OMG!!!! Did anyone else read this?????

Volunteer your professional services, share fundraisers for HG & HER, and publicize HG to get the word out!

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme, annmarie

OMG!!!! Did anyone else read this?????

Postby Kadinga » Jul 17, 2005 11:26 pm

On MSN today (July 17th) there is an article about anxious pregnant women. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7279844/did/8284167/ I had a look, just out of general curiousity. I'm wondering if anyone else has read this.....

[i] "Yet, when I was several months pregnant and told a woman who I was interviewing for a story that I had no hyperemesis gravidarum, she lowered her voice and said, “Oh, please tell me you were maybe a little queasy a few times.â€ÂÂ
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby aaronsmommy » Jul 18, 2005 12:09 am

Aaack, I'm hoping (especially since I actually KNOW these people!) is that what they mean is that hyperemesis is rare, that it's very different from a little morning sickness, and that it certainly isn't something that you should worry about NOT having! It is hard to try and infer the context, but you know how people are with pg women, always commenting on and judging what we do, or feel, or eat, or don't eat, or take, or don't take, so I can see how it may have been one of THOSE kind of comments she was responding to.

I must say, I have a copy of this book (from the authors) and I haven't ever cracked the cover. After 2 pgs with the worst hg my doctors had ever seen, a baby that died at 19 weeks, horrible bleeding for months in my second, several life threatening complications, a preterm baby on a ventilator, . . . I find it hard to bring myself to read something called "Fearless Pregnancy"

I guess I'll have to get to it one of these days, then maybe I'll be able to report what was really meant.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby Kadinga » Jul 18, 2005 12:18 am

Aimee,

Sometimes I think that, of all the things that can happen to us in life, pregnancy really is one of the most deeply personal. I guess I'm as guilty as anyone of putting my own emotional stamp on something I've read without knowing the people or circumstances. :oops:

As for a "fearless pregnancy".... hmmmm.... does that one come with a ormone extraction kit? :wink: It would be great to never feel worry about our unborn children, wouldn't it.

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby aaronsmommy » Jul 18, 2005 9:51 pm

I think worrying about your kids is a natural parent thing. I know my husband does it too, and he can't balme it on hormones.

Some people do take it overboard, but others have good reason to take it to the extreme. I guess I should read the book someday to see what the takehome message really is.

Go look at the drawing on the cover - definitely a fluffy bunny book!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby JennyK » Jul 18, 2005 11:02 pm

I couldn't stand it so I had to email the author of the article. Aside from the hg comment, wouldn't it be unnatural for parents not to do a certain amount of worrying? Amyway, here's what a wrote to her:

I just came across your article "The pregnancy panic attack," which I found interesting and much-needed. However, I just wanted to share with you another perspective about your friend's comment about hyperemesis gravidarum.

I was delighted to finally get a postive pregnancy test and made an appointment with a certified nurse-midwife. Women have done this for thousands of years and pregnancy and birth are natural, not medical events, right? A couple weeks later hyperemesis hit and I found myself vomiting bile every fifteen minutes around the clock. In two weeks I had lost a significant amount of weight and found myself being fed through a catheter to my heart. The symptoms eventually eased up, but I vomited daily and needed drugs intended for chemotherapy patients until delivery. Without the best treatment and care, I wonder whether my 17-month-old daughter and I would be here today. Having hyperemesis is like having food poisoning that lasts for months. I doubt physical suffering can be any worse than hyperemesis. My induced labor and delivery--which I chose to do without any pain medications--were a walk in the park compared to hyperemesis.

So when your friend said, "please tell me you were a little queasy," I wonder if she was really asking, "how can some people be so violently ill while others feel great?" I admit to being envious of and even sometimes angry at women who feel well during pregnancy, but I, for one, certainly do not think there is anything wrong with escaping without morning sickness. I only wish my fortune was so good.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 18, 2005 11:08 pm

Ha - I read and responded to that little gem. The idea that we need to keep relatively low risk statistics in perspective is true; it seems that the world in general has forgotten that women were having babies for centuries without the benefit of "best odds" books. But the overall tone seemed to be that women are out looking for pregnancy complications, and HG is just one more phobia to add to the list--kind of echoed the whole psychological-origin HG theory to me. And I agree with Aimee--anyone who entitles a book "Fearless Pregnancy" and links "queasiness" and HG in the same breath is perhaps a bit too fluffy bunny for the likes of us. Pretty hard to forget about the miniscule odds of a pregnancy problem when you are living through one such "miniscule odd"!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to HG Awareness & Activism