Milk Thisle / and or Dandelion Root when pregnant anyone?

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Milk Thisle / and or Dandelion Root when pregnant anyone?

Postby nomore » Mar 24, 2005 7:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I am preping for my appoitment with my Peri next week and I still think I want to take milk thisle and/or dandelion root WHILE pregnant. I am currently taking a chinese herbal mixture that has both Milk Thisle and Dandelion Root in it. I am not going to take this supplment when pregnant, but I each of these herbs increase liver function.

Has ANYONE taken either of these WHILE pregnant before? I keep reading mixed info on the safety of milk thisle when pregnant, which is kind of making it hard to figure out what to do!

Any imput would be appreciated!

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Mar 24, 2005 7:39 pm

Hi Robin,

Sorry I can't help you out on this one. You are far more an expert on Milk Thistle than me!! :) However, I thought you may want to know that Christi posted in our roll call we have going on in HG outside of the US folder that she is currently pregnant and taking Milk Thistle. Maybe pm her if you don't get any responses, but I'm sure somebody out there will chime in.

Hugs,
Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Detox tea

Postby princess » Mar 30, 2005 1:39 pm

I am currently drinking a milk thistle, dandelion tea in preparation for conception. I was also thinking of continuing drinking it if I get pregnant fast (before I feel completely detoxed). The first 3 days I was drinking it in the morning I felt like crap. But now I feel better than ever. It has really heled me control chocolate cravings ( been off sweets for two weeks). As far as taking it while pregnant, nearly all I have read shows that it is safe. It is even recommended for nursing mommies to increase milk production. I think there has probably not been a ton of research done in this area, that is why the medical community shys away from recommending it. I have thought of switching to a supplement though, because my tea is so nasty. Nasty nasty. Oh and I am also a wine drinker, well not a wino, but I often drink wine with dinner, and it has just sounded totally repulsive since I've been on the tea. Let me know if you have had similar effects.
-Erin

Wyatt- 8 (NVP)
Julianna- 6 (HG)
princess
Been There Done That

Postby nomore » Mar 31, 2005 9:11 pm

Erin,

Thanks for the info! I am taking pill supplements right now and have decided to continue this into a future pregnancy. Yes, feeling nasty means the supplements are working! As your body detoxes, it feels nasty before better. I have been detoxing now for about 6 weeks and currently feel GREAT! Its funny that you said that about chocolate. Its the one thing I started CRAVING in the last 6 weeks. I CANT get enough!!!! But, I try to be reasonable :) I am not a big drinker, but I am more concoius now and I am working on making my diet as organic as possible. Do they make organic chocolate ? j/k

Hope your prep work continues to be great. I am also doing a full body detox with Body Pure foot pads. The have been great so far as well.

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Return to Preparation for HG