East Coast HG & UNFPA Fund Raiser

Volunteer your professional services, share fundraisers for HG & HER, and publicize HG to get the word out!

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme, annmarie

East Coast HG & UNFPA Fund Raiser

Postby Ivydragon » Feb 23, 2006 2:56 pm

George has asked me to post this. Andy

Here is the information from my sister-in-law in Jersey City...If RSVP'ing, identify oneself as a HER foundation member since they won't know you.

Dear Friend or Family Member,
As many of you know, just after Thanksgiving last year, our brother George lost his wife, Maria, who was 14 weeks pregnant with twins, to complications of hyperemesis gravidarum. In memory of Maria, and in honor of her birthday on March 21, we would like to invite you to our home on March 25, at 4:00 p.m., for a fundraising teach-in and light supper to support two worthy causes:
HER Foundation (www.hyperemesis.org). Hyperemesis gravidarum is a debilitating and potentially life-threatening pregnancy disease marked by rapid weight loss, malnutrition, and dehydration due to unrelenting nausea and/or vomiting with potential adverse consequences for fetuses and their mothers. Hyperemesis Education & Research Foundation provides education and support for mothers suffering from HG and those who care for them.
The Fistula Project (UNFPA; www.unfpa.org). Obstetric fistula is a childbirth injury that renders women incontinent. In addition to the physical discomfort and the risk of infection, the psychological impact of fistula is profound. Women with fistula are often rejected by society and their husbands. This condition is now largely unknown in the developed world, but is common in developing regions where prenatal care can be deficient or nonexistent. The United Nations Population Fund has launched the Campaign to End Fistula. Through a multi-pronged strategy, the campaign seeks to reduce the incidence of fistula, improve prenatal care in general, and provide surgery and aftercare for sufferers. www.unfpa.org.
Although the connection between these two causes may not be immediately apparent, they share many challenges. Both seek to support mothers, one during pregnancy and the other those suffering from complications of childbirth. Both causes are essentially ignored by the US government and lack institutional support. Both are asking relatively little in the way of financial support on an individual basis. Most important, both suffer from a lack of awareness, and what each of these organizations seeks most is to educate the public.
During the teach-in, George will discuss hyperemesis gravidarum and the work of the HER Foundation, and Peg will discuss The Fistula Project and Giving Circles. It may not be a comfortable afternoon, but we hope that it will be an enlightening and gratifying one. For a little of your time and money, you can help some mothers who have not been as fortunate as many of us have been and learn something more about the world in which we live, in the company of some great women and the men who love them.
Please join us to help us turn a personal loss into a communal gain. For those who cannot join us in person, we hope you will learn about these organizations and consider supporting both or either of these worthy causes in Maria’s memory. You can send contributions to our address ahead of the event, contact us for further information, or contact the organizations directly at the web sites listed above.
Our deepest thanks for your support,
Peg and Joe
Please RSVP by phone at 201-451-3757 or by email at york259@att.net. Your friends are most welcome. Childcare will be provided.

Devoted to You

Postby IslandDreamer » Feb 27, 2006 4:20 pm

((George and Family)))

What a wonderful thing you are doing to honor Maria and to help all of us. Thank you.

I so wish I were living back East and could attend.

Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Atsie » Feb 27, 2006 7:42 pm

George,
That is a wonderful idea. I wish I was closer! I will be thinking of you on that day.

Erin
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby carla » Feb 27, 2006 11:03 pm

My thougths will be with you on that day. I hope things go smoothly! Keep up the great work!
Severe HG with DD (Gracee) 30/03/2006
Severe HG with DD (Amara) 01/04/2008
carla
HG Diva

Postby Marie » Feb 28, 2006 1:44 pm

George,

You are doing wonderful work. I am sure your wife and babies are smiling down on you from heaven.

God Bless you,
Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Return to HG Awareness & Activism