Me and the cat

Share an uplifting story from your pregnancy or triumph over HG to help others find a way to laugh & remain hopeful. Post your children's updates, brag pics, and milestones.

Moderator: RebeccaM

Me and the cat

Postby teddi » Mar 17, 2005 2:31 am

Here's a funny one to picture.

Background: My family cat has early stage kidney failure. The poor thing gets daily hydration from lactated ringers subcutaneous under her scruff to replenish her electrolytes (sound familiar????) Well, being as I am now HG familiar with needles I am the only other person in the family besides my mom who will do her fluids. It's really simple- you just get a clean needle, pull up her scruff, stick her and very quick (IV open totally) infuse her w/ 200 ml.

One time while pregnant my parents were OOT and my mom called to ask if I would do Megan's meds. I had my 4 yr old track down the old bat (she's 19 years old) and bring her to me. I also was doing my hydration, but I grabbed my bag, hung it up next to hers. It must have been a truly pathetic sight: me with my PICC line and IV going, sticking a needle into the cat to do her fluids simultaneously. LOL, who else but an HGer could have memories of infusing another critter while infusing themselves???
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby PamelaRose » Mar 17, 2005 9:35 pm

LOL! Poor kitty! That's a great visual. Wonder if we could get fluids injected directly into the scruff of our necks? :wink: Yeouch - Reminds me of IM injections into the scruff of my butt....
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

right along with my puking cat

Postby IslandDreamer » Mar 17, 2005 11:20 pm

Do our cats know eachother?

That's quite a visual, Teddi. :lol:
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby amoberly » Mar 29, 2005 8:22 pm

PamelaRose wrote:Reminds me of IM injections into the scruff of my butt....

ohhh man, you have me crying! I didn't know there was such a thing as a "scruff" of your butt. Whew, needed a good laugh today, thanks!
Andrea <><
Mother of 2 HG babies

amoberly
Welcomed Friend

Postby PamelaRose » Mar 29, 2005 10:25 pm

LOL - I got a chuckle out of the thought of scruffy butts, too. :wink: For some reason, that term makes me think of the OB nurses who used to tear up when they gave me my Phenergan shots--"You don't have any butt or thighs left!" Oh, if they could see me now! :D
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to Stories of Hope & Humor