Non Medical HG Protocol

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Non Medical HG Protocol

Postby galit » Jun 02, 2004 2:28 pm

Hello Ladies,

I thought it might be helpful if I started a thread on a non medical protocol. This is a list of things I have found helpful. Obviously, not everything will apply to everyone, so just use what you want. If anyone has suggestions to add to this list I will be happy to come back to the original thread and add it, so that the list is complete on one posting.

galit

HG Protocol - Before you get pregnant or TTC

1) Get haircut for yourself, if you color your hair do it before TTC
2) Go to the dentist and get x-rays before you get pregnant
3) Cook extra food and freeze
4) Buy snacks in diff categories (salty, sweet, etc) to have on hand
5) Buy non perishable items in bulk so that husband (or you) will have less to shop for (eg. papertowel, toilet paper, paper plates etc)
6) Interview OB/midwife etc. for friendly HG medical support
7) Start taking B6, multivitamin (if you wish, if you can), folic acid and drink a lot of water
8) Write out your medical protocol
9) Look into alternative medicine in addition to medical protocol (only if you wish)
10) Call Motherisk if you would like extra info
11) Call your insurance company and find out your coverage for HG drugs, and home healthcare
12) (Optional) Look into your options of home health care companies (there is one that specializes in pregnancy, can't remember the name- edited - I believe it is called Matria)
13) If you pay the bills in your family try and set up as many as possible on an automatic withdrawal
14) Buy/borrow/make sure you have a small fridge or cooler where you can store cold drinks by your bed so you won't have to go to the kitchen
15) Buy any Birthday gifts/Holiday gifts for family and friends that you might need during your pregnancy
16) If you work, look into short term and long term disabiltiy as well as hospital insurance. Also you may want to consult with a lawyer about your rights in case your employer decides to terminate your employment while you are sick. See detailed post in Insurance and Employment Folder.
17) Save enough money to carry you through the HG
18) Let your friends and relatives know you are pregnant in order to get emotional and or physical support you might need.

If you have children:

1) DON'T WORRY, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT REMEMBER HOW SICK YOU WERE BUT THEY WILL THANK YOU ONE DAY FOR HAVING A GREAT SIBLING
2) Interview student babysitters for future use (if money permits)
3) Buy all clothes for children for the next season so that there will be less shopping while you are pregnant
4) Start a calender with all app. for children and yourself so that everyone has access to it and can see it
5) Write a list out of names of pediatricians, dentist, hair cutting places, favorite playdates, favorite kids foods etc. in other words, everything you take care of that your husband might not
6) Get haircuts for your kids
7) Take children to doctor and dentist app. if possible while you can
8) Interview cleaners for your house (if money permits)
9) Buy small toys, videos, computer games that are age appropriate. When you will be too sick to play with your child (for use with safe room) they should come in very handy.
10) Set up a safe room where you and your child can stay together
without you worrying about your child hurting him/herself (for younger children)
11) Buy extra birthday presents in case your child will be attending birthday parties while you are sick
12) Sign up your older children for afterschool programs to give you extra time to yourself when you get sick
[/list][code][/code]
Last edited by galit on Aug 01, 2004 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galit

Postby kirsty » Aug 01, 2004 6:55 pm

what an excellent list! We are ttc soon for no 3 and I have been trying to think of things that need doing beforehand. your list had so many idea I had not thought of, thankyou! :P
Kirsty
kirsty
Welcomed Friend

Postby Traci in Japan » Aug 01, 2004 8:49 pm

Galit, how about adding' tell everyone you know about hg and let them know you are planning a baby.' I know many people don't like to tell others during the first trimester, but I could never have kept a pg a secret and I needed support from the very beginning.

PS Nice to see you here. I hope all is going as smoothly as possible.
Traci in Japan
Australian, three boys (hg pregnancies and births in Japan)
Traci in Japan
Welcomed Friend

Postby galit » Aug 01, 2004 9:10 pm

Thanks Tracy and Kristy. Traci I will definately add that to my list, good idea. Everything is going well here. I will be 27 weeks tomorrow.

galit
galit

Return to Preparation for HG