Woman gives up twins for adoption because of HG!

Volunteer your professional services, share fundraisers for HG & HER, and publicize HG to get the word out!

Moderators: RebeccaM, justme, annmarie

Woman gives up twins for adoption because of HG!

Postby Satori » Jan 06, 2007 1:27 pm

I am so angry right now that her family allowed this to happen! The woman was a single mother by choice who got prego via IVF. She ended up with HG and a PICC line and TPN and someone managed to convince her that she couldn't take care of those babies because of her condition. I've been though 2 full term HG pregnancies and both times adoption went though my mind wondering how was I going to care for my children as a single mother but I knew my HG hell would end when the baby was born and things improved in the 3rd trimester but I don't doubt someone might have gotten me to sign adoption papers if the 3rd trimester was as bad the first 2!

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/LegalCenter/s ... 585&page=1

She was under duress pure and simple and should have been given those babies back immediately. Until someone has been though HG they have no idea of how bad your state of mind can be but it resolves pretty fast after birth if you have someone helping you recover. Instead it sounds like this women's family were only interested in there own interests and not helping mom for a few weeks. I'm a SMC myself and it scares me to think someone could have pulled this on me! I know someone tried getting me to give my first dd up for adoption when I was in a bad way from HG then again at the birth because I was single but thankfully I had enough of my mind left to say NO!!!!!!!!! We need some kind of legislation that won't allow those suffering from HG to sign contracts or legal documents for say, at least 30 days after giving birth!
Multiple time HG suvivor, 1st time getting any treatment for it. Due June 2006 and loving my PICC line :)
Satori

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 06, 2007 1:30 pm

Tragic. Just tragic.

How sad is this world that a tragedy like this is what gets main stream media to say, "hyperemesis." (And can they spell PICC or PIC right?)
Last edited by IslandDreamer on Jan 06, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby teddi » Jan 06, 2007 6:08 pm

Umm... I don't really want to judge anyone since I don't know much and I hate relying on the news for a "version" of the story ...

but....

I've kept open to the idea of adopting and I would never really consider ever an adoption from a mom who USED IVF to get pregnant! I didn't know that part of the story.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby aaronsmommy » Jan 06, 2007 6:19 pm

I've known about this story for a long time, and was very saddened to hear of this outcome.

I don't think the adoptive parents could have thought this was a normal adoption, and it has been contested from the day it happened.

I feel sorry for these babies.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby megs4413 » Jan 06, 2007 6:43 pm

wow what a shocking story! i've heard about this story on the news, but never heard mention of HG...that's so tragic! and makes me understand the birthmother's point of view more....i guess...
Megs
DD 2005 severe HG
DS 2007 moderate HG
megs4413
HG Diva

Postby tatteredtoo » Jan 07, 2007 12:40 am

That was really upsetting to read. I contemplated giving Troy up for adoption through most of my pregnancy. This story made me thankful that I didn't give into the pressure that others put on me to adopt.
THE THOUGHT PROCESS IS TOTALLY IRRATIONAL IN THAT STATE OF MIND. Even after giving birth, the mind doesn't mend immediately nor does the body.
I'm mad that this woman's children were literally taken away from her when she was in such bad shape and not given the chance to recover and prove to herself and others that she could be a good mom... on the other hand, I think that if she's willing to commit very serious crimes such as kidnapping, she's probably still not ready to be taking care of those children. :cry: What a sad situation all around.
Tina
2 Full term HG pregnancies and 1 HG anembryonic pregnancy (7-8 weeks)
tatteredtoo
HG Expert

Postby Mikey&Bree'sMama(src) » Jan 07, 2007 11:33 am

When I first heard about this, I just couldn't believe something like this could happen...I mean, didn't the doctors doing the IVF counsel her that multiple pregnancy was a possibility and that HG was a possiblity from multiple pregnancy??????

There was a time after Michael was born (for about the first two weeks home really) when I said to DH "Is it too late to take him back? I don't think I can do this!" But then he started sleeping regularly and I started gaining weight back and things were ok. I can totally understand someone being talked into adoption while in that state of mind. It's just horrible.
Renee
Mikey&Bree'sMama(src)
Opinionated HGer

Postby krisalis » Feb 15, 2007 3:18 pm

Tina, the kidnapping part is the part I can understand the best. If my kds were taken away, I would do anything to get them back. It's the giving them up part I didn't get. I had no idea HG was involved. I think that changes everything. I'm a lot more sympathetic to her now.

