HG shopping list!!!

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

HG shopping list!!!

Postby Hotbrass » Oct 18, 2005 1:46 pm

I'm at 9 weeks and thought this might help someone. Not in any order.
-Oral b brush ups (for teeth brushing)
-Chapstick brand (All Natural)
-UNCENTED EVERYTHING!........
-Soap (Aveeno)
- Shampoo
- Toothpaste
- lotion (Aveeno)
- Deodorant (Arm in Hammer worked for me),
- laundry soap (Amway sa8 or All free and clear?),
- Dish washing soap (I know this sounds crazy but the smell of the soap on my dishes makes me sick)
-paper plates, cups and paper towels (makes it easier on DH taking care of me and kids)
-A variety of Cool-aid flavors (I can't stand plain water but very watered down Cool-aid works)
-Unisom SLEEP TABS
-SUBLINGUAL B6
-Nux vomica (health food store)
- Red raspberry leaf tea
-Comfortable sports bras, soft loose undies and soft bathrobe
-Make sure you have extra pillows (after three weeks in bed, it's nice to prop up in different positions such as between your knees because the hips hurt)
-If you can, have a window close to your bed so if you need fresh or cool air it's right there. (This has saved me many times from food cooking smells etc..)
-Might want to think of a book on Cd or radio for when your feeling better and tired of the alone in your room locked away from the world but now well enough to go back to normal life.
- A calendar! During my hardest times I need a way to see that time is still moving and I would make a + sign and mark off every 6 hours that I had survived (12:00am-6:am,6am-noon etc..) I need to know I'm making progress! It's also a good idea to rate how bad the day is so you can see if there is a pattern or to see progress.
- I need it cold in the room so we can close the door to the room and cool it down by opening windows (October in Montana) or you could air condition or fan if you need to but the rest of the family doesn't have to freeze.
-Think about voice mail or turning the phones down or off (Nothing like hearing chipper, FINE, loud people when you puking)
- The way I can write this now is a laptop in bed wireless would be good. (It has helped me in a huge way to have other HG ladies to touch base with)
- WHEN BETTER BUT NOT GOOD Plug in cooler or paper bag with ice packs by the bed that my DH stocks at night helps him get more sleep. a piece of toast, Natural high yogurt cup every other brand is too sweet and makes me sick, cheese stick or whatever works for you.

SIDE NOTE ON FOOD I can taste metal in a can of chicken noodle soup or plastic in any drink that is bottled in plastic! I have never been this way! I'm a junk food nut! My favorite food is from Mcdonalds! But now I HATE PLASTIC! If DH cooks me a cup of plain rice and microwaves it in a tupperware bowl I can taste it (He has actually tested me on this and couldn't believe he couldn't fool me by putting something in glass after the fact!) If by DD brings me Cool-aid in a plastic cup I can't drink it! I taste plastic! I think this is God's way of protecting the Baby from things that don't faze me on a normal day but the Baby doesn't need to ingest or breath right now.

-PS. The people around you may not be understanding of the suffering your going through. Make a page of verses on how God feels about Babies or the value of children or Mothering. Or quotes on the value of what your working for, some form of encouragement! Remind yourself that this is worth it! You are doing a huge job and you will make it!

Plan ahead! Don't wait for a + sign, get your family ready now. Well hope this helps someone Feel free to add the the shopping list if you have something that helped you make it through but you don't think of until your already there. Monique

PPS! Thought of one more thing! A seat in the shower! If you can't get a shower seat then a 5 gallon bucket and a gardening knee pad will do. I couldn't believe how weak I am with only a month of bed rest.
Last edited by Hotbrass on Oct 24, 2005 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HGx4 - Long term dental issues and Esophageal Damage
Tank (19) Untreated! Fought Pre-E last 6 weeks
Angel (17) Untreated!
Cougar (10) 6 Zofran pills. Mild PPD
Pumpkin (4) Acupuncture, Chinese Medicine, Homeopathy, IV's, Zofran and you name it, I've probably tried it.
H.F.G. is in the arms of Jesus (Miscarriage at 3 months/I was 40) after 2 months in bed sick.
Hotbrass
Been There Done That

Postby bibliojo » Oct 20, 2005 11:12 pm

Thanks for posting this! You're got some really good ideas and it's a great list for those of us preparing to work off of!

Also for those of us preparing, I came across a book this week that I've requested from the library. It's called "Cereal for Dinner" and it's all about how moms can cope when they are seriously ill and cannot care for their families. It wasn't HG specific (more like cancer, hospitalizations etc) but I'm sure it's probably got some suggestions that will help us. I'll let you know how it is!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Return to Preparation for HG