h pylori bacteria linked to HG

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

h pylori bacteria linked to HG

Postby ischa » Jul 19, 2004 11:58 am

After recently suffering a miscarriage after 17 weeks of HG, I have begun researching and keeping a journal of all the info I can find on the topic. To be honest, I think it is helping me grieve/heal.

I found two really interesting and hopeful studies in the Journal of Periantology and Gastroenterology. Each found in two separate studies that 88% (the other 83%) of women with HG carry the H Pylori bacteria. Even more interesting of the group of women who were pregnant but not at all sick (not even morning sickness) less than 8% carried the bacteria. Many people carry the H pylori but it lays dormant until something like pregnancy, extreme stress occur.

The studies are just the first step but they are looking to coorelate them. I have already contacted a GI to be tested.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?
ischa

Postby mommyC3 » Jul 19, 2004 1:47 pm

Yup...someone brought that to my attention with either my first or second pregnancy. Was tested and it came back negative. :cry:
mommyC3

Postby nomore » Jul 20, 2004 12:15 pm

It is interesting! I was tested (blood) and it came back negative after my HG pregnancy. I then recently had an endscopy and they took a tissue sample to test for the bacteria & it came back negative as well. H Pylori, while common, does not appear to be the only "cause" of HG, as many suffer HG and dont carry the bacteria.

I, along with everyone here wishes there were more answers.
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby MamaLily » Jul 20, 2004 2:23 pm

Yes, I've also done some reading about the link between H.Pylori and HG. Apparently Caroline at Motherisk has some good info about it, but when I was researching earlier this year she was on maternity leave. Does anyone know if she's back? I know that Andy has done some research on this subject as well.

Anyway, I think the link is enough to recommend that HGers get tested before ttc - and then during pregnancy. Apparently pregnancy hormones are such that a woman can be negative before conception and then prone to infection during pregnancy.

I was treated for H.Pylori back when I was in college and after a regimen of antibiotics and other meds, I have not had a recurrence. It is rare to have H.Pylori more than once, but I think it can occur. Once you have H.Pylori, you will test positive on the blood test for at least five years.

Before ttc earlier this year, I talked with my peri about H.Pylori and she thought it was worthwhile to get tested. And since the blood test probably would have shown a false positive, I went to the radiology department to be tested. It wasn't anything dangerous, so I think even pregnant women could be tested this way. I fasted for a certain number of hours before the test, then they had me drink some water, take a pill to make the H.Pylori airborne, and then I blew into two balloons. And that was it! Talk about the fastest, easiest, most painless medical test I've ever heard of!

I was negative for H.Pylori (which I suspected). But I think it's worth all HGers being tested before and after conception. Anything that can make a difference is worth doing, in my opinion!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Negetive too!

Postby ashleymoore65 » Jul 20, 2004 9:41 pm

I was also tested and was negetive. But I did have 15 ulcers. I was shocked to be negetive after what all I had read...
Pregnant with #3. Praying for healthy baby abd live birth! Mommy to son Greyson- born 8/19/01, baby Moore lost at 15 weeks 3/09/04 and Mommy to Grant 6/29/ 2005. Severe HG with all 3 pregnancies. TPN, PICC, Zofran Pump, Hospitalization, Home Health Care, you know the drill!
ashleymoore65

Postby RebeccaM » Jul 21, 2004 12:35 pm

It's interesting to me that studies show 83% (or 88%) of HG sufferers carry the bacteria, yet everyone who has responded to this post so far were tested and got negative results. I would be interested to hear from somone who actually tested positive.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

H. pylori

Postby Got2bmaemae » Jan 05, 2005 12:23 pm

I had just heard about H. Pylori and was hoping this was the magical pill ...hoping to go through one NON HG pregnancy.

Oh well,
Got2bmaemae

was treated for H-Pylori three months before the pregnancy

Postby weanat12 » Jan 27, 2005 6:28 am

I too agree that H-Pylori can be a contributing factor to HG.... Being treated for it just three months before conceiving, I feel that it greatly increases your chances of getting HG. I wonder if the H-Pylori might make the HG worse because I lost 57 pounds before any of the meds started to work, and now at almost 7 months still vomit at least twice a week and have only gained 5 pounds back.
weanat12

Postby bibliojo » Jan 27, 2005 1:58 pm

Hi weanat12,

Just curious - did you have a previous pregnancy before this one with HG? Having being treated for H.Pylori before this pregnancy can you say that it was better than your last pregancy? (if you have been pregnant before)

I was just tested for H.Pylori this week and haven't gotten the results back yet. I'm guessing it's going to be negative as I usually don't have stomach issues.

What meds are you on? Is your dr worried about your weight loss? 57 pounds is a lot of weight to lose! I hope that you start to feel better soon, and if you don't, I wish a speedy rest of the pregnancy! You're almost there! :D

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Feb 20, 2005 3:14 pm

Add me to the list of negatives...isn't that odd that only one of us has tested positive?

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Return to Preparation for HG