surrogacy in india

Share your questions about and experiences with adoption or surrogacy pregnancy alternatives.

Moderators: Atsie, caleighbelle47

surrogacy in india

Postby anna8660 » Jan 25, 2008 8:32 pm

HUGS
Anna

anna8660
Been There Done That

Postby aaronsmommy » Jan 25, 2008 8:41 pm

I heard about this on NPR, I thought it was very interesting.

The whole idea of being able to control what your surrogate does was very appealing to the control freak in me, but in a way that was also creepy, even to me!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby Atsie » Jan 25, 2008 9:45 pm

Wow. Honestly, I can see that taking off. $10000?? That is cheaper than an international adoption and it is your baby. That would be a HUGE selling point. I totally see the flaws with it. But I think that if a person is desperate for thier own baby, it would be a way to go.

ETA: I reread what I had posted and the last line was not meant to sound so ...... rude. Sorry. So I changed it.
Last edited by Atsie on Mar 15, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby anna8660 » Jan 26, 2008 8:51 am

I actually thought it was pretty wonderful. My own pregnancies cost at least 20000 with time off etc!

I think there was a time I would have considered it.

The women seem to beneifit too, its a win win for women

Amy I do agree its a little weird!
HUGS
Anna

anna8660
Been There Done That

Postby sarah23 » Jan 26, 2008 12:51 pm

I'm simutaneously compelled and repelled by the idea. In my gut it feels like exploitation, though the story does point out that it can be good for the surrogate mother...There's probably a lot of story that isn't told in this article.

But geez...it's tempting!
Sarah
sarah23
Master of HG

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 30, 2008 1:04 pm

That's a long way away for baby...I'd spazz.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby nomore » Jan 30, 2008 11:48 pm

Very interesting article..... Ive never seroisuly considered surrogacy, more so adoption if we ever wanted more kids. But, very intriguing.... ok, and a little stranage at the same time!
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby carybear » Mar 15, 2009 3:37 pm

my best friend actually went over to India for a surrogate. But after being there for 3 weeks and they couldn't confirm that she'd ovulated and they had to give up on the idea.

Luckily for her, I've volunteered to be her surrogate. So now she's coming to the US for her baby. it's a bit farther than India from Australia but I think it's a good situation for all involved.
Luvs to all,
CaryAnn
carybear
Opinionated HGer

Postby MelissaMM » Mar 16, 2009 4:22 pm

I know this is a far-fetched thought, but I wonder if the serragate mom could get hyperemesis symptoms by reacting to the genes of the fetus; since we don't know exactly if the mom is getting sick because of her body or a reaction to the baby? I would feel really bad if the serrogate got as sick as me during the pregnancy.
Mom of Karissa 10, Alex 7, KayleeAnn 4 months
MelissaMM

Postby carybear » Mar 16, 2009 6:57 pm

i'm totally hoping that I won't get HG because I'll be carrying their baby.
Really, God owes me on this one.
Luvs to all,
CaryAnn
carybear
Opinionated HGer

Postby *my3sons* » Mar 17, 2009 3:32 am

Okay, so part of me is like, WHERE DO I SIGN UP??? And, part of me is like, well, let's see how badly women end up getting exploited by this. I love the idea and agree it can be a win/win situation but I have to stop and think about all the human trafficking/human rights violations going on out there in the world. There are just too many ways, at least in my mind, that something like this can run amok and get ugly fast. Maybe that's my own issue of paranoia though. It's sad, I'd totally pay someone to carry my baby for me if I could afford it. I also just love the idea of the surrogate benefitting tremendously by it.
my3sons
3X HG Survivor
loved and lost 2005
*my3sons*
HG Expert

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Mar 17, 2009 6:51 am

Totally wild!! I too feel like signing up asap, but also worry about all the potentially ugly issues and problems that can come up. It's sad to "use" a poor person that way, even if they are ok with it, but on the other hand if I go there and make sure the woman is ok other than being poor, and is mentally and physically able to go through a pregnancy, then maybe it could work. But imagine if the woman somehow died during the pregnancy or delivery, and/or if the baby did? But man, it's tempting! I'm sure DH would say no way! And once I have the chance to think about it more, I think that will be my conclusion too.
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby carybear » Mar 17, 2009 7:28 am

Just so you know, they have contracts in place to protect all sides. Mine is about 19 pages long!

I'm not sure if i were going to have a surrogate for me that I'd go to India. First, language differences. how would I know that the surrogate is folowing what i would want done if it were my pregnancy (in terms of eating habits and what not. I personally wouldn't want someone drinking tea all day since it goes against my personal beliefs) {I'm not trying to start a debate, i'm just stating it how i feel} also how could I be sure that I was following the doctors orders as well as if I'd had a native english speaking doctor. second, um..that's a third world country. the standards just aren't the same, ie clean water, hygene, etc. Then there's the fact that they are just getting on the IVF and surrogacy band wagon. They aren't as good at it yet as we are in the US. Since my friend was there doing it, even she commented on that. there they implant 6-7 embryos and there's still only a 20% chance that ONE will stick and grow to a baby. Here my doctor won't implant more than 2 and I will have a 50-70% chance of one sticking.

so in the end, it may not be any more cost efective to go to india for a surrogate.

But all in all I feel quite protected and i know it won't be easy to give this baby to my friend but I'm going into this situation knowing that this baby isn't mine. I'm hoping that makes it easier.
Luvs to all,
CaryAnn
carybear
Opinionated HGer

Postby MelissaMM » Mar 17, 2009 9:45 am

I think it is amazing Carybear that you would carry your friend's baby! What a gift!
I just wanted to add what little I know about India. My husband went last year to Bangalore, India for two weeks for work. He says that since there are so many different dialects spoken in India, English is the common language shared by everyone. Also, from what I hear, most schools are taught in English (especially college), so I would think that someone as highly educated as a fertility doctor would be proficient in English. I think the only time language would be a barrier in India, was if the mother was from a remote village. But, you do bring up a good point about them still being a third world country.
Mom of Karissa 10, Alex 7, KayleeAnn 4 months
MelissaMM

Return to Adoption & Surrogacy