, or suggested a site such as this where perhaps I could receive some support and not feel so alone. I had and still have a wonderful, supportive husband, but I could have used some words from the experienced. Perhaps this site address could be posted, or distributed via fliers in ob offices.

I am still struggling with the thought with a second pregancy, but it's nice to know I was not alone.
byrnea

hi

Postby IslandDreamer » Mar 11, 2005 9:36 am

((Brynea))

You were not alone. I was sick in 1999 too and felt alone, was made to feel like the only woman on the planet who "couldn't handle being pregnant." It was lonely.

You have good ideas and I can't believe I missed your post. How are you doing this week?

Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby mandy » Mar 11, 2005 12:52 pm

Me too! Sick in '99, alone, told 'we can't make you feel better' by drs. I wish I had known about a site like this then. I still feel bitter and angry at the lack of treatment and wonder if those feelings ever go?

Mandy x
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

so....

Postby IslandDreamer » Mar 21, 2005 11:21 am

How's the class of 1999 doing?
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby mandy » Mar 21, 2005 12:11 pm

Oh, I wish I'd known all you guys out there in '99. I can't believe those once little babies are now heading for (or are) 6. Suzanne, I even think (may be wrong) that Christopher is an August baby like my dd Ellie? - August 16th. We could have spurred each other on lots.

Now, having a big 6 year old and a fast growing nearly 3 year old, I am coming to terms with the fact that my family will stop there. Dreams of three or four children will have to stay dreams. Will the effects of hg ever leave our lives? But, how lucky I am to have the two I have.

I hope your kids of '99 are growing strong and doing well too.
Mandy x
mother of two
mandy
HG Diva

Postby mandy » Mar 21, 2005 12:12 pm

Ahh, I see Christopher was a July baby - close! :D
mother of two
mandy
HG Diva

hi

Postby IslandDreamer » Mar 21, 2005 12:14 pm

My man-kid (or so he calls himself) arrived 7/27/99....Would have been very nice to have you all with me back then. He and Ellie are close.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Return to Anxiety & Depression During & After HG