Gall Bladder and HG

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Gall Bladder and HG

Postby princess » Apr 05, 2005 2:41 pm

Does anyone know where I can get some info regarding the gall bladder and HG? I cannot remember where I read that HG and Gall bladder disease may be related, and I have had mine out since my last pregnancy. Will this affect my next pregnancy? Does anyone else have any experience with this relationship?

Thanks!
-Erin

Wyatt- 8 (NVP)
Julianna- 6 (HG)
princess
Been There Done That

Postby nomore » Apr 06, 2005 1:38 pm

Erin,

In addition to Hg, I also had major Gb problems in my 1st pregnancy. I had my GB removed when my DD was 15 months old,mostly because it still bothered me occasionally and I was prepping for my 2nd pregnancy. I had some hopes that it would make a difference. Well, my severe HG went to even more severe in my 2nd pregnancy. I dont think it is realted to the GB, but taking it out, didnt HELP the pregnacy. GB problems are actually pretty common in pregnancy, with or without HG. Good luck!!!!

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby teddi » Apr 06, 2005 1:47 pm

I'm going to echo Robin- one risk of developing gallbladder disease is pregnancy itself. IMO HG increases the risk of developing problems & puts further strain on the entire hepatic/disgestive system.

I had my gallbladder removed w/my first pregnancy @ 16 wks. It resolved the pain I was having, but didn't make the HG go away. Perhaps not having that problem too helped w/my second, but I still had HG. I feel that I combatted the HG better however, so it wasn't quite as bad for me, though it still lasted until delivery.

Hope this helps.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby princess » Apr 08, 2005 5:36 pm

Bummer. That is so not what I wanted to hear! Thanks for your honesty though. I know everyone in my situation longs for a normal pregnancy, and would do anything to make it as normal as possible. I guess I have to go with the old addage, hope for the best and plan for the worst!
-Erin

Wyatt- 8 (NVP)
Julianna- 6 (HG)
princess
Been There Done That

Perhaps

Postby Laurie » Apr 18, 2005 12:09 pm

I had HG with #1, lost 60lbs during the pgcy, used Compazine, was hospitalized a couple times, etc. But it pretty much resolved around 20wks, except that it left behind a total lack of appetite and I had to force-feed for the remainder of pgcy.

With #2, the NVP was much less severe...but I was on Compazine & B6 & Unisom as soon as I started feeling sick. The NVP was gone at 16 wks, except for that lack of appetite, and at 17wks, I was diagnosed with gallstones. I suffered attacks all through my pgcy and took tylenol w/ codeine when they hit. I had my GB out when DD was a month old. Lost 60lbs.

With #3, NVP was even less severe - I took B6 & Unisom only during the days for a couple weeks. Lost only 25lbs so far (DD is 4wks).

I can't say that having the GB out helped the HG because my HG seems to get less with each pgcy. I know that makes me the slim exception to the HG rule and I thank God everytime I come here and read others' stories. But I thought I'd tell you my story anyway. If nothing else, at least you won't deal with attacks while pg!! And as you get to the end of pgcy with GB issues, the uterus pushes on the GB and intensifies the attacks - NO fun.

Good luck! I hope that having it out DOES make a difference for you!
Laurie
#4 due 4-14-07, 2nd HG pgcy
10 weeks
Laurie
Welcomed Friend

I was wondering about this too...

Postby jenmom » Jun 21, 2005 1:45 pm

I started having gall bladder attacks right after baby #3 was born- it was by far my worst case of HG although I did have it with all 3 pregnancies. I would LOVE a 4th baby, but am not sure that I can put our family through another pregnancy. I had my gall bladder out when my baby was 2 months. I was hoping that this would improve another pregnancy too!
Mom to 3 HG babies '95, '98, '03 - I'm so grateful
jenmom

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 23, 2005 1:34 pm

Just echoing the experiences of the others here--I had my gall bladder out when Brody (2nd HG) was 6 weeks old. I don't know if I had problems with his pregnancy or not; I didn't notice anything, or maybe I just attributed pain to being 9+ months pregnant. But he was 2 weeks old when I started having major attacks, so out it came. My doctors weren't optimistic that losing my gall bladder would cure HG, and they were right. I saw no change in HG with the two pregnancies after that, though I did vomit less of the thick, sludgy bile.

It does seem like many HGers have gall bladder issues, but it would appear that it's a symptom of the problem, not the cause. Good luck to you!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby princess » Jun 27, 2005 2:46 pm

I am beginning to think that the cause of HG is different for everyone. For some people it seems to be an allergy, maybe to some a gall bladder and and some that H. Pylori. And if no one has the same cause, then no one has the same treatment, or reaction to treatment. it's just crazy. All of us can only hope that the next time goes better for whatever reason.
-Erin

Wyatt- 8 (NVP)
Julianna- 6 (HG)
princess
Been There Done That

Return to Preparation for HG