Vitamin B6 doesn't agree with me... What now??

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Vitamin B6 doesn't agree with me... What now??

Postby dbarr » Mar 02, 2005 3:48 pm

I'm feeling frustrated b/c the side effects of Vitamin B-6 are not worth taking it right now. I feel so tired, irritable, and overall off - like bad PMS X 3. Also, I've been reading at various websites about peripheral neropathy, negative effects of long term use (like Kidney Stones, etc.) and it's scarry. So, I've stopped taking it.

I'm beginning to feel like there's nothing that will really help in preparation. Does anyone else feel this way??? We're TTC and I want something to do that makes me feel like I have control over HG this time. Just sitting and waiting is tooo scary!!
dbarr

Postby RebeccaM » Mar 03, 2005 12:39 am

I just wanted to let you know that I had the same experience with B6 when I was planning for my current pregnancy. It was frustrating, but there are sooooo many more things you can do to be prepared. Taking B6 is just one of many things. Keep readingin the "Preparation for HG" folder and you will find many great ideas, including several protocols posted by a few different ladies. There is so much you can do to prepare: pre-consult with docs, have drugs (or a prescription) on hand for the first sign of a positive, eat well, excercise, liver cleansing... These are just a few ideas. I know how scary it can be, but don't let the fear get you down. I believe that being prepared and proactive can help so much. Best of luck as you continue to prepare.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Mar 03, 2005 5:51 pm

Rebecca has given you some good suggestions. I might add to her list that some women have found acupuncture to work well for them and they begin this before they become pregnant. Also, you could prepare your household for the HG by making meals in advance, doing some extra cleaning etc so you'll have less of a burden on you when you are sick. Have you got a protocol written up yet? Met with your doctor? While these things won't prevent the HG from occuring again or lessen its intensity as the B6 may, it may make life easier for you if you have these things in order.

Good luck!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby dbarr » Mar 19, 2005 6:00 pm

Thanks for your responses. I just came back to read your suggestions again. I don't have much of a protocol, other than Zofran first trimester, possibly Zantac, and then Aciphex for the rest of the pregnancy - this is what worked for me last time. That and eliminate odors from the kitchen as much as possible. I'll figure out about taking care of Matthew from day to day. My husband is a seasonal worker and will be going back to work soon, but May 1st my parents, who live 3 doors down, will be back from FLA until the fall, and I know they'll help out tons.

I was wondering though about the acupuncture - I'm guessing people have done this out of pocket? I can't imagine my insurance would cover it - they prefer the more expensive inpatient stays! What's the first step in finding an acupuncturist? How often do you go? How long are sessions? What's it like? Has it helped?

Anyone tried hypnotherapy? I would try anything!!
Daniellle

One HG Pregnancy
Matthew - 2/1/03
dbarr

Postby RebeccaM » Mar 19, 2005 9:46 pm

Check out the "Alternative Healing" folder. There are some great and informative threads on accupuncture, and you could post those same questions there and hopefully get some good responses. (Sorry, I've never tried it so I don't have any info on it). Good luck!
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Mar 19, 2005 10:12 pm

Hi Danielle,

I don't know anything about hypnotherapy and I don't recall reading anything about it yet on this board but maybe do as Rebecca says and you may get some responses there from that forum.

As for the accupuncture, Robin (rdevine10) is currently prepping for pregnancy by getting accupuncture. Robin, would you mind answering Danielle's questions? I have no idea how it works in the States! And Danielle, if I don't see her respond in the next day or two I'll get in touch with her and ask her myself and let you know what she says!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Mar 21, 2005 9:05 pm

Hi Danielle,

Here's the link to the acupuncture thread that Rebecca refers to. Robin has posted on this thread just today about her experience with with it.

http://www.hyperemesis.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=953

I hope this helps. If you still have questions, let me know and I'll do my best to find out for you!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby nomore » Mar 21, 2005 10:02 pm

Hi Danielle,

So sorry, I didnt see I was asked to post here!!!

I think I asnwered a few questions about the accupunture in the other thread, but in regards to the insurance here goes it. Its really NOT covered by my plan. They do have a "negiated" reduced rate for service, so it costs $30 a visit, instead of $40. That doesnt include herbs, which he discounts to me at his cost, since he has me on so many right now, and we are friends. The 1st visit was the most expensive, costing $140, but regualr visits are cheaper.

I was seeing him twice a week, now just weekly. It is COSTLY, but, SO SO SO worth it. He has also agreed to treat me at home, if the HG is too bad for me to go to his office (he lives RIGHT next door, so it isnt out of his way) and he said if we had to, we would do DAILY treatments, but I have NO idea how we will be able to pay for that :)

We did set up a Flexible Spending account this year and that should help with SOME of the costs.

I cant stress how HAPPY Ive been with the treatments and how much I really feel it IS worth it, even if it doesnt help with the HG. I, of course, HOPE it does help with the hg :)

Hope that answers a few questions. Please feel free to ask more :)

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Mar 22, 2005 1:18 am

Thanks Robin! :)

Jo
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby dbarr » Mar 22, 2005 3:40 pm

Thanks ladies for your responses. Tomorrow I start calling acupuncturists in my area.

Joanna, I was reading on one of the other threads what you said about wanting twins. Made me laugh - one of my husband's friends and one of my friends both had twins around the time I had Matthew. I cried b/c it wasn't me having twins. I though life was so unfair, b/c I swore I would never get pregnant again. How funny. Now I look at those friends and their busy lives and think, I was soooo lucky I had one.... I would love two just the same, but one is sooooo much easier. It's amazing how being sick skews your perceptions!!!
Daniellle

One HG Pregnancy
Matthew - 2/1/03
dbarr

Return to Preparation for HG