Family Food Planning

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Family Food Planning

Postby Kadinga » Mar 23, 2005 10:58 pm

I've been planning menus for my family, with shopping lists to go with them, so that when I'm spewing I can still feel like I'm taking some responsibility for my daughter's care and maintaining some independence. I thought that this might help some others out there, so I've posted one week's list on the foodments board.

I know I won't be able to eat much of what is on there myself, but the meals should be adaptable for me, even if I have to get my hubby to pick the bits I can eat out of a bowl for me. This way, when I do feel like eating there will be something available and I won't have had to think about it. I will also be able to send someone in to the supermarket for me, which will be good. I don't know about you, but for me, supermarkets are among the most evil places on the planet when I'm pregnant.

Good luck to everyone planning to go back for another try!!
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby _Laurie » Jul 28, 2005 7:30 am

Such a good idea! I'll have to go check out the foodment board to see your lists now. :) Thanks for sharing!
Laurie
3HG pregnancies: 2 sweet girls 4/01, 4/03, and my twins 1/27/07

We could never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world.
-Helen Keller
_Laurie
Forum Moderator

Postby sal » Aug 16, 2005 5:26 pm

I checked out your list only recently, it is an excellent idea so I've started one also. Dh thinks I am obsessing a bit on this preparation thing but it is keeping me busy while all the ttc goes on. This waiting is awful!

Anyway I found really goog containers for storing toddler food - they are cheap :D , reusable, dishwasher and microwave proof and most importantly for us freezer proof :D :D They come in packs of 20. I have the 8 and 12 oz ones - ideal for toddler dinners. So all leftover portions of family dinners are going straight to the freezer ( along with the 3 months supply already there - obsessive I know :? )
the website is www.babypotz.com
[Niamh August 2001 - HG from 7 weeks
Ronan November 2003- HG from 6 weeks
Cliona July 2006 - HG from 6 weeks - Open heart surgery at 17 weeks and doing well!
m/c April 2008 - no HG
Dearbhla April 2009 and lost her twin Sep 2008 - Hg from week 6
sal
Been There Done That

Postby Kadinga » Aug 16, 2005 9:36 pm

Sal,

I don't think you're obsessive at all! My DH rolled his eyes at me too, but now I've got the flu and I can just pull out Heather's meals, knowing that I've got time to replenish them, it's been GREAT! I'm starting to think that this might be a good way to live life in general.......

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby bibliojo » Aug 16, 2005 10:02 pm

Sal,

Those are great little containers! I think I'm going to look around here to see if I can find something similar.

Amanda,

Sorry to hear you have to flu. :( I hope it doesn't make you lose your nerve "ttc"ing...

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Kadinga » Aug 16, 2005 10:18 pm

Hi there Joanna,

I did lose my nerve when I was sick like this a few months ago, but this time DD is down with me (she actually put herself to bed for an early nap today :shock: ) and DH has been a lot more helpful, so if anything, it's vaguely encouraging? :?

Amanda
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby sal » Aug 17, 2005 4:52 pm

Amanda,
Poor you - hope you and dd are better soon - has being bed bound brought back bad memories???????
Is it winter there? we are currently having the Irish version of summer (slightly less rain! :) ) So we will soon head into the season of coughs and colds here. It is so hard to manage kids when you are feeling rotten yourself. Hope you are both up and about soon.

Sal

Ps - its a great opportunity for dh to get some practise in minding you:D :D
[Niamh August 2001 - HG from 7 weeks
Ronan November 2003- HG from 6 weeks
Cliona July 2006 - HG from 6 weeks - Open heart surgery at 17 weeks and doing well!
m/c April 2008 - no HG
Dearbhla April 2009 and lost her twin Sep 2008 - Hg from week 6
sal
Been There Done That

Postby Kadinga » Aug 17, 2005 10:49 pm

Sal,

This bug has got a good grip on me, but no vomitting so no flash backs. :wink: Yesterday DD put herself to bed at 10:30 am and slept for over 4 hours, so I can't complain about her too much. Today DH took her out "odd jobbing" around the farm with him and when they came in we mentioned sleep and she trotted off to her bedroom to gather up her bears and choose a story with no coaxing at all. She must be feeling pretty rotten, poor thing.

It is winter here at the moment, but I have no business complaining, really. We have Irish friends who were out here visiting a few years ago, in May/June when it is quite cool here, and they were laughing at me wearing my big coat while they were in their T-shirts. :lol: I guess temperature is all relative.

:)

Amanda
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Return to Preparation for HG