research on preemptive treatment

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

research on preemptive treatment

Postby IslandDreamer » Feb 10, 2008 11:20 am

Preemptive treatment makes a lot of difference for most of us. Here's a link to some of the research:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1536 ... t=Abstract
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby Princesshood » Mar 03, 2008 11:52 pm

I love it when I read posts that are so insightful. I hope this works for many.
:hugs: Sara

Jak, Angel Baby since August 2006

Princesshood
HG Diva

Postby IslandDreamer » Jul 13, 2008 12:04 pm

Jen, here's the link.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby anji » Oct 07, 2008 4:31 pm

If I am reading correctly, does that mean you start taking Zofran BEFORE conception?

It says "The recruited women commenced pre-emptive drug therapy for NVP before conception or up to 7 weeks' gestation, before the appearance of NVP symptoms in all cases."

How would you get a doc to sign off on that? Has anyone succeeded?
"I'm growing another family member. What's your superpower, DH?"

JJ 11/22/06
Angel Baby August 2009
anji
Opinionated HGer

Postby aaronsmommy » Oct 07, 2008 4:37 pm

The pre-emptive therapy included things like vitamin B6 and doxylamine. I doubt if anyone was actually getting zofran prior to conception.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby KellyR » Nov 18, 2008 9:50 pm

Okay - I'm 4 weeks preg and just started zofran preemptively - PRAYING that it works!! I'm so scared.

Thanks for posting this info!
Kelly

DS - Hunter born 7/18/05 - HG entire pregnancy
DD - Daphne born 7/19/09 - HG entire pregnancy
KellyR
Been There Done That

Postby 4rivers » Apr 11, 2009 9:02 am

The link doesn't work anymore can someone repost or put the citation?

Thank you!!
Tasneem
4rivers
Been There Done That

Postby aaronsmommy » Apr 11, 2009 9:42 am

It still works fine for me, maybe the site was having problems before? Here is the citation J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004 Aug;24(5):530-3 Pre-emptive therapy for severe nausea and vomiting of pregnancy and hyperemesis gravidarum Koren G, Maltepe C.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby IslandDreamer » Apr 11, 2009 8:29 pm

J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004 Aug;24(5):530-3.

Pre-emptive therapy for severe nausea and vomiting of pregnancy and hyperemesis gravidarum.
Koren G, Maltepe C.

Motherisk Program, Division of Clinical Pharmacology/Toxicology, The Hospital for Sick Children Toronto, University of Toronto, Canada. gkoren@sickkids.ca

Nausea and vomiting of pregnancy (NVP) affects 80% of pregnancies. Its severe form, hyperemesis gravidarum (HG), results in dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, the need for hospitalisation and can, rarely, be fatal. This was a prospective, open-labelled, controlled, interventional study to evaluate the effectiveness of pre-emptive treatment of NVP symptoms in women who experienced severe NVP or HG in their previous pregnancy. Twenty-five women who reported severe symptoms of NVP with or without HG in their previous pregnancy were recruited and counselled to commence the use of antiemetics as soon as they became aware of the present pregnancy, and no later than the beginning of symptoms. They were followed-up prospectively through the index pregnancy for symptoms of NVP, and were counselled continuously as to how to modify antiemetic doses based on symptoms. A comparison group consisted of randomly selected women also counselled by us for NVP, who had also had severe NVP in the previous pregnancy, but who did not call before a planned pregnancy and thus could not be offered pre-emptive therapy. The recruited women commenced pre-emptive drug therapy for NVP before conception or up to 7 weeks' gestation, before the appearance of NVP symptoms in all cases. In comparison to the previous pregnancy, only eight of these 18 women experienced a HG again in the index pregnancy (P = 0.01). The majority of study the women had an improvement in severity of NVP symptoms compared to the previous pregnancy. In the comparison group (n = 35), symptoms in the index pregnancy remained severe in 28 cases (80%), decreased to moderate in six (16.6%) and decreased to mild in five cases (13.9%). There were five cases of HG in the previous pregnancy and three in the index pregnancy. The pre-emptive group was improved significantly compared to the control group (P = 0.01). Pre-emptive symptom management appears to be effective in preventing severe NVP in general, and HG in particular. Women who have experienced severe NVP in a previous pregnancy may benefit from taking antiemetics before, or immediately at the start of symptoms in a subsequent pregnancy.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby 4rivers » Apr 12, 2009 9:02 am

Thank you!!! No plans yet, but the debate continues in my mind day after day... This gives me hope!

And then there is the steroid study on the home page which looks promising too.

Wouldn't that be amazing if I could work and be sort of normal and not have a PICC and have a miracle at the end!

Thank you all so much!
Tasneem
4rivers
Been There Done That

Postby Clevelandkimberly » Dec 20, 2009 7:38 pm

Hello Kelly. Curious if the Zofran worked with you using it before you had symptoms. I'll be trying the same thing and didn't know if you saw a benefit. Zofran's so expensive.

thanks.
Kimberly
1 angel- HG through 10 weeks
1 daughter- HG through 25 weeks
Clevelandkimberly

Postby 5girls4me+12b » Sep 08, 2010 7:36 am

For the last four pregnancies, I've been handed a prescription for the maximum dose of Zofran before or immediately after testing positive. I start taking it the first time I gag, before I throw up. With two pregnancies that protocol prevented me from needing ANY hydration or hospitalization at all. In my last pregnancy, it still wasn't enough, and I had to move to a Zofran pump. This time (at 4 weeks), I've taken two pills, but am generally okay, and just waiting for the nausea to set in. I'm hoping the Zofran does the trick this time, too.

-Cecelia, mom to 5 DDs (12, 10, 7, 5, 11 months), and EDD 5/14
5x HG survivor
5girls4me+12b

how?

Postby anna.d.1325 » Oct 06, 2010 9:06 pm

If everyone is using Zofran, especially at the maximum dose, then HOW do you manage the constipation it causes? That was worse than the vomiting almost!!!
anna.d.1325

Postby 5girls4me+12b » Oct 07, 2010 5:56 am

It's awful, I agree. I have to have enemas every five days. Yuck and ouch.
Mom (37) to DDs (14, 12, 10, 8, and 3), DS (2), angel August (died 9/12 @8 weeks' gestation), and EDD 11/11/13

6x HG survivor, surviving round 7 one day at a time
5girls4me+12b

Generic Zofran is less expensive and constipation treatment

Postby Stormlady » Oct 24, 2010 1:11 am

Hi,

I had the generic of Zofran (Ondansetron) prescribed, it is less expensive and the same stuff. My Dr. had me take Reglan (keeps things "moving") and milk of magnesia and a stool softener to help with the constipation.

Hope that helps.

Michelle
Stormlady
2X HG Survivor
Stormlady

Re: research on preemptive treatment

Postby mrs.vandy » Jan 10, 2013 1:06 pm

I am TTC with my second child. During a visit to my high-risk doctor last month I was given a Rx for Zofran. It is filled and ready to go for that first awful sensation of nausea. This is promising information and I hope it works for me. I can't imagine having to go through another HG pregnancy like my first. Good luck ladies!
Melissa

DD Marley 12/4/08 - HG till 20 weeks
mrs.vandy

Return to Preparation for HG