Surrogacy is ILLEGAL in Michigan?! What now?

Share your questions about and experiences with adoption or surrogacy pregnancy alternatives.

Moderators: Atsie, caleighbelle47

Surrogacy is ILLEGAL in Michigan?! What now?

Postby abbyjinxy » Jan 15, 2008 1:11 pm

DH and I are looking into several different options...1 of which (was/is) surrogacy. I found some links and learned that it is ILLEGAL in Michigan? I cannot believe this! How dare the government tell me what I can and cannot do. I am fuming. Anyone else experience this? Do I have other options/ways to go around this?
~Lisa, MI
Mommy to:
Katherine- Born 11/10/06 (HG)
Charles- Born 10/7/09 (No HG)

Pregnant with #3- due February 5th. C/S will be scheduled the week before.

HG Survivor!
abbyjinxy
Welcomed Friend

Postby IslandDreamer » Jan 15, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi Lisa,

I'm in MI too. I didn't know it was illegal. Is it illegal to pay a surrogate? I would think if a family member volunteers, that it's not a government issue.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby abbyjinxy » Jan 15, 2008 5:48 pm

http://www.hrc.org/issues/parenting/surrogacy/1089.htm

Here is what I have found so far. I have been researching all day. Sigh...I am sure there are *loop holes*- but obviously I need to learn A LOT before we consider going down this road.
Mommy to:
Katherine- Born 11/10/06 (HG)
Charles- Born 10/7/09 (No HG)

Pregnant with #3- due February 5th. C/S will be scheduled the week before.

HG Survivor!
abbyjinxy
Welcomed Friend

Postby aaronsmommy » Jan 15, 2008 9:20 pm

I think most people just go to a different state.

Here in CA the laws are very favorable to surrogacy. We get people doing surrogacy from all over the country, even from outside the US. I have met people who have come from the east coast, and even Australia to find a surrogate here!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby Tabologist » Nov 14, 2008 9:23 am

I'm in Michigan and looking to be a surrogate. I know there are ways to go around it. Travel for procedures etc. Have you found an agency?
Tabologist

Postby peanut » Nov 14, 2008 3:05 pm

NYS has laws against surrogacy too. Here I know that they will get a surrogate from another state (and the surrogate stays in that state) so that the contract is in a state where it is enforceable and legal.

I personally think it totally sucks!
Lora
Image Image

[/url]
peanut
Master of HG

Postby Atsie » Jan 24, 2009 8:52 am

I am shocked that it is still considered illegal. That makes me very sad. Are family members or friends allowed? Is it just surrogacy for pay illegal?
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby carybear » Feb 17, 2009 3:58 pm

I think most states don't like "compensated" surrogacy. That said an intended parent (you) can give a "gift" that is not called a payment. otherwise the states are seeing it as you buying a baby from your surrogate.
a lot of women are happy to be a surrogate for a woman from out of state. It really just depends on how involved you want to be and how far you are willing to travel. If you choose a surrogate in another state, and the baby is born there, bringing the baby back to your home state shuldn't be a problem. the state will see it as an adoption...and in some states that is how you do it. it's crazy and sad the hoops they make us jump through to build our families isn't it?
Luvs to all,
CaryAnn
carybear
Opinionated HGer

Dont worry about it being illegal!

Postby Traderjodie » Apr 26, 2009 8:20 am

Hello,

I've been away from the forum for a long time and I realize that this is an old thread but I wanted to pop in and provide some information and comfort.

It does not matter at all that you live in a surrogate unfriendly state. The only thing that matters is where the surrogate lives. You need to find a surrogate who will give birth in a friendly state. We live in NY which is the worst state for surrogacy, but I know many people who have successfully gone through the process here. Also, in NY, it is legal to transfer to a relative as long as no "compensation" is involved.

If anyone wants more info on surrogacy, please feel free to PM me. I will be happy to help.

-Jodie
Jodie, mommy to:
Leah, '98 (fluffy!)
Hannah, '01 (severe NVP)

My ANGELS:
Sarah, Sept, 05 (HG, loss at 16w)
Lilly, Aug, O6 (HG, loss at 9w)
Sharon, May, 07 (HG, loss at 17 weeks)
Traderjodie
Been There Done That

Return to Adoption & Surrogacy