Pregnant and so far OK

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Pregnant and so far OK

Postby ischa » May 12, 2005 8:17 am

I wanted to post this but have been afraid too. Almost like I'll jinx it.

I am now a tiny bit over 5 weeks pregnant and not sick at all, smells aren't even bothering me. With my last three pregnancies I was already feeling bad. I have been following a liver detox plan and have been seeing and acupuncturist for about 7 months now.

Here is what I have done so far. I started taking Milk Thistle and Dandelion Root, B6, calcium with mag, and zinc, Vit K. I also have been taking and Essiac Tea, the brand name is Ojibwa Tea of life. It is supposed to be one of the best liver detox plans. I think this has been a huge help as since I have taken it (started last summer) I have been extremely healthy. No winter colds... You can find it online under Ojibwa tea of life.

When I started the tea I also did an extremely strict detox diet for one month. I planned to do it longer but one night I got out of control and drank a Coke and then fell completely off the wagon. However, for a month I ate absolutle nothing that wasn't completely natural. I also ate no white sugar and no fat. For the first 8 days I was miserable then it became much easier (until the Coke, followed by the chips, followed by the BK cheeseburger.) Since I found out I was pregnant I am again limiting my fats.

Well, there it is. I hope it will be helpful. There is so little you can find about treating HG preconception so hopefully we can all make our own research.
ischa

Postby nomore » May 12, 2005 9:14 am

Its just me :) Im praying for you every step of the way, since we are on such similar paths!!!! I hope you continue to feel great..... :)
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby ischa » May 12, 2005 10:15 am

Hello Rdevine.

I forgot in my message to you to tell you that my lp also shortenend during this process. I thought it was the acupuncture. My Dr. told me it would actually create changes in the uterus. Maybe that was it but maybe your right perhaps it was the Milk Thistle. Either way I got pregnant with the shorter lp. Some of my cycles were only 23 days. The neat part is is that this little one only took 4 months of concentrated tryingt. My first two took a year and a year and a half.

Thanks for praying. I found myself wigging out a bit this morning and then realized I can give this to the very same God who has blessed me with this new little one.
ischa

Postby bibliojo » May 12, 2005 12:03 pm

Congrats on your pregnancy! :D I hope all goes well for you!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby nomore » May 12, 2005 12:45 pm

Thank you for sharing the info about your shortend cycles. I am somewhat scared as we have concienvied on our 1st months in the past. I also really want to concivieve THIS month as one of my best friends just found out she is about 4/5 weeks along!!!!! Timing is good right now :)

I am debating on still taking some herbs, but a couple times a week.... hmmm....... :)

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby Jolene » May 14, 2005 5:13 pm

Ischa,

My friend recommended this book called the Detox Diet, did you ever read itt? I thought it was great. I was no where near as strict as you were with your detox, but I gave up white sugar and most processed foods. I was really feeling great with this healthful change in diet, then I got pregnant and got HG. Now, I eat whatever my body wants regardless of what's in it. When I give birth, I will go back to the healthfood route. I just can't be too picky right now!
I always wondered about this theory of mine, tell me what you think; I eliminated at least 90% of my chemical intake from foods and then all of a sudden I was pregnant and my body was getting huge doses of pregnancy chemicals. Could it be possible that since my body was so used to being chemical free, that it reacted to the chemicals with HG? I know it sounds far fetched, but I didn't have HG with either of my other two pregnancies and I can't figure out why I would get it this time around!
Anyway, I have a lot of time on my hands to think up crazy theories lately while I lie around nauseous!

Jolene
Jolene
HG Diva

Postby Kadinga » May 15, 2005 5:00 am

Ischa,

Congrats :D on your pg, and I hope that it is still going well!!!

I was very interested to read about your shortenend cycles, as mine have shrunk in the last 2 cycles. My biggest detox step was cutting out caffeine (up to 6 or 7 coffees a day) and with it the white sugar that was going in to it. I've also moved from full fat milk to 1% and added a lot more fresh fruit.

Do you think that the detoxing shortened your cycle? or helped get pg? or helped stave off the HG fairy?

I'm very interested in your thoughts

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby ischa » May 17, 2005 7:43 am

Hi, sorry for the delayed response. I started spotting on Friday of last week and was worried it was a miscarriage. To me, that would have explained why I am not sick.

We went to the doctor on Fri. and they said things looked good although it is early for an ultrasound. They could only see a gestation sac and that my endometrial lining was very thick. It said I was only about 4.5 weeks which confuses me because I got my first extremely faint pos. test at about 9 days past ovulation. I guess it is not an exact science as the same thing occured with my son. They did my betas and they came back very high at 10,000. They retested on Sunday and they were 14,000 so my doctor is pretty confident all is well. I am also shocked again that I am not throwing up because my betas last time were not that high until about 8 weeks. Does anyone know about levels? Were yours that high this early. I read a study that some women with HG have higher levels but they never listed the levels. I go back on Friday for another ultrasound.

As far as the detox questions I am beginning to think the low fat/no fat/suger free eating is really key. I have been feeling great but I have been eating extremely low fat/low sugar (which is ok until about week 9). Last night we went out with friends and I had fried chicken fingers and a coke (I have no idea why!). This morning I feel not so great, I am not "sick" but my stomach, up high near the ribs, is very sore and I have felt a bit quezzy.

