Ideas?

Volunteer your professional services, share fundraisers for HG & HER, and publicize HG to get the word out!

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme, annmarie

Postby UKmommy » Aug 13, 2005 9:16 am

All these are great ideas ladies!! I would def. buy the shirts and bracelets too, we could have * Ive survived HG* or *Puke til you drop, HG survivor* lol. Dr. Phil would def. do a show on it, I think. He needs to be contacted. I cant believe how many of my friends have had HG. It is not something you talk about. As a few of my friends are now fluffy bunny mommys right now(all our children are 17 months old) we have all been talking about our pregs. When i brought up HG, 3 mums told me they had it!!! I didnt even know, and I have been friends with these women for 17 months. Its like people are ashamed to admit they had HG!! I am going to write some articles to some local mags around here. Also, anyone in the UK considering contacting Trishia?? We could all go on it and let the British public and health professionals know about this illness more. Just a thought?? Nat and Mandy, what do you think??

1 NON hg pregnancy, Dusty, 16 years old
2 Severe Hg pregnancy, loss
3 Mild HG pregnancy Josh, 6 years old

Preg with twins due Feb 2011. Fluffy pregnancy !!!
UKmommy
Been There Done That

Postby Natalie » Aug 13, 2005 6:25 pm

Hi there

Ugh, if there's yet another thing to add to the list of why I hate HG it's because I get so plain exhausted I don't have any militancy to go all out and educate etc...

Trisha could be an idea - does she cover this kind of thing? Also maybe Good Morning with Fern Britton and Philip Schofield might be worth a shot too, and Richard and Judy. I guess we have to get in touch with their production companies or write to them???? We would need to line up some people who would be prepared to talk about their experiences. I have to confess that I don't think my cases of HG are severe enough to warrant tv exposure and I would rather have other people talk about IVs etc... to really get them point drummed in.

Do you know anything about how to get in touch with tv shows etc...?

Love Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby mandy » Aug 14, 2005 12:56 pm

Hi all,

Ok, UKmommy, you don't know me very well as me go on tv! No, no no! Way too shy! I will be cheering from my sofa if any of you go on tho :D . I just did an interview last weekend for a magazine (pregnancy and junior - I think it's called). If my story is published, I'll try to put a copy of it up here to show you all. It should be in next months edition. Now an interview is about my limit for a mag :oops: . How about trying 'Good Morning's' web site and leaving a message, or phoning one of Trisha's hotlines???? I am sure Denise and Dr Chris would be lovely and sympathetic about all the issues around hg.

Good ideas here. I would wear a wrist band to publicise hg definately, but not a t-shirt. That wouldn't feel right to me.

Mandy
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 15, 2005 11:33 pm

Hi All,

I can get the info to order hyperemesis.org wristbands. A friend just ordered a bunch for "remembering our babies" (the ones I have pinned on the Grief board). The place she used was 1000 bands cost 85 cents a piece...something like that. Where do we get the front money? Then we sell them for a couple bucks letting the extra money go to research? What do you think?

I'd really like to see them list the website as opposed to HG Survivor. Then we could bring them to the ERs with us :lol: and advertise the site too.

Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Proudmama » Aug 16, 2005 12:19 am

I would love to have an HG wristband.
Proudmama
Master of HG

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 16, 2005 12:36 am

I'll play wristband coordinator is others want to divide the cost and the bands for distribution. I'll run it by Kimber to be sure, but I think she'll be fine with it as we've discussed the bands in the past.

What do you all think? Any takers on 100 wristbands? :roll:
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Kadinga » Aug 16, 2005 12:39 am

Suzanne,

That sounds like a great idea. I haven't seen the design of your wristbands, but is there room for something like "My family survived Hyperemisis with the help of www.helpher.org"?

I'm afraid I don't have any clues for where to get the up-front money, but I can say that even though US$2 is more like $Au4 at the moment, I'd still love to have one. What would the freight be like on them?

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby Kadinga » Aug 16, 2005 12:43 am

Hi there Suzanne! We are posting at the same time!!

I'm afraid I couldn't take 100. Things have suddenly got pretty tight around here, and if I suddenly came up with an extra bill for $Au400, DH would flip!

Sorry

Amanda
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby dwtegli » Aug 16, 2005 8:30 am

Suzanne,

I would love to take some also, but I can't afford 100 either. We are still trying to dig ourselves out of our last bout with HG. I can maybe swing about 30??
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby Kariinbliss » Aug 16, 2005 10:36 am

Another unifying theme here... HG has wrecked finances!! I can't do 100 either... but 30 or so I could do. No clues on distribution here, but I'd be willing to donate to have them made, and CERTAINLY wear one.. or two! :-)
5x HG mom to:
Amy... born 1/20/92
Melissa... born 2/13/95
Alex... returned to heaven 6/20/05
Angel... watching from heaven 2/2/06
Peanut... safe in the Father's arms 4/24/06
Kariinbliss
Been There Done That

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 16, 2005 10:47 am

Oh ya, we're totally wrecked. Got a letter from a new collection agency yesterday.

Maybe if we do a 'sign up' and see how many folks would take a group of bands, we could figure the math. If we pay 85 cents for them and then charge $2 to the masses, that leaves us with money to give to research, to support the site, or for future "stuff" purchases.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby bibliojo » Aug 16, 2005 11:10 am

This is just my two cents worth but I probably would prefer to wear a wrist band that says HG survivor on it rather than having this website listed on it. I would feel free to wear the wristband more places then - eg at work. If work ever knew about this site, they would find out that I am ttc!! And I know there are other people on this site, that would not feel as free to express their feelings or details of their lives if they knew that certain family/friends would be reading what they wrote. My personal approach would be that if people ask about the wrist band and I feel comfortable about letting them know about this site, I would them know.

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Kariinbliss » Aug 16, 2005 11:27 am

I think I agree with Joanna. We could give the addy for this site when people ask about the bracelets, if they were interested in more information. If it is just our families who want them to support US, then the site addy isn't necessary, is it? The money raised would be supporting research in any case, right? JMTC Let me know where the list is being kept, and I'll put my name on it. :-)
5x HG mom to:
Amy... born 1/20/92
Melissa... born 2/13/95
Kariinbliss
Been There Done That

Postby dwtegli » Aug 16, 2005 12:43 pm

I agree on not having the address on there.

Where's the list :wink: , I'll sign up.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby Kadinga » Aug 16, 2005 8:58 pm

I didn't think about it from the privacy perspective. :oops: There is a lot of personal stuff here, more than just ttc, that people probably don't want shared with everyone they pass on the street and at work.

Is there a sign-up thread yet?

Amanda
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby C'Smom » Aug 24, 2005 11:25 am

Hello, I love the idea of the wristbands and the "HG Survivor" idea. This is a little off this topic but more applicable to earlier postings: I love the idea of "bombarding" Oprah, "O Magazine", and Dr. Phil with letters because I think persistence can pay off. Also, my own little idea for publicity is that In less than two weeks I am going to have a yard sale and I will donate all proceeds to the HER Foundation. I have asked all of my friends and family to contribute items to the sale to hopefully make it a big success. I am also planning to contact the local media here in the Capital of California to see if they would be interested in giving some attention to the event as well as its purpose: HG.
C'Smom

Postby dwtegli » Aug 25, 2005 3:12 pm

C's Mom,

That is a great idea! Good luck and I hope you raise a lot of money.
Wendy,
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby C'Smom » Aug 25, 2005 3:21 pm

Wendy,

Thanks so much! I hope so too!
Lupe
Carina 5/16/00
Loss 10/03
C'Smom

Postby C'Smom » Sep 03, 2005 9:10 pm

I just wanted to follow up my previous posting with the results of the garage sale. We made $278.00 to donate to the HER Foundation! Amazingly, we had two women shoppers who had personal experience with HG. One was a woman who was seriously ill with a pregnancy 20 years ago needing IV hydration and hospitalization because of the vomitting and was ultimately induced at 7 months to save her life and the life of her child. She said "they never could figure out what I had...I must have had Hyperemesis!" The second was a fifteen year old girl who is 5 months pregnant and has HG right now! She is doing better now because she was lucky to find a doctor who prescribed her Zofran and it is working okay for her. Her mother informed me that the HG has been devastating for her daughter who has been too sick to attend school as well as for her as she has had to miss a great deal of work to care for her daughter. The fifteen year old girl had never heard of helpher.org and was relieved to know that there is support out there. It was just amazing to me that one of the shoppers actually has HG right now! It truly makes me think that HG is much more common than has been believed to be the case by the medical community.
Lupe
Carina 5/16/00
Loss 10/03
C'Smom

Postby Kariinbliss » Sep 04, 2005 11:32 am

Congrats on the garage sale! That is great!! It really is so amazing how many women have had HG, but doctors never put a name on it. Especially years ago. Thank you so much for all your efforts!! :-)
5x HG mom to:
Amy... born 1/20/92
Melissa... born 2/13/95
Kariinbliss
Been There Done That

PreviousNext

Return to HG Awareness & Activism