Accupunture/Chinese Herbs Prior to TTC

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Accupunture/Chinese Herbs Prior to TTC

Postby nomore » Jan 27, 2005 9:04 am

Hi everyone,

I am coming up with a new game plan on how to tackle HG again. My next door neighbor is a Accupunturist/Chinese DR. After our termination this past fall, he approached my husband and I and mentioned he thought he might be able to help. (He is also a friend to us both).

We met with him yesterday in his office and talked about my medical history and pregnancy history. (I have GERD also, had my GB removed, and have had tummy issues since I was a child). We also talked and I explained my theory that my liver doesnt funtion well with the added stress of pregnancy. (I have lab work to support this theroy as well).

He talked about Chinese med principles of the body have different meridans and how they funtioned. Each meridan has differnet pulse points in your body. He then did this test (that involves running a current through your body-painless- that measures the "funtioning" of each of the meridans. Well guess what????? My liver, speen and digestive meridans are all messed up!!!! (Big surprise right..hahaha)

Anyways, here is how we are approaching this future pregnancy. I am begininng accunpture treatment 2x a week for 5 weeks to measure improvement in these meridans. His theory is, if we can get the body in harmony PRIOR to pregnancy, then my HG will be MUCH less. I am also going to take this liver function test (that involves spitting... its a alternitive med test) to see how my liver reacts to tylenol, motrin, etc. This will give him a more accurate idea of what herbs I should take to do a liver detox.

Obvoiusly, at this point, I have NO idea if this will work, but I am hoping that maybe it will at least make a future pregnancy more managable.

This Dr does not feel entirely comfortable giving me herbs while pregnant, unless we get to the utterly horrific point I was at this past fall, when all other "Western" meds have failed. He does want to continue the accpunture while I am pregnant (and seeign he lives next door to me, he said if neccesary he will come over here to give them to me, if I am too sick to go to his office. He mentioned daily treatments during the worst part of HG.

So, I just wanted to post this, as I am totally intrieged. Only time will tell if this will actually help :)

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby Natalie » Jan 27, 2005 10:31 am

Hi Robin

With regard to the liver meridian issue, one lady on here did a liver cleanse 1 month prior to ttc. She is now pg for the 3rd time and has just had regular MS after 2 HG pregnancies. Anyway, I'm going to try it. You never know (we have liver 'issues' when pg in our family). I know HGers all cling to some kind of hope of a miracle cure but it might be interesting to see what you chinese med guy thinks about you taking this prior to ttc.

Best wishes with your prep.

Love Natalie
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Jan 27, 2005 1:43 pm

Robin,

I do hope this route works for you. You will definately have to let us know if you are seeing some improvement after the accupuncture treaments! And it's nice that this guy is so close and so willing to go out of his way to help you out. Wouldn't it just be great if this works for you? :D

Will you still be considering "western" treatments prior to ttc and while pregnant?

Well, good luck! I will continue to keep you in my thoughts.

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby nomore » Jan 27, 2005 3:39 pm

Hi Joanna,

Yes, I will still be considering normal "western" treatments for HG while pregnant... Zofran, phenergan, steroids, unisom, b6, ginger, zantac etc. Prior to TTC, I will still take a prenatal (Rainbow Light prenatal, Just once daily) and will also make sure I am taking B6. We are still thinking around the June/July time frame.. so I still have some "planning" time left. In about 2 to 3 weeks I will probably start the liver detox, and contine some for of treatment (IE: milk thistle, dandeloin root) until we actually concieve. At this point, I still need to discuss with my Peri using these 2 items in pregnancy. I think I want to, but, will not if he stongly feels they are not safe. Both of these 2 things help liver fuction.

I have also gotten my Mom to agree to move in with us for up to 3 months this time to take care of Madison. (She lives 1000 miles away, although I have other family close by). Madison will also be a bit older and hopefully less needy(physically), and hopefully not as scared of me (she freaked last time each time I threw up... probalby becuase it was so violent).

This will be a careful process of making sure we are ready and willing to go the distance. I thought I was ready before, but clearly we didnt make enough emergency plans to follow through. I will NEVER go through another termination again. We have agreed on this, unless the Dr feels my life is in grave danger. Im hoping the pain of our loss will help keep me going if we actually do this.

Good luck to you too :)

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Jan 27, 2005 5:41 pm

Hi Robin,

Wouldn't it be nice if all three of us were pregnant at the same time? I know Natalie's time frame is April, mine is May/June and yours June/July. At least then the three of us could see each other through this...if we can make it to the computer! :lol:

So, are you going to stick pretty closely to what you had in your previous protocol and just add the herbs and accupunture before hand? That is absolutely wonderful that you mother will come and stay with you to take care of you and Madison. Luke is at a similar stage too in that I'm ever sick he gets really scared. It must be terrifying for them especially when you can't communicate to them what is happening. But other moms who have been through it twice say that they don't remember...

Your experience has made me think about having emergency plans in my protocol too - what do I do when I've reached the end of my rope? I haven't come up with anything other than I fear lasting grief and pain more than I fear temporary suffering. Have you had any ideas?

