birth control options overview?

Discuss the triumph or heartache of not having more children, and the struggle to make that decision.

Moderators: JennyK, nomore, dwtegli

birth control options overview?

Postby joy_g » Nov 06, 2012 3:55 pm

does anyone have a good website or resource that gives an overview of birth control options?

we were using condoms, but here i am again. so...that's out. i'm not quite ready to forever join the spay & neuter club, i think, but i would rather not have any more kids than have another surprise pregnancy.
just call me Mighty Mom. (mighty what i'm not gonna say.)
DD May 2008
DS New Year's Eve, 2011
DD May 2013 HG 5w-delivery every single time.
joy_g
Opinionated HGer

Re: birth control options overview?

Postby jarezuny » Nov 06, 2012 4:48 pm

http://www.sexualityandu.ca/games-and-apps/contraception-comparison-chart-choosing-a-contraceptive-thats-right-for-you

You can just click on the options you'd like to compare and the website gives them all in a little chart. (I used to use the website with students when I taught high school -- it has good basic information.)

I might add my own birth-control experience:
I wanted something semi-permanent and was scared to use hormones. I had never used the pill or anything before (we had always relied on condoms). My OB agreed that avoiding hormones might be best. So I tried the copper IUD for a while (Paragard). While it was hormone-free, my periods were awful and painful and very heavy, even after a year. At that point I decided to risk the hormone-based IUD (Mirena). Although I had expected to have some nausea or HG-like side effects, I had none! I've had the Mirena for 2 years now and I've loved it. My periods are very light to non-existent. I don't feel like I have the same hormone fluctuations like I did before (it's like everything is more stable or something). It has really worked magnificently for me.

That said, each person is different so there might be a better option for you. Hopefully that website is a good place to start!
-Jessica

Mom to Ewan (9/27/02) and Laren (9/03/09)
jarezuny
HG Expert

Postby joy_g » Nov 07, 2012 6:46 pm

that's perfect. thanks!
just call me Mighty Mom. (mighty what i'm not gonna say.)
DD May 2008
DS New Year's Eve, 2011
DD May 2013 HG 5w-delivery every single time.
joy_g
Opinionated HGer

Postby aaronsmommy » Nov 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Looks like a great resource, I like how it lists both perfect use and typical use failure rates. I know I am certainly not perfect! It does seem to be missing Implanon/Nextplanon though, so if you want to review all the options, you would want to look that one up as well.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Return to No more for me!?