I am getting prepared!

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

I am getting prepared!

Postby emily » Sep 15, 2004 9:23 am

Hi Ladies,

I am just checking in with an update. I have taken a really nice break from this board. It can be so overwhelming for me to read through posts and all of the problems people are having. Frankly, it was scaring me out of having another baby. I KNOW that is not the intent of the board, and believe me, I also gleaned tons of valuable information, but really, I was just finding myself in tears a lot of the time and even though I understood some of the decisions that have been made of this board, I couldn't support them. It is hard to be somewhere where you don't feel like you can say something positive. HG is SUCH AN ORDEAL!

Well, I am once again an insured person, with GOOD medical insurance and DH and decided we were going to start TTC. So, if I get pregnant, I won't be graduating with DH in May, but I will be bringing my baby home soon after and I think that is still an amazing thing. I have met with a wonderful midwife and I feel comfortable in getting good care from her, despite the fact that she is not a perinatologist. She is a no-nonsense kind of midwife (nurse midwife working under a doctor of course), and she seemed very knowledgable about HG and willing to agressively treat. She also used to work with my perinatologist I had in Portland, OR, so... small world. She ordered up a thyroid test to see if perhaps there is a link there between that and the HG and she is trying to get me in good shape to head into this journey. My thyroid did come back a little off and so she is sending me over to the endocrinologist. She said that I might not even get it but my risk is high, so let's be prepared and do everything we can. I thought that was a nice balance of optomism and realisim. She is also going to set me up with home health care when I need it and a zofran perscription as soon as I get a positive test.

So, I am in that stage of excitment punctuated by fear. I have made an emotional peace with all that I will miss out on and lose in the next 9 months or so, but I know that what I will gain will so be worth it. Having done this once, I know what they can and cannot do for me, and I think that will help. WIth my first, I felt like I was holding out for a "cure" and I know now to take my medications on time, get home health care, ask for lots of help and just focus on staying hydrated and doing whatever I need to get through.

Anyhow, I just wanted to thank everyone for helping me to be better prepared and ready to go on this journey. Please send some pregnancy vibes my direction. I would love to be pregnant now! LOL I can't test for another.... 7 days! I am actually trying to prepare myself for a negative test, I will be so disappointed! And DH and I tried so hard :P !

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

Postby MamaLily » Sep 20, 2004 5:38 pm

Emily -

Let us know when you take the test! I'll cross my fingers for a positive result! Good luck!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby emily » Sep 21, 2004 6:01 pm

Thank you Anna.

I am sitting here just consumed by thinking about it! Things keep happening that make me think I might be pregnant (like food smelling really strong and off to me) but then I sit her thinking, oh, is that a little cramp I feel, am I going to start my period in a couple of days. My last period was the 25th, so.... when to test! I want to know! I am really nervous ttc this time of year with the holidays coming up. If it didn't happen this time, I think I will wait because I want to enjoy the holidays. Anyhow, the regular lady I order aimstick pg tests from seems to be having problems with her store so I had to order them elsewhere online which is going to take longer shipping, but I don't want to by an OTC test until after I miss a period anyhow. So, I will just wait. But, I am sooo nervous.

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

Postby mammaclare » Sep 21, 2004 7:56 pm

Your self control is admirable! I started testing 9 dpo when DH and I were trying to get pregnant the first time! I tested positive at 11 dpo, which was cd 25 for me...

You may get a result with FRE...

Anyway, thinking positive for you!
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby emily » Sep 21, 2004 10:51 pm

Oh, I caved, and got the first response and it was negative. I just really think it is going to be a no-go this time around, which now makes me just rethink everything. I am not the type that gets pg easily, and it is very unfortunate because I go through bouts of "ok, I am ready, I can do this" to "omgosh, I just don't want to miss out on my LIFE for 9 months". ACK!

I am also seriously re-thinking not having a perinatologist. I am going to see if my mid-wife can work in conjunction with one. Basically, I want a peri for the pregnancy and a midwife for the delivery. I am going to have her send for my medical records so we can figure something out.
emily
Devoted to You

Postby MamaLily » Sep 25, 2004 11:09 pm

Emily -

I just wanted to mention that you could easily have a peri for the pregnancy and a midwife for delivery. My peri only saw me until I was stable enough for my "regular" OB to take over my care. And my wonderful OB was the one who delivered my baby. With your history of HG, I think it would be a great idea to either see a peri during the worst of HG and then transfer to your midwife when things stabilize a little bit. Just an idea!

Let us know whether or not you get a positive!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby emily » Sep 27, 2004 8:47 pm

Thanks for the advice Anna. It was perfect. That is just what I have been thinking. I really do need a peri. So, I am going to talk to my midwife and tell her as much and see if she works with a peri at all that I could have until I am through the worst of it. I KNOW that every pg is different, including HG pg's, BUT, with my daughter, the WORST of it was up until the 20th week, which, was when I switched to a peri. At that point there really wasn't anything left other than the normal HG stuff. I no longer had my PICC line and I was already on every medication in the book.

And, my obsessive thinking about this had also led me to think I had better wait until December to TTC (sigh, as I am not pregnant). I wouldn't be sick until the first weeks of January and I am just trying to do the best I can for us financially with insurance co-pays and deductibles and what not.

I want another baby soooo much! DH and I are getting so excited and even DD is starting to talk about having a baby brother or sister.

I can do this, I can do this, I can do this....
emily
Devoted to You

Return to Preparation for HG