I'd like to write a book on HG

Volunteer your professional services, share fundraisers for HG & HER, and publicize HG to get the word out!

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme, annmarie

I'd like to write a book on HG

Postby A.M. » Jun 09, 2007 9:37 pm

Hello All,

You may remember me from the father's section of this board. My wife struggled with HG in December 2006 and January 2007. I'm happy to say that she is healthy and we are now six weeks away from welcoming our baby girl into the world. However, that is not the reason I am posting here today.

Most of you may not be aware that I have been eyeing a part-time career in writing for about a year. During that time, I have dreamed up a few different ideas for writing nonfiction books, one of which is my wife's experience with HG. Watching her battle with this terrifying and exhausting condition changed my life in numerous ways, not to mention that her own life was turned upside down in the process. I believe there is a message in her story that must be communicated to the world in order to educate others about HG and the horrors it can inflict on pregnant women and their partners.

I did some internet research and discovered a book called Beyond Morning Sickness by Ashli Foshee McCall. My question is, other than Beyond Morning Sickness, are there any other books about HG as a first-hand documentation? How about any written by fathers? (I've seen some pregnancy books for fathers-to-be but none of them mention what to do when dealing with HG.)

My vision for the book is to combine a narrative of our experience with the stories of other people affected by HG (i.e. all of you).

Let me know what you think!
"Love is fresh, new, not mere gratification, not mere habit. It is unconditional." - J. Krishnamurti
A.M.

Postby RebeccaM » Jun 11, 2007 5:50 pm

I'm glad to hear that your wife is doing well and will be delivering your baby girl soon. :)

I think it's great that you want to write a book about yours and your wife's struggle with HG. It would be a refreshing perspective coming from a husband. To my knowledge there are no HG specific books written by fathers so maybe you can be the first :).

As far as other books about HG, besides Ashli's, there are not many. There is this one (follow the link), but it is not JUST about HG.

http://forums.helpher.org/viewtopic.php?t=16425

It seems like there is another one I know of, but I can't think of it right now. :? Sorry, not much help :lol: .

Good luck with your endeavor!
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby A.M. » Aug 16, 2007 8:51 pm

Well, with the new baby girl here, looks like book writing will be a formidable challenge.

So I'm writing a blog instead. It's called The New Fatherhood. It's a way of documenting my journey to fatherhood and compiling information for new dads. I also plan to mention hyperemesis along the way in order to raise awareness.

Take a look and feel free to leave comments or send emails.

http://thenewfatherhood.blogspot.com/
A.M.

Postby RebeccaM » Aug 17, 2007 6:03 pm

Congratlations on your baby girl! Your blog is great. A mention of Hyperemesis would be awesome. A link to the HER Foundation website from your blog would be even more awesome! I'm not web savvy so I wouldn't know how to do it, but I'm sure you could figure it out. :wink:
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Return to HG Awareness & Activism