Pregnant at 40 will I get Hypermesis

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Pregnant at 40 will I get Hypermesis

Postby violet73 » Sep 09, 2013 5:17 pm

I had hypermesis gravidarium with my first pregnancy, and it was a very difficult ordeal. So difficult that we put off getting pregnant again for so many years,until finally my doctor said my ovarian reserve was so low (0.034) and I would need help, that I finally gave up on the idea. Low and behold, surprise, at 40 years old, 6 years later, I am pregnant. My body has been through alot since getting pregnant the first time. To say I'm petrified, is putting it mildly. My hypermesis started at 6 weeks exactly and never let up, until my beautiful daughter was born. Here I am again, with very small waves of nausea. Very small. Supposedly my 6 weeks begins tomorrow. At 4 weeks and 5 days I did an ultrasound at the emergency, and all they saw was an empty gestational sac. My hcg was and 500 that night and tripled two days later. I am trying to schedule a second ultrasound as soon as possible. I'm petrified of a blighted ovum, I'm petrified of hypermesis gravidarium, and I'm petrified of raising a baby at 40. I should have known better you might say, but if you only knew what I've been through the past few months, you'd say this is my little miracle. A miracle that found it's way to me. Will I get hypermesis tomorrow? I just want to know everything is ok, but if there is anything that I've learned in my life, it's to take it one day at a time. Enjoy the wonderful days, because who the heck knows what tomorrow is going to be like? :roll:
violet73

Re: Pregnant at 40 will I get Hypermesis

Postby DebbieS » Sep 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Definitely surprising news for you! Wishing you a healthy pregnancy, hope it goes well for you. While you can't control if you will get HG (or a blighted ovum) you can control how well the HG is managed. A key part to this is acting sooner rather than later with treatment. By keeping on top of the HG with meds etc right from the start you can keep the HG controlled longer (and we all know how hard HG is to manage when it gets away from us). A six (+) year age gap is great too (my sister is six years younger than me & we are close). You can do this!
Deb
3xHG
DS 2003; Loss 2005.
DD 2007.
DebbieS
Devoted to You

Postby violet73 » Sep 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Thank you DebbieS!!! :D
violet73

Postby violet73 » Oct 10, 2013 10:48 am

Unfortunately, my baby's heart stopped beating at 9 weeks. But I didn't get Hypermesis. I did have terrible nausea, but almost no vomiting. Now it's over anyway.
violet73

Postby DebbieS » Oct 10, 2013 4:58 pm

Very sad. Sorry to hear about your loss.
Deb
3xHG
DS 2003; Loss 2005.
DD 2007.
DebbieS
Devoted to You

Postby violet73 » Oct 22, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks Debbie. :cry:
violet73

Postby christy3 » Mar 27, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi Violet,
My heart breaks for you. Your story sounds very similar to mine. I have a five year old whom I had HG with. And yes, the HG traumatized me as well. Two years after he was born we got pregnant again, age 38, and I had a similar experience as you had....strong nausea but less vomiting. I too miscarried around 10 weeks. :(

Having a miscarriage combined with HG is living hell...there are no other words I can think of to describe the feeling, the ache in my heart, and the struggle to decide if we should try again. I've chickened out many times to try again. The uncertainty is so great, knowing that HG will likely come back and that miscarriage is greater as we age. Without a doubt HG haunts me and I'm frustrated it's stopping me in my tracks to have another child. I think about that precious baby everyday. But knowing I have a baby in heaven comforts me, for I will hug, see, and play with our dear 2nd child some day.

I ran into your post because I am 40 with a five year old and was having the same thoughts you were....HG again? Baby at 40?

Hugs to you Violet.
christy3

Postby lalalabs8 » Nov 19, 2015 1:11 pm

I was crying when I read this post :'( asking god why I always suffer this situation, last year I had HG with my almost trimester, I think 7months... Im so thin that time.. I had 1daughter. its feels hell that I cant eat everytime I eat I vomite too.. I am the one that doing the choires here in our house .. for 8months I suffer dehydrytion and no one to ask for help because my husband have work too.. all that pain ease when I gave birth.. but im so unlucky :'( I had a baby boy for only 5days.. he died because of complications misdiagnosed etc I had chicken pox fresh pulse when Im giving birth to him.. im so unlucky :'( now im pregnant again, I had a ultrasound on my 7weeks.. damn it shows only 4weeks and 5days no yolk no heartbeat, I can't understand? my ob didnt consider it as miscarriage because I dont have that regular mens? my cervix is close.. but I had spotting for 11consecutive days, sometimes I can full a panty liner.. when my spotting stop, I had this nasuea everytime I try to eat something .. help me pls :'( I dont know if im still pregnant.. my next appointment on ultra is on january.. too much waiting:'(
lalalabs8

Return to Preparation for HG