Surrogacy, birth control pills, IVF meds, hormones

Share your questions about and experiences with adoption or surrogacy pregnancy alternatives.

Moderators: Atsie, caleighbelle47

Surrogacy, birth control pills, IVF meds, hormones

Postby stanfordash » Feb 27, 2014 3:51 am

Hi,

This is for anyone who has pursued surrogacy after HG, or done ovarian stimulation for any other reason. We are doing a surrogacy procedure in April and I took my first dose of a combination birth control pill for the down-regulation yesterday. I woke up vomiting in the middle of the night and feeling horribly nauseated, clearly because of the hormones in the pills (after all, the way they work is by tricking your body into thinking you're pregnant. Not good for us HG-ers). I'm still nauseated this morning and I expect the vomiting to come back when I take another dose.

I'm sure I can tough this out for a month, which is all I have to do, but I'm concerned that if I react this strongly to a teeny tiny birth control pill, what will happen when I start the heavy duty stimulation injections? I'm just hoping that since they are different hormones (i.e. not progesterone), I won't have the same extreme reaction.

Has anyone with a history of hyperemesis had problems with birth control or the other hormones for egg retrieval? Is this just me?

Thanks,
Stanfordash
stanfordash

Re: Surrogacy, birth control pills, IVF meds, hormones

Postby earthmama » Apr 25, 2014 8:03 pm

Hello there. We are 33 weeks pregnant via surrogacy. I'm actually currently taking the pill to induce lactation (wi other drugs) and it does make me feel very mild HG symptoms but not constantly.

I was totally sensitive to the shots and drugs while we stimulated (they got almost 30 something eggs). I had really bad headaches, tired etc. It was NOTHING compared to HG on even my mold mild day. That was the hard part and it went so quickly. I had no nausea with th injections.

Good luck and cograts on your surrogacy!
earthmama
Opinionated HGer

Re: Surrogacy, birth control pills, IVF meds, hormones

Postby stanfordash » Apr 29, 2014 2:22 pm

Thanks for your reply Earthmama! I'm in awe that you are doing the lactation thing--I would consider it if I didn't have such a horrible reaction to birth control hormones, and if my breastfeeding experience after my first (HG) pregnancy hadn't been so awful. I think I'll just ask my surrogate if she wants to pump for me for a few weeks to supplement formula feedings.

Here's an update on my ovarian stimulation cycle in case anyone comes looking for info:

When I started the birth control pills I had a week of horrible nausea that got a little better every day. I only vomited twice total but lived on orange soda and white toast. It was manageable after about a week, and then I switched to a lower dose pill and the nausea went away almost completely. I had no reaction whatsoever to the stimulation injections except that I got a bit nauseated by about day 10, then significantly nauseated after the HCG shot, and remained nauseated until about two days after the retrieval. Since then I've just been bloated. By far the worst part of the whole process was that first week of birth control pills; the injections were no problem at all, and even the nausea toward the end wasn't really that bad--I just lived on barbecue-flavored potato chips and managed fine. They retrieved 11 eggs and we ended up with 6 good embryos, one of which is in our surrogate right now deciding whether to stay. I hope I never have to do it again, but if I do, I know I'll be okay!
stanfordash

Return to Adoption & Surrogacy