B6 side effects?

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

B6 side effects?

Postby RebeccaM » Aug 07, 2004 12:11 am

I started taking B6 yesterday (we hopefully will be ttc soon) and since I started taking it I have felt terrible. I've had a major headache, I feel really weak, and worst of all I feel nauseaus. Could this be at all related to the B6?

I bought it on Thursday and took one in the afternoon. By the evening I was not feeling well. I felt better this morning when I worked out, and I took another B6 afterwards, but a few hours later I felt bad again and it hasn't let up yet. I made sure to drink plenty of water today because I thought maybe that was the problem yesterday, but it hasn't seemed to help.

I suppose it could just be coincidence. I am ovulating right now and that sometimes makes me feel kinda crappy. But usually nothing like I feel right now. I guess I could also just be getting sick (blahhh).

Just wondering if there was a possibility that it could be the B6.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby emily » Aug 07, 2004 9:26 am

Rebecca,

I am not sure if that is the B6 or not but I had to stop taking the 100 mg's I was taking every day. It WAS making me very sick. I was starting to have problems being dizzy, severe headaches, and was having numbness and tingling in my hand and feet, and trembling in my arm. I only took the B6 for about 2 weeks and my symptoms were escalating so fast, I decided to drop the B6 and they went away immediately. There is 2 mg's of B6 in my daily vitamin which is the recommended daily amount, and I am taking ONE 100 mg B6 once a week.

I hope you find an answer to your problems soon!

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

Postby MamaLily » Aug 07, 2004 3:59 pm

Rebecca -

I tried taking B6 earlier this year (when not pregnant, obviously), and I couldn't take it. It hurts my stomach! My reaction to it wasn't as bad as yours, but I definitely noticed a difference when I stopped taking it.

It's not on my protocol any more because of how I felt when taking it. With my pregnancy, it didn't help at all, but I also didn't take it for the length of time that is necessary for it to build up in our bodies. It might be worth looking into B6 shots.

Has anyone out there been able to tolerate B6 shots after B6 orally made you sick?

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby RebeccaM » Aug 08, 2004 2:18 pm

Thanks Anna and Emily for your input on that. I'm starting to think it WAS the B6 that I was having a reaction to. I stopped taking it and since then I have felt fine. Maybe I will try the once a week idea.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby RebeccaM » Aug 09, 2004 1:37 am

I did some research online and found a study, done by Parry Bredesen, that said low doses of B6 may cause side effects associated with peripheral (sensory) neuropothy, (some of the symptoms listed were fatigue, memory retention deficit, mood swings, swallowing difficulty, acid reflux/generalised stomach complaints, numbness, tingling, and ataxia [a general lack of co-ordination, position sense and manual dexterity].)

I guess I won't be taking the B6 anymore. :(
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

b6

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 09, 2004 1:41 am

Hi Rebecca,

Bummer on the B6. Is it possible that the particular manufacturer uses something that you are allergic/sensitive to as a filler. For example, everyone argues generic drugs are the same as brand name, but I can't take generic Prozac for ppd. . .the delivery system in the generic doesn't work for me. I took it for a month without realizing and COULD NOT figure out why I was nutting out. I'm assuming vitamins have different "fillers" and sources (some are plant derived, some are synthetic, and some are animal derived). Just a thought.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby emily » Aug 09, 2004 10:20 pm

Hi Rebecca,

Yep, I was having basically all of those problems. And I was not taking a "cheap" B6. My mom has gluten allergies and all sorts of sensitivities to foods and such and was taking the brand of vitamins she uses that doesn't put weird stuff in there.

I had 100 mg capsules and I thought, "oh, I will just take half a capsule with some honey.." okay, that is the WORST tasting stuff ever. It is so bitter. I spit it out immediately and was nearly sick. So, never do that!

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

Postby Brenda » Aug 11, 2004 1:53 pm

Rebecca,

I am TTC to conceive this month too and I must be having a reaction too. I started taking folic acid and B-6 last week and I feel awful. I am so tired and have an upset stomach.

Now What????
Brenda
Opinionated HGer

Postby RebeccaM » Aug 13, 2004 12:13 am

Brenda,

"Now What???"

That's what I was thinking too! I was really counting on the B6 to help. Did you figure out for sure that the B6 is the problem for you? Based on my experience and research, I think it could very likely be the case. I guess I'll be trying something else when the HG hits. Hopefully Unisom still works and I was going to try Meclizine, but I won't have to worry about any of that til I'm actually pregnant and sick. And there's always Zofran.

Oh, I was thinking of maybe trying another brand like Suzanne suggested. It may not work but it's worth a try.

I'm sorry you had the same problem as me, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Return to Preparation for HG