Kris
krisalis
HG Expert

Postby tatteredtoo » Feb 15, 2007 5:52 pm

krisalis wrote:Tina, the kidnapping part is the part I can understand the best. If my kds were taken away, I would do anything to get them back. It's the giving them up part I didn't get. I had no idea HG was involved. I think that changes everything. I'm a lot more sympathetic to her now.

Kris

Kris, I could understand the giving them up part the best because I had that same fear, of whether I would be able to care for my baby after he was born and did contemplate adoption. The link in this OP was the first time I had ever heard about Alison Quets and her two children and it didn't shed much light into her story with HG and the aftermath of what she went through. After finding her website and reading more into it, I have no qualms about what she did at all anymore like I did while reading the very baised opinions of various news reports. I recommend the Alison Quets website before any news story now so that people can get a good feel for what she went through before suggesting they read news articles.
Tina
2 Full term HG pregnancies and 1 HG anembryonic pregnancy (7-8 weeks)
tatteredtoo
HG Expert

Question to Ponder...

Postby Kimber » Feb 24, 2007 6:33 pm

Hi all. I've been very closely involved in this litigation since the beginning, so I know how much this mother loved her children.

Let me pose a question to you about her 'kidnapping' her children. If you were told that after nearly a half million dollars and 18 months of legal litigation and limited visitation -- that you were consequently going to probably lose custody of your children even if the law says those with your children have no right to them --- what would you do?

Don't get me wrong. I am not condoning her actions, but I do understand. Adoption professionals use the 'best interest of the children' idea to secure the adoption after the legal battle is purposefully prolonged. The basis is that the children have resided with the prospective adoptive parents for so long, it is best to leave them there. Thus, even when mothers prove they signed under duress or fraud, they may still lose their children. It's a no win situation for mothers.

I am not against adoption, but my eyes have been opened to the incredible corruption in the adoption industry. If Allison manages to win her case, the adoption industry will lose millions of dollars in business because there will now be a case that states their tactics are fraudulant.

One last thought... Since when is it ok for people to take children from a woman who wants to parent them and has the resources, but is temporarily ill and needs help? Parents who commit crimes can get their children back from foster care, so why not a mother who was ill? She should have been given help, not papers for an adoption. It's very sad.

In addition to her web site allisonquets.com, there are a few news stations with very interesting articles on her story. The best is local6.com. Search on Allison Quets and you will find exclusive video and information not reported elsewhere. The latest story is "Orlando Mom Indicted On Kidnapping Charges."

If anything good could come from this travesty, it would be the increased awareness of HG and adoption coercion. I hope the support of our volunteers and forum members will prevent this from happening to another vulnerable mother.

Kimber
Kimber
kimber@HelpHER.org
kimber@hyperemesis.org
HER Foundation Co-Founder
Director of Ed & Research
2 pg w/nine-months of HG
Mom of two - 1999, 2003
Kimber
Forums Administrator

Postby missuniversal » Mar 02, 2007 12:53 pm

My heart broke reading about Allison's story. Very little is said regarding her HG and so much focus is being put on the fact that she kidnapped, HER OWN CHILDREN.
I mean, being a mother who suffered so much with HG myself, I can't understand how devastated she must be to end up with nothing after all that suffering. I think she was violated and taken advantage of when she was at her weakest point. What a shame.
If I happened to be tricked into signing my children away during a time when I was mentally under extreme duress, you bet your bottom dollar I would do ANYTHING to get my child back! I would kidnap my child a hundred times because I feel it's in no way kidnapping since the law has been so twisted to be in everyone's advantage except the birth mother. Her rights as a parent were more than violated.
If Allison had been in the hospital as sick as she was would someone not have advised her to appoint someone else as her "power of attorney" just as they do in other cases of extreme illness? When you are not of sound mind to make these decisions, as in the case of a debilitating illness, you are allowed to appoint someone to make those choices for you. Why was she not given that right? Surely then the courts would have to admit she must have been sick enough and then they would have to recognize the importance HG played on her bad decision.
I'm so sad for her.
Dana
>HG Survivor<
*Ava Marae* *Born 9/16/2005*
ImageImage
missuniversal

Return to HG Awareness & Activism