Gender selection?

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Gender selection?

Postby Caurie » May 27, 2005 2:53 pm

I have not researched this at all, but the idea popped in my head this morning that maybe my HG would be better the second time around if I had a baby of the opposite sex? Did anyone find this true? If it is possible I may actually look into gender selection.
HG Survivor and Mommy to:
Brice 11/04/03
Pregnant! #2 due 01/29/07
Caurie

Postby emily » May 27, 2005 4:16 pm

Um, yeah. I had that thought too. I was going to try some of the natural gender selection methods out there, but then, i really wanted to get pg as quickly as possible (lol trying to keep my kiddos only 4 years apart in school). So, by chance, I am having a boy (first was a girl) and it honestly hasn't been better. Maybe a tiny bit better. It has been different, but it has still royally sucked.
emily
Devoted to You

Postby Jolene » May 28, 2005 1:55 pm

I have two children, a boy and girl and I didn't have HG with either. This time, I am having a girl and I have HG. I can't figure it out, so I don't know if gender plays a role or not.

Jolene
Jolene
HG Diva

Postby Atsie » May 28, 2005 6:33 pm

I just had my first and need awhile to recover and bank sick time! But Mom had HG bad with me and had regular M/S with my brother (or so she says!) I don't know if it makes a difference but I am praying!
Erin
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby Lil7Deb » May 28, 2005 7:52 pm

I had a girl first go around, and I'm pregnant with a boy this time around. Personally I think the only thing that really helped me was the detox's that I did. I don't think that the gender of my baby has anything to do with it. It might. This time around it took longer to set in, but it was just as ugly and I've vomited MUCH more often this time then last time, and my symptoms hung on longer. I think the only thing that prolonged the onset was all the healthy things I did as a routine before we got pregnant. Just my 2 cents!

You could be right though. I have heard a few people say that they had an easier time around with a different gendered baby. But I think a lot of factors play into that as well. Each baby is different, each pregnancy is different and each situation leading up to the baby is different.

Good luck though if you do decide to do it! :)
Deborah

Mom to Mackenzie (2002) and Collin (2005)
Lil7Deb
Been There Done That

Postby emily » May 28, 2005 9:45 pm

Jolene,

Out of curiosity, is the father different this time around? LOL Silly sounding question I know but I was reading that pre-eclampsia in subsequent pgs can happen (usually, not always, it is a first time pg thing) if the father is different.

I blame it all on my dh :)

LOLOL

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

Postby Jolene » May 29, 2005 6:29 pm

Emily,

As a matter of fact, he isn't that same father as my two kids. That thought has crossed my mind many times. I am almost positive that has something to do with with having HG this time and not the first two times.

Jolene
Jolene
HG Diva

Postby emily » May 29, 2005 8:25 pm

Hm, well that is interesting. Well, I have heard so many theories and it seems like they happen for some people and not for others. I have heard the theory that it is an allergic reaction to the father's dna in your body.
emily
Devoted to You

Postby IslandDreamer » May 29, 2005 9:36 pm

Hi All,

Most of the time, HG just gets worse with each subsequent pregnancy, regardless of gender. The studies have not shown a correlation between gender and severity of HG. Seems it's all about us, not the babe. :?
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby bratty477 » Jun 17, 2005 6:49 pm

Gosh, that is news that I didn't want to hear...that it gets worse with each one. I was so sick when I was pregnant with my daughter that it horrifies me when I think about going through it again. My husband and I know that we want another baby but I was hoping that if I get pregnant with a boy that I wouldn't get HG.

When my mother was first pregnant with my brother, she was fine. But when she became pregnant with me, she was so sick with HG that she couldn't even walk (that is how I was when I was pregnant with my daughter).

Given that some think that your pregnancies mirror that of your mother, I was hoping and am still hoping... :?
bratty477
HG Expert

Postby IslandDreamer » Jun 18, 2005 5:24 pm

Definitely not what any of us wants to hear, but if you go into a subsequent pregnancy assuming it will be worse, you're more prepared and can still be pleasantly surprised if it's the same or milder. I've not, however, know anyone who had HG to not have it again, except Nikki who posts on here. She says her sub pg was more like severe NVP.

Even with what I believe about HG getting worse with each pg, better management can make a worse case of HG more tolerable. This time with Five, my HG is definitely worse than with Christopher, but it's actually being treated aggressively, so it's easier to cope with. I still can't do much most days, but I feel human. My pregnancy with my daughter last year was beyond the scope of bad for me, but she had Downs and the doc attributes the severity of the HG to the extra hcg surging through my system because of the T21 (but this is a theory, one I agree with, but a theory nonetheless).

Everyone pg has been different, but each time I got past 5/6 weeks, I did get HG again.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Return to Preparation for HG