On a side note, have you begun the birthday plans for Madison yet? We're going to have a couple of Lukas' little friends over one morning and then have a big party on the actual day for family. Should be fun. I'm going to be more laid back about it though than his first birthday. LOL - would you believe that I spent over 4 hours just decorating his birthday cake? My idea this year is a cut a 9X13 cake up into sections and then stack and decorate the sections into train cars. A friend of mine tried it and it looked great!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby nomore » Jan 29, 2005 11:30 am

Joanna,

I went for my 1st treatment yesterday and dont I feel awesome last night and today :) (And I wasnt feeling terrible, but wow, I really feel good now!)

Accuputre is painless and was very relaxing (20 minutes of peace after the needles were placed).. ok so maybe 20 minitues of peace without a toddler would be just as refreshing to me (ha ha). But, interestingly enough, all my shoulder pain I was having is gone, and my minor congestion that I get in the winter is better today.

So, so far its at least enjoyable! I also started on some herbs this morning that help tummy issues and one that helps liver function. So far no reactions to them, although I am not sure what types of visable changes to expect from these.

As far as Madison goes.. yes got the birthday party plans in place. We are having a family party and then a kiddie party for her at her Gymastic program. I am pretty excited :) I cant believe she is going to be 2. Everyday she just seems so much more grown up. Shes definelty not a little baby anymore :(

I think emergency plans are a must (speaking as one who didnt have one before). Cover all your bases.. child care, emotional impact (and yes it was very different for me this time having a child and HG, as opposed to just having me to take care of). Know its going to be hard, and your guilt/saddness of inability to parent could strong. I planned for other aspects, but didnt realize how upset this would make me. (Espeically since I am Madisons primary caregiver, and we are practically attached at the hip. )

I wish I had advice for you. The way I think would be better for me is to have my Mom here in my house, where she can care for Madison, and I can still see her. MY SIL was caring for her this past fall (at her house). Even though she was in great hands, I still missed her imensely, as she wasnt here. It greatly contributed to my depression. And, the depression was so miserable on top of the HG.

It will be nice to have a few of us expecting at the same time. :) We are planning a trip to Disney World and to visit my Mom in early May (as a kind of last harrah before HG ).

In regards to my protocol, I will be tweaking it slightly. I want home hydration, but want to see if it can be done 3 times daily instead of continoius over a 24 hour peroid. I want to push for the little med Iv "bags" instead of IV injections (as I react MUCH better to these). I will psuh for IV Phenergan for nighttime (to help me sleep, instead of the suppistories, which dotn make me as drowsy). I will ask the zofran be started EARLIER this time.... right after confirmed pregnancy, as opposed to 6 weeks when it wasnt working as well already. I will also see if I see a therapist for the depression on a more regualr basis.

Most importantly, I wont go into this with too much hope that it wont be as bad.

Anyways, thats the plan. Good luck with the birthday party :)

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Jan 31, 2005 10:16 pm

Sorry for taking my time in getting back to you. Been really busy lately.

Anyway, I'm so glad to hear that you have planned a vacation to Disney World! How fun! Madison will just love it! And you so deserve some time to relax and have fun.

Sounds like you have some really fun plans for Madison's bday too! I got the great idea this week of having the kids decorate cupcakes as a "craft" so I don't need to decorate a cake for that party too! I went out and bough star, heart and rainbow sprinkles...should be fun....and messy! :wink:

So how are the accupunture treatments going? Are the herbs making you feel better too?

I can understand you anxiety and depression over being separated from dd. I think I will be the same way. Last time I resented HG destroying my life and I think this time it will probably be the same but more so I will hate the HG for making me unable to care for ds and unable to see all the milestones/first time things he will accomplish in those months. I don't know how much I will be able to care for him, but I'm going to try and give him a bath every night and that will be my thing to look forward to each day. I figure it shouldn't be too hard on my part -- I just have to sit and watch him and the toilet it right there! :wink:

Well, I have to run along now but we'll chat more later.

Hugs,

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby stephensmam » Feb 02, 2005 1:33 pm

Hi robin Im so sorry im just catching up now i didnt know you lost the baby im so sorry, Just about the detox and the acupuncture i really hope it works for you i did a 6 months detox with milk thisel and added a lot of vitimins to my daily allowance unfortunatly it didnt make a difference to me but hopefully with the combined accupuncture it will help you.
lots of love and hugs Jacqueline
HG pg no 1 28/04/98 darling son Stephen ivs only,pnd
HG pg no 2 01/09/04 darling daughter Sarah ivs , zofran, steroids, meclizine, b6.http://lilypie.com/Kids_Birthday_code.p ... y_code.php#
stephensmam
Been There Done That

Postby stephensmam » Feb 02, 2005 1:34 pm

Hi robin Im so sorry im just catching up now i didnt know you lost the baby im so sorry, Just about the detox and the acupuncture i really hope it works for you i did a 6 months detox with milk thisel and added a lot of vitimins to my daily allowance unfortunatly it didnt make a difference to me but hopefully with the combined accupuncture it will help you.
lots of love and hugs Jacqueline
HG pg no 1 28/04/98 darling son Stephen ivs only,pnd
HG pg no 2 01/09/04 darling daughter Sarah ivs , zofran, steroids, meclizine, b6.http://lilypie.com/Kids_Birthday_code.p ... y_code.php#
stephensmam
Been There Done That

Return to Preparation for HG