Regular Vitamins or Prenatal Vitamins?

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Regular Vitamins or Prenatal Vitamins?

Postby bibliojo » Oct 18, 2004 12:29 am

Hi all,

I'm in the stages of preparing for my next pregnancy and was wondering if anyone has any advice on whether I should just take regular vitamins or should I take prenatal vitamins in the hopes of storing up some of the extra vitamins and minerals for when I'm pregnant? With my son, I never was able to take any vitamins at all as they just made me feel worse and even though he turned out fine, I would like to give my next child the best headstart that I can.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby J&Jmom » Oct 18, 2004 4:10 am

The important thing is that you get Folic Acid. Even before I got pregnant, my prenatals made me nauseaus, so I took 2 Flintstone vitamins w/a Folic acid supplement. Two Flintstones gives almost the same nutrients as a prenatal.

I read on another post about Rainbow Lite Prenatal Vitamins designed to battle nausea. If I were you, I'd look into that.

Good luck.
3 HG pregnancies:
* EDD 05/23/05
* Jordan Fay 10/26/98
* Jessica Lucie 04/10/01
J&Jmom

Postby nomore » Oct 18, 2004 9:51 am

Hi,

I will second the Raibow Light prenatals. They are awesome. I have trouble with vitamins sitting ok even when not pregnant and these are AMAZING! They are even pretty reasonable in price too. I have been taking them for about 2 months and also additional folic acid (RX amount of folic acid), as a precaution from my Peri. Too little folic acid in your body can cause anemia, which can cause nausea. Not sure if it will help, but who knows. We are actively TTC right now. Hoping for a positive, but not really feeling pregnant!

Goodluck,

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Return to Preparation for HG