ZOFRAN LOVING MOMMA'S

Volunteer your professional services, share fundraisers for HG & HER, and publicize HG to get the word out!

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme, annmarie

ZOFRAN LOVING MOMMA'S

Postby Sugarpants » Mar 11, 2005 6:25 pm

HEllo everyone,

I'm on my third baby and i didn't know i had hg till i found the her foundation.I finally found out why i was so sick and in and out of hospitals.
NOw i just got out of the hospital and my medicaid kicked in but they won't pay for my treatment.Only five scripts can be filled ,that's all they will pay for.
I take 32mg a day,now they tell me they won't cover the rest..
It's scary to think in a life or death situation you would think our government would pay for it's people..I had paid into the system now i need help and no one will come to save me..

I have found that the more i try to get somewhere someone pulls the rug out from under me.
Not to mention i have a three year old toddler to take care of,when i'm in bed puking my guts out.Till i puke blood!

So today i looked up the company where the pills are made and they have a program for people that can't afford the meds,but you have to have your doctor call this number 1-866-728-4368 to get a application.
I don't know i think i'm going to try it..
Anyone else???
ZOFRAN LOVING MOMMMA'S OUT THERE?
I was wondering if there are any samples of Zofran,i take up to 32mg a day and my medicaid won't pay for anymore skripts.
I will end up in the hospital again if i don't get help.
The only thing that works is Zofran!
Help!!
Sugarpants

Postby PamelaRose » Mar 15, 2005 10:30 pm

We had a lady here a couple years back trying this same route to get her Zofran covered in Florida. She was told by Glaxo that the program does not extend to use in pregnancy since Zofran was not developed with that intent. Maybe that's changed now, though.

If you can get insurance to cover hospital-administered Zofran, ask about a sub-q pump. Many women who can't get decent coverage for oral Zofran get it covered in this form. Good luck!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby jewelsglosenger » Aug 01, 2005 3:35 pm

I used this program for my first hg pregnancy back in jan. 2002. I was on medicaid in Idaho and they stopped covering zofran after 10 days of my illness. They made me puke every 5 minutes for 6 hours before I could go into the ER and get zofran through an iv to stop the maddness and get some hyderation back into me. I had gone to the hospital every other day or every 3rd day until I had gone about 12 times in a little over a month.

Anyways, the program was great and was such a lifesaver. they just give you 1 pill a day, but I think they only charged like $5 for 30 days. I did this from my 3rd month-the end of my pregnancy. I would cut the pills in half and try to do with it. I had to send proof that my insurance wouldn't cover it and that I needed zofran (that I tried the other med's and it didn't work) and they gave it to us...I believe they faxed their answer back to us so we were able to get approved in like 3 days or something. I was so glad to have found out about it!
jewelsglosenger

Postby dwtegli » Aug 01, 2005 3:41 pm

Sugarpants,

Where are you located at? With my last pregnancy less than a year ago, medicaid covered everything my insurance did not cover. Including any Zofran prescribed. I don't know what I would have done without it.

Please check into that program, it sounds like a good program, and if it helps, what do you have to lose?

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby tlm5999 » Aug 18, 2006 2:45 pm

To get madicaid to cover my oral zofran my Dr. threatened to have me admitted so I could get the IV. They decided the pills were less cost prohibitive than first analysis had shown :D
Stupid insurance.
Valin 05-15-03 HG
Liam 11-19-04 HG
Anna-Marie 9-3-06 Lost an angel
Jonathan Declan 12/28/06 Lost a twin
Declan James 8-8-07 HG
Joseph 6-4-09 non-HG
tlm5999
Opinionated HGer

Postby NoMoreHG » Aug 22, 2006 7:22 pm

I too had insurance problems. I didn't have medicaid but did have another insurance. I didn't qualify for the Zofran manufacturer assistance, but saw it was available. Definitely try to contact the manufacturer. They want people to have it that need it. Also, have your physician write a letter stating the medical necessity of the drug or hospitalization. It works. That's what got me through it!! My insurance was only going to cover 7 days a month. That's not enough to get you anywhere but hospitalized!

For your toddler... seriously consider having someone come stay with you or him/her stay with someone else. I had no family here so I relied solely on church volunteers, some friends and finally some family. Either people stayed with me or my daughter stayed with them. You are in a time of need and should not be taking care of your child by yourself. My physician actually wrote a note to my husband stating that I was not to be left alone to care for my child. It was hard, but we made it. Reach out for others to help you.

Good luck.
HG Survivor Two Times Over
Emily ~ Born Nov. 2002
Luke ~ Born May 2006
NoMoreHG
Welcomed Friend

Return to HG Awareness & Activism