Latest update.... need help understanding meds

Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

Latest update.... need help understanding meds

Postby Warrenad » Jan 12, 2005 6:26 pm

They have put her on Effexor (anti-depressant) and Vistaril (anxiety). She has come off of the Zofran and Reglan and hasn't been sick since Monday. So that is a good sign. Now she has started to have tremors and shakes. I am not sure if it is coming off of the Zofran and Reglan or starting of the two new drugs for the depression. She had this same reaction in October when she was admitted due to the constant vomiting. She had shakes and convulsions when she took phenegran.

So I have a few concerns/questions:
- Anyone ever been on Effexor while pregnant? I have found info on the net that concerns me. Some infants experience breathing and other issues when born.
- Anyone heard of issues coming off of Zofran and Reglan? She seems to being having withdrawals.
- Anyone had any experience with Vistaril? I have found on the internet that it has side effects of shaking, tremors and convulsions.

I just don't know which issue is causing the shakes and tremors. Is it the withdrawal from the Zofran and Reglan..... or is it because she is taking the Vistaril and Effexor?

The Doctor hasn't returned my calls and the Nurse only tells me that I will need to talk with the Doctor.
Warren
Warren
Warrenad

meds

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 14, 2005 1:59 am

Hi Warren,

Glad to hear that the puking has stopped for now. That's great news.

I was allergic to Reglan, so there was no weaning...took it once and that was it, so I can't offer my own experience. I don't know Vistiral. And Zofran didn't help me, so again, didn't take it long enough to have problems.

I took Effexor RX this summer, after miscarrying Hope, and I had some pretty odd, rather rare side effects. I became terribly manic and began to bleed more vaginally (sorry tmi), so the meds really can do strange things. I did feel more anxious on the Effexor also.

Regarding Effexor during pregnancy, there is a forum of postpartum mood disorders at www.postpartum.net that has a pregnancy board. There is actually a thread on Effexor. You might want to register and get on the board to read. The ladies there are quite knowledgable. Also, I was given this link to Mass. General Hospital's Center for Women's Mental Health: www.womensmentalhealth.org/ You can check out research on meds, etc.

The shaking could be several things including withdrawal from a med. Wondering if it could be something as simple (and much less scary) as fatigue and stress? I shook uncontrollably for a while after delivering Hope because my body was so out of balance and exhausted.

Hoping someone else stops in with more information for you.

Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby dbarr » Feb 22, 2005 8:45 pm

I definitely had withdrawal coming off the Reglan. I was shaky, anxious, couldn't sleep, felt very jittery etc. That and the baby was moving constantly - I think it impacted him too.

I was told it's dangerous to come off Reglan too quickly - you have to taper off it. A nurse told me that there is also risk of extra pyrmidial (sp?) side effects when you stop Reglan.

Nobody told me all of the above when they prescribed the Reglan!!!

And the reason I stopped taking Reglan is b/c it made me terribly depressed.
dbarr

Postby HGx3 » Feb 22, 2005 11:57 pm

I was on 150mg of effexor when pg, and then placed on vistaril in addition to the effexor at around 28 weeks. My baby is fine and very healthy. I was also on zofran and reglan. I never experienced any withdrawal symptoms when stopping either of them.
Vistaril is an antianxiety pill, but is also used to sedate(sleeping pill) and it is an antihistamine which will also help with some nausea. I hope that helped a little.......it is reassuring to know someone else took the same meds and had good results. I hope she starts doing better soon!!

Hooray that she is trying to wean, but if you find she starts backsliding, then do not hesitate to start back on the antiemetics!!!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Return to Anxiety & Depression During & After HG