I don't think the detox or being chemical free would cause HG because they are all man made chemicals in food, the pregnancy hormones are not synthetic. I do think we with HG are allergic to the pregnancy hormones in that they slow down the function of our stomachs, spleen, and liver. There is a doctor in Dallas who will actually does injections of the pg hormones for allergy shots just like rag weed or pollen allergies. We were and are still planning on going out there if I do get very ill. YOu can find iformation for this on line under provocation neutralization and HG.

I've never read the book you have mentioned but I have seen it on line. I would be interested in reading it. If this works out I think I may become a bit radical wanting to get the word out that maybe there is hope for HG. I have found myself writing a letter to Oprah in my head, giving her this website and asking her to help shed some light on this for women who are suffering or have suffered. I think I may be a bit off my rocker. :)

Ischa
ischa

Postby ischa » May 17, 2005 7:50 am

I forgot the shortened cycle question, sorry.

I don't think the detox shortened it as it didn't shorten until I started doing the acupuncture and the milk thistle. Also, it shortened for about 5 cycles but then my last two were 27/28 days. Since I got pg I am not sure if this was a fluke and they would have gone back or stayed normal.

I do know with one cycle I o'd really early so my lp was still an acceptable length.

Hope some of this helps.
ischa

Postby Kadinga » May 18, 2005 4:40 am

Thankyou Ischa, yes that does help. I've "slipped off the wagon" with my detox lately, and now I feel very motivated to get tough again.

Good luck with your next visit, hopefully there won't be any more of that spotting.

~~~~~~Baby glue~~~~~~~~

:)

Amanda
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby Jolene » May 18, 2005 12:22 pm

I have also thought about writing to Oprah. She seems to have such a sensitive side and getting the word out about HG could be so beneficial to those who don't know they are suffering from it. Has anyone ever written her about HG? I wonder if any celebrities have ever suffered with this, we always see them glowing on TV with their big round bellies but you never hear of an extremely sick star who is pregnant.
Jolene
HG Diva

Postby Kadinga » May 18, 2005 9:35 pm

In the "publicizing HG" folder there is a thread where they talk about a "Write to Oprah" month that didn't produce any response, which I found very disappointing.

If I lived in the States, I'd be writing to Dr Phil. They've done shows on Menopause and PPD and how these women's health issues impact families. Why not do a story on HG? My doctor says HG is the number one reason why women choose not to have more children. Doesn't it then have serious and long term impact on society as a whole?

:)

Amanda
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby Kariinbliss » May 22, 2005 4:07 pm

Hi! I'm pretty new here, but wanted to chime in on the letter writing campaign. I think it would be great for this to be more publicized. How many of us were told we were just sick because we "really" didn't want to be pregnant? Or, in my case, because I was adopted I had "issues" with keeping my babies. I think if Dr. Phil or Oprah got involved, you'd see a lot more doctors taking us seriously and there would be some major treatment options discussed. We were told not to have any more children (once a gastroenterologist confirmed I was really sick and it WASN'T all in my head), and it's taken us 10 years to get the courage to do this again. Maybe if some big talk-show personality was to feature this topic on their show, some stars would come out and admit that they were sick with HG too. Sorry if this is "rambly"... the nausea is getting to me!
Kariinbliss
Been There Done That

Postby Kadinga » May 22, 2005 10:28 pm

The biggest problem with Dr Phil is that the best way to get a response from him would be for a group of US HG ladies to write in and say they are willing to go on the show and talk about the ways that it has affected their lives and the battles they have had to move forward. However important the subject is, it doesn't change the fact that what happens within our families is intensely personal stuff, and sharing it here is still in a way so much more private than putting yourself on TV and having it laid out for the entire world to see. You know what I mean?

Ischa - 7 weeks now? Are things still okay??

Amanda
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby ischa » May 23, 2005 7:47 am

Hi, Yep going into 7 weeks and things are still OK. We saw the heartbeat of the little one on Friday.

On Saturday I started to feel a bit nauseaus and to be honest I freaked and started taking Zofran. I only took one and was fine for over 24 hours, now I am constipated. I think I may be having a touch of what normal morning sickness must be. Yesterday we went to a picnic and I started to feel a bit off and realized I had to eat something. We got there, I ate and I was fine. It happened again in the evening and I ate again and was OK. I couldn't believe it. There I was pregnant, no one knows, and I am eating with a group of people. It is almost like I am watching myself instead of living. I think it is another emotional effect of HG.

I am starting to feel a bit more confident (but still scared) that all may be well as last pregnancy I was out on the couch by this time and in a few days from now (7.5 weeks) I had started my hospital stay.
ischa

Postby nomore » May 23, 2005 8:15 am

Im glad to hear thats its going well :) YOU are my insiraption right now! I am in the 2 ww... AF will be due in 4 to 5 days. I have had some pregnancy symptoms.. sore breasts, cramping in the uterus area.... my nipples look different to me... (yeah I know Im nuts....lol). Oh, and Ive been EXHAUSTED!!!!! And, a friend who guessed I was prego last time... before I knew told me I was pregnant on Saturday..... I of course told her to bite her tongue.... she said I was glowing...lol

Anyways, if I am, last time I was already nauseated by now... off and on. And, so far, I am not... so of course I am skepital I am making up the other "symptoms" of pregnancy!!!!!

So, I am glad you are doing SO great!!!! Its giving me hope!

Sending hugs,

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby Kadinga » May 23, 2005 10:39 pm

Wow, there is hope! It certainly sounds like you're going to have an easier run this time. How cool to capable of keeping a pregnancy secret until you want to tell!

Robin, my fingers are crossed for you, too. You deserve a good run after all you've been through and all this preparation. :)

Amanda
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Return to Preparation